adrynalyne

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
You could also use Google voice.

Froodychick

Reaction score
Messengers use text. I had just asked this same question at Verizon yesterday.

STIDRIVER

Reaction score
^^ your telling me if I get on Yahoo IM, it counts against text?? Why would it? Your on the internet going thru a website... nowhere near Verizons overpriced textville.

General_Lee86

Reaction score
no it uses data no text messages because I have ebuddy and it does not use any texts, they use only data. The Messaging app that comes with the droid uses Text but not any of the IM's that I know of.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Don't forget that if you have Google Voice forward responses to your Verizon number that will count as a text too.

Froodychick

Reaction score
OK here is the long version of my answer. My teen daughter had a blackberry because we had a discount on smartphone data packages through my husbands work. Well, the discount was cut, so the teen is losing her smartphone. When we were at Verizon looking at (dumb)phones, we told the sales rep the only thing she will really miss is Yahoo messenger. She uses Yahoo messenger alot. He told us that messengers don't use data, they use txt, and as long as you have unlimited txt there will be no increase charge. We didn't believe him, so we asked yesterday at another Verizon store and were told the exact same thing. This time I said I had hard time believing this (he looked a bit shocked, I guess it was rude, but hey I needed answers). He told us again that Yahoo messenger uses txt allowance, not data allowance so she can still use it with out added cost. We haven't switched phones yet so I can't it could still be wrong, but two different Verizon reps told us the same thing. Now if only I could get the teen to quit whining and pick a (dumb)phone!!

Technoman

Reaction score
OK here is the long version of my answer. My teen daughter had a blackberry because we had a discount on smartphone data packages through my husbands work. Well, the discount was cut, so the teen is losing her smartphone. When we were at Verizon looking at (dumb)phones, we told the sales rep the only thing she will really miss is Yahoo messenger. She uses Yahoo messenger alot. He told us that messengers don't use data, they use txt, and as long as you have unlimited txt there will be no increase charge. We didn't believe him, so we asked yesterday at another Verizon store and were told the exact same thing. This time I said I had hard time believing this (he looked a bit shocked, I guess it was rude, but hey I needed answers). He told us again that Yahoo messenger uses txt allowance, not data allowance so she can still use it with out added cost. We haven't switched phones yet so I can't it could still be wrong, but two different Verizon reps told us the same thing. Now if only I could get the teen to quit whining and pick a (dumb)phone!!

You need to be careful of what the Verizon store employees say, as they don't really understand everything all the time. They may have good intentions, but are not always correct.

With that said, I wanted to post to this with factual data from my billings.

With a "DUMB" phone that used the Verizon IM application that had ability to sign into all of the 3 major services (Yahoo, Windows Live - MSN, and AOL), every message was a text message against your plan.

However, when you move into the "SMART" phone world (BB, ANDROID), that may or may NOT be the case. I am currently using MEEBO IM for my Instant Messenger application, and it is pure DATA just like you would have on your PC. The only SMS or MMS messages that I am being billed for are the ones that I send from the "MESSAGING" APP that was preloaded on my phone.

The only way you would know what way a certain APP is sending it's messages is either use it and see, or from someone that is already using that APP. There could be some APP's that actually use "TEXT" plan messages, and others that are pure DATA.

Hopefully if you find someone in the forums that uses the particular APP, they can steer you the right direction.