On my 4th Droid

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Well if I had all the problems you're having I'd get another phone. Seriously. Apparently the Droid is not for you. Perhaps a blackberry would work for you.

nyijedi

Reaction score
No change, except dropped calls have increased. 11 since. Yesterday.
Still losing internet connection.

Sometimes cannot dial out, or dropping call before connection.
Awaiting vzw report.

I hate to say it, but the reality is - regardless of the source of the problem - nothing is going to come from the VZW report you're awaiting. A single subscriber is simply not important enough to any big company to jump through hoops to fix that subscriber's specific problem. I'm not saying it's fair, but that's just the way it is.

OP
J

jazzcat

Reaction score
Another non productive response. Thanks.
As I have said, I have experienced what a Droid can do, and I like its abilities.
There is nothing that I am doing to bring about an ability to dial out, or to have calls dropped, as I never had that problem with the other droids, or the blackberry I had.

I am seeing how it goes around this forum......if you love your Droid experience, all is well.

But if not, forget it.

My complaint is with THIS SPECIFIC phone, not ALL DROIDS!

Some of you guys are too much.

I simply view this phone as a tool, and as of now, it is erratic.

So the insinuation that I should get another device, or that I expect too much is not helpful.

Again, to clarify, no phone I have had in years has dropped calls like this recent phone......is that asking too much?

From the same location?

Is it user error?
How?

Is it the device or has something gone awry with my local towers?

Verizon seems to think it is one of those reasons,, as other people have complained recently.

nyijedi

Reaction score
I think your expectations may be unrealistically high. Dropped calls and slow/bad data connections happen with cell phones - it's just part of the technology. Most of the problems you've been describing are not out of the ordinary when using smartphones, regardless of the phone or the network. I'm fairly confident you have not gotten 4 bad Droids.

OK, you must be misunderstanding me.
As I have stated, at least 2 of the phones that Verizon sent as replacements did not need to be replaced.
I never said I had 4 bad phones.

What is becoming apparent is that now THIS phone, number 4, is acting differently than the other 3.

I do not even recall any phone since the ones I had mounted to my truck in the early 80's dropping calls like this!

It appears that Some here have not had any problems with their Droid, so the assumption is if anyone does, it is either how it is or operator error!

I agree that Verizon tech and customer support has been somewhat erratic.
I agree that there has been a learning curve for some people like me, even some people at Verizon.

Perhaps you are one of those who have had no such learning curve.

Again, after 4 PHONES, I have experienced what this phone can do.
I also have said that replacing an entire phone because of the battery door issue makes no sense.
Also, if I call Verizon for help, I do expect help.....not always a replacement.
Let me put it differently. Verizon has told me that the techs in the store can't do much except call the same tech support we can. They cannot diagnose the phone........usually they will just replace it.

The techs that you speak to on the phone can also do little more than reset the phone, and check if there has been reported trouble in your area.....which in my case is true.
If there is trouble with the towers nearby, they will attempt to fix that, or replace the phone and hope for the best.

Perhaps I have misunderstood the nature of this forum.
I had thought it was to be helpful to other Droid owners.

But I am rethinking that because of your post and some others.
I like the Droid.
I am frustrated that I am having difficulty.

Are you somehow offended by what I am saying about the Droid?
And somehow that offends
Again, after lurking here, I registered and posted what was happening with my Droid experience......Verizon has been great, this forum has been helpful, but comments like yours do not help.

I'm not at all offended by what you're saying about the Droid - I don't take any of this personally. I was simply saying that in my opinion, after reading through your posts, nothing is wrong with your Droid. You said yourself that after returning two previous Droids, you realized that the Droids themselves were fine and there were no actual problems with them - who's to say that this Droid isn't fine as well? On top of that, all of the latest problems you've been describing seem like a signal/service issue - not a problem w/ your specific Droid. In fact, most non-hardware related problems do indeed turn out to be caused by network or user issues- not problems with the phone itself.

