Once again...Gmail and (lack of) push notifications

IIGood

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S6
The Gmail app on my Verizon S6 (stock Marshmallow) is again lagging in showing push notifications. I've flushed cache, "uninstalled/reinstalled", everything I can think of short of a FDR. Is anyone else experiencing this?

To clarify...there are times when I'll get the push notification of having unread messages. I'll have 2 or 3 messages all of a sudden and then I go look at them, and one message could be from a few hours prior.

If I happen to be in Chrome on a PC, I may have a Gmail message waiting in my mailbox and nothing will have alerted my on the phone until I click the message.

Doesn't matter if I'm on wifi or carrier's data connection.

Anyone else have this happening? I remember this going on a while back too. Seems it's been rearing it's ugly head again.

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
I personally have not experienced this, but remember some prior conversations here about it. Sometimes I have G Mail open on my laptop and get the message on my phone first; not always but once in a while.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
What about background data restrictions or having power saving on. Wouldn't that delay notifications?

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I'm running into where I get them on my tablet much sooner than my phone right now so I think it's on Google end again. I just got a "bug fix" update today and one last week so I'll see of my lag goes away over the next few days but that's exactly what was happening to me last time we discussed this and it turned out to be on Google end

OP
IIGood

IIGood

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S6
What about background data restrictions or having power saving on. Wouldn't that delay notifications?

I suppose that is possible...however, not the case for me. I've got everything pretty open as far as background data, and the only thing in power saving mode is the location services.

It just happened again too. I got to work this morning around 7 am and opened up Chrome on my PC. Went to my Gmail and there was a message there from 7:53 PM last night...no notification on my phone until after I opened Gmail on the PC.

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
To be sure, double check your power saving mode. For my N5, I have to deliberately turn the restrict background data off in power saving mode.
4b43cb856a0fd539b5aed20244a13a05.jpg

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

OP
IIGood

IIGood

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S6
Dredging this up for some possible resolution.

While the exact symptoms outlined here hadn't been occurring as frequently lately, I had something similar going on as far as syncing goes. If I did anything to a message on my phone, that action would not carry over to the browser version of Gmail. So if I marked a message as read and then deleted it from my inbox on my phone, it would still show as unread in my inbox in the PC browser. Even a day or more later. Sync was not happening. Clearing cache, app data, reinstalling the Gmail app, etc...all yielded no result.

I posted this to the Google Support Forum and ultimately, removing my Google account from the phone and re-establishing it seems to have worked. I'm on day 2 and I'm seeing proper syncing between my phone and a PC browser. There's a slight delay of a few minutes but it's working now rather than just being completely broken.