on/off button not working

abullock22

Reaction score
anyone else experienced this?
now to turn on the phone i have to slide the phone open instead of hitting the on/off button at the top then enter my screen password - not so much a pain to turn on but each time i want to put the phone into sleep mode again i have to tweak the screen timeout mode to 15 seconds or change that back if i want to use the phone for extended periods as otherwise it goes back into sleep mode.
i took it back to the verizon store but the only thing they could offer was a downgrade to two POS smartphones, its not a big deal but can get annoying if i want to throw it into my bag/pocket etc i have to go back and change the screen timeout to 15 seconds and then stand and wait for the 15 seconds until it sleeps so it wont be butt dialing anyone when in my pocket

since verizon is not helping is there a security app or something which will give me a one click button to send my phone into sleep mode - that is the most annoying part of the button not working - i can deal with the sliding to turn it on (id rather not but what can i do) but waiting for it to sleep is driving me up the wall

or do you have any other ideas that could help?

Abe21599

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
try screen off. might be something useful although there is no way to turn off the screen with an app (says android)

OP
A

abullock22

Reaction score
thanks, just had a quick look - you might have the awnser, not bad for buck either!

tktouch12

Reaction score
this is covered by warranty (i had the problem and got it replaced) so just tell them

OP
A

abullock22

Reaction score
this is covered by warranty (i had the problem and got it replaced) so just tell them

as i said - i took it back to the verizon store but the only thing they could offer was a downgrade to two smartphones (no replacement droids left in-store)

OP
A

abullock22

Reaction score

as i said - i took it back to the verizon store but the only thing they could offer was a downgrade to two smartphones (no replacement droids left in-store)

o sorry i missed that. if you call customer service they will ship you one.

no worries - ill give that a try - been reading a lot of hoopla about droids not being able to be replaced however, maybe ill luck out!

tktouch12

Reaction score

o sorry i missed that. if you call customer service they will ship you one.

no worries - ill give that a try - been reading a lot of hoopla about droids not being able to be replaced however, maybe ill luck out!

ive gotten two replaced in the past 2 weeks over the phone. so it shouldnt be a problem

konreu

Reaction score
Screen Off for Android

try screen off. might be something useful although there is no way to turn off the screen with an app (says android)

Thanks for mentioning Screen Off here. (Disclosure: I am the creator of Screen Off for Android.)

For those who are interested, Screen Off is a convenient alternative to your power button for turning your screen off to save battery. Screen Off locks your screen and puts your phone to sleep as quickly as possible.

Screen Off works really well for phones that have awkwardly-placed power buttons, like the new Droid X or Droid 2. This application is also a great addition for phones that have thick (or waterproof) cases.

As Abe21599 mentioned, Screen Off does not immediately turn off your screen. For security reasons Android does not let applications sleep your phone. This does the next best thing and makes sure your phone goes to sleep as quickly as possible while making sure you do not accidentally press anything on your touch screen.

Please let me know if you have any questions, issues, or suggestions. Thanks for your interest!