In addition to the dropped calls issues, you've also mentioned problems w/ websites not loading (i.e., having a connection error while loading). Have you tried loading websites while on wifi? If the problem is with your Droid, you should see connection problems here as well.

Let me also ask you this - if you're so sure that the problem is with the phone and not with coverage in your area, why are you not insisting on another replacement? You said yourself that none of the previous phones had the issues you're having with this one. If this is the case, I don't see what VZW can do on their end.

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
jazz I would just have them send you out another device.

You've done enough on your end.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Another non productive response. Thanks.
As I have said, I have experienced what a Droid can do, and I like its abilities.
There is nothing that I am doing to bring about an ability to dial out, or to have calls dropped, as I never had that problem with the other droids, or the blackberry I had.

I am seeing how it goes around this forum......if you love your Droid experience, all is well.

But if not, forget it.

My complaint is with THIS SPECIFIC phone, not ALL DROIDS!

Some of you guys are too much.

I simply view this phone as a tool, and as of now, it is erratic.

So the insinuation that I should get another device, or that I expect too much is not helpful.

Again, to clarify, no phone I have had in years has dropped calls like this recent phone......is that asking too much?

From the same location?

Is it user error?
How?

Verizon seems to think it is one of those reasons,, as other people have complained recently.

LOL OK sorry for my useless post. Didn't mean to dirty up your already useless thread by pointing out the obvious. :rolleyes:

BzB

Reaction score

easy way to figure that out--try a different phone altogether. if still a problem, then it's vzw's network...they should give you the phone of your choice and fix the network problem or let you out of your contract. that's what i would do at least...

OP
J

jazzcat

Reaction score
Okay, thanks.
To further clarify, vzw has told me that other users in my area are experiencing problems related to signal.
They say that they are in the process of checking the nearby towers.

If they are OK, I have been promised another phone.

I am unaware if the problem in signal, both for internet or phone could only be at the tower only, and have assumed that it could be also the device. That is the impression that I have gotten from vzw.

I am not a phone tech, nor do I play one on TV.

If a replacement phone behaves like this, I will be forced to reconsider......but remain hopeful that these issues are correctable based on the previous droids.

Again, I have never asked for any of the replacements, and admit that are least two could have been dealt with differently by vzw.

Thanks again for understanding, and in the next couple of days should have more info.

Tillers_Rule

Reaction score
Okay, thanks.
To further clarify, vzw has told me that other users in my area are experiencing problems related to signal.

Well, being an RF Engineer myself, for one of the major cell phone companies I can tell you it takes all of 30 seconds to "check the towers". The line VZ gave you is a classic stall tactic, hoping you will either forget about the problem or think it cleared up. Plus, in most urban areas the average coverage radius is about 1- 1.5 miles. If you're having the problem everywhere, it's more than likely not the towers.

Good luck

OP
J

jazzcat

Reaction score
Okay, thanks.

Well, being an RF Engineer myself, for one of the major cell phone companies I can tell you it takes all of 30 seconds to "check the towers". The line VZ gave you is a classic stall tactic, hoping you will either forget about the problem or think it cleared up. Plus, in most urban areas the average coverage radius is about 1- 1.5 miles. If you're having the problem everywhere, it's more than likely not the towers.

Good luck

Wow. I thought differently about the towers, thinking that two feet of snow may have caused the problem.

But I understand what you are saying about the stalling tactics.

Today I experienced problems. Tonight no problems.
I may try to activate my curve to see if it has the same problem.

Thanks for your input.

OP
J

jazzcat

Reaction score
Update.
Just heard from vzw tech.

They say there is a new problem in my area that between 8am to 5pm , that there is "interference".

So that appears to eliminate user error, and device problems.

It has been a week since the trouble ticket has been issued, and it remains open.

They say they are working on a solution, and that hopefully that will be in the next few days.