On phone storage problem?

king72a

Reaction score
Earlier today my phone flashed a message about low memory. After some time looking around I noticed of the 10GB this phone has I was using 97% which was impossible as I didn't have that many apps loaded. It also was starting to lag. I made the decision to do a factory reset. After doing so I checked the On Phone Storage tab in the apps menu. The pic is showing I'm using 7GB of storage with no apps listed. Can anyone explain how this is this possible?

View attachment 56410

acejavelin

Reaction score
The "phone storage" is shared for lots of stuff, not just apps... It is the "HTC STORAGE" volume you get when you plug into your PC (the one with no name is the external SD card). There could be music, photos, videos, documents, or who knows what there.

What if you use an app like ES File Manager and browse through the sd card (ext_sd is the external microSD card)? Are there a ton of folders/files there?

I would power down, remove the microSD card, then power up into hboot (hold POWER+VOL DOWN well booting) then do a factory clear from there.

Last edited:
OP
K

king72a

Reaction score
Yeah I just figured out that there were a ton of folders and files in the root directory. Just went thru and cleaned them out. Thanks for the info though.

Islander53

Reaction score
The "phone storage" is shared for lots of stuff, not just apps... It is the "HTC STORAGE" volume you get when you plug into your PC (the one with no name is the external SD card). There could be music, photos, videos, documents, or who knows what there.

What if you use an app like ES File Manager and browse through the sd card (ext_sd is the external microSD card)? Are there a ton of folders/files there?

I would power down, remove the microSD card, then power up into hboot (hold POWER+VOL DOWN well booting) then do a factory clear from there.

Will you lose all your Apps if you do the factory clear that way ?

acejavelin

Reaction score
Will you lose all your Apps if you do the factory clear that way ?
Yes... If you are not losing all your apps you are not doing a factory reset. This is the best way to do a reset, then reinstall everything manually or use something like MyBackup or similar to backup the apps and restore them, but do not restore app settings and data!