On my 4th Droid

Wraith

Reaction score
No problems for me

First phone, and first smart phone no problems.

Friend with Droid is on 3rd though...had sliding keyboard no locking on one, forgot what other problem was. And he said other family members were on 2nd/3rd phones as well.

Mine appears to be built solidly.....

Nedaroth

Reaction score
Id suggest going to a different phone. I see this from time to time and just shake my head. The battery door issue is one thing. Seems like the other 3 instances are just you looking for a problem where there isnt one.

Hay be nice this isn't the WOW forum.

dos

Reaction score
Id suggest going to a different phone. I see this from time to time and just shake my head. The battery door issue is one thing. Seems like the other 3 instances are just you looking for a problem where there isnt one.

I don't think he is looking for a problem. As stated he was sent phones, when he/she probably didn't need a new phone, but just needed proper tech support. From what I read he likes the Droid. These forums are for help/support and sending him out the door helps no one. Honestly if I would have not found these forums, I would have probably sent my phone back. Most everyone here is helpful.

JamesX

Reaction score
My first was near perfect. It has slight static during calls if I use the normal ear speaker. But Spearker phone mode works fine. After 4 days the Slide started to Rattle and when I use touch screen the slide will tilt and make clicking noise as it hits the keyboard part.

Returned it and got New phone 2 days later.

The new phone is perfect (/knock on wood), though the Seidio Case didn't fit at first. Once the phone heated the case up, the latch clicked in place :)

otaku

Reaction score
such a so so so true statement. (some people do need a manual. wish the droid came with one) I printed one out from the web but it is very generic. I've looked at it a total of 10 minutes and then threw it away. (rather learn on the fly:)

my droid came with a manual: a PDF in the root folder of the SD card.

Jerome

Reaction score
I am on my third also. The Best Buy guy told me I couldn't bring it back and get a replacement any more and that they would have to send the phone off, but they would give me a loaner phone if it needed to be fixed.

first was my fault i broke the phone
second random reboots that a retest wouldn't fix.
third my physical keyboard stopped working as it should

Danthok

Reaction score
Still on my first Droid that I got release day! Had a couple problems with the proximity sensor but it seems like the 2.0.1 firmware update fixed my issue. Very happy with my Droid after reading all the others having so many problems.

OP
J

jazzcat

Reaction score
Hey! Play nice.
I am not imagining dropped calls and no connection to the internet!
When the phone works, its great.....and since I have had a Droid since November, I have seen what the phone can do.

As I said already, I don't care what the signal meters say or do as long as the phone works.

Just a few moments ago when I tried to log on this site, it went to about 70%, then stopped, and I got a failure to connect to the internet message.
After reboot, I could get on. This was not happening on the other phones, or were any dropped calls.
I have already said that there is a learning curve for me on this phone......I expect that is the case for many people, including Verizon tech support.....or at the very least their customer service.

My reason for asking my question here is because I respect the knowledge that is here.

So far, I am still trying to figure out whether it is the phone, or a signal problem.

So far, Verizon doesn't know either!
It just seems strange to go to such lengths to find out what is wrong. It seems as if I bought a sports car, had problems, dealer didn't know.....so I have to go online to diagnose it. I have far better things to do.
And for the record, I'm a dude.
A large one.

Thanks again.

OP
J

jazzcat

Reaction score
Update.

4 dropped call in one 20min conversation.
To another Verizon customer who also was not in a car or in a different site than normal.

Trouble ticket is still outstanding until approximately Tuesday.
Verizon tech support assures me they will fix the issue however necessary, whether it is the towers nearby or the phone..

Again this forum has been very helpful.
I will report what Verizon decides is the problem.

nyijedi

Reaction score
I think your expectations may be unrealistically high. Dropped calls and slow/bad data connections happen with cell phones - it's just part of the technology. Most of the problems you've been describing are not out of the ordinary when using smartphones, regardless of the phone or the network. I'm fairly confident you have not gotten 4 bad Droids.

BzB

Reaction score
The dropped calls are not normal. I live in a large metro area and haven't had a dropped call I can remember with any of the phones I've had on vzw. Have you checked the coverage map in your city, do you live in a remote area? If this has been an issue with multiple phones then there's likely an issue with the cell signal in your area or something is interfering with the phone.

OP
J

jazzcat

Reaction score
I think your expectations may be unrealistically high. Dropped calls and slow/bad data connections happen with cell phones - it's just part of the technology. Most of the problems you've been describing are not out of the ordinary when using smartphones, regardless of the phone or the network. I'm fairly confident you have not gotten 4 bad Droids.

OK, you must be misunderstanding me.
As I have stated, at least 2 of the phones that Verizon sent as replacements did not need to be replaced.
I never said I had 4 bad phones.

What is becoming apparent is that now THIS phone, number 4, is acting differently than the other 3.

I do not even recall any phone since the ones I had mounted to my truck in the early 80's dropping calls like this!

It appears that Some here have not had any problems with their Droid, so the assumption is if anyone does, it is either how it is or operator error!

I agree that Verizon tech and customer support has been somewhat erratic.
I agree that there has been a learning curve for some people like me, even some people at Verizon.

Perhaps you are one of those who have had no such learning curve.

Again, after 4 PHONES, I have experienced what this phone can do.
I also have said that replacing an entire phone because of the battery door issue makes no sense.
Also, if I call Verizon for help, I do expect help.....not always a replacement.
Let me put it differently. Verizon has told me that the techs in the store can't do much except call the same tech support we can. They cannot diagnose the phone........usually they will just replace it.

The techs that you speak to on the phone can also do little more than reset the phone, and check if there has been reported trouble in your area.....which in my case is true.
If there is trouble with the towers nearby, they will attempt to fix that, or replace the phone and hope for the best.

Perhaps I have misunderstood the nature of this forum.
I had thought it was to be helpful to other Droid owners.

But I am rethinking that because of your post and some others.
I like the Droid.
I am frustrated that I am having difficulty.

Are you somehow offended by what I am saying about the Droid?
And somehow that offends you?

Again, after lurking here, I registered and posted what was happening with my Droid experience......Verizon has been great, this forum has been helpful, but comments like yours do not help.

OP
J

jazzcat

Reaction score
The dropped calls are not normal. I live in a large metro area and haven't had a dropped call I can remember with any of the phones I've had on vzw. Have you checked the coverage map in your city, do you live in a remote area? If this has been an issue with multiple phones then there's likely an issue with the cell signal in your area or something is interfering with the phone.

Thanks for your comment.
I live in a tiny village located between NYC and DC called Philadelphia. ......

I have looked at where the towers are nearby, I recall three.
I also recall that Verizon said that if one is out of alignment it would affect the signal. That seems to be the nature of the trouble ticket that is still outstanding.

I agree, dropped calls should be a rare experience.
Thanks for your comment.

OP
J

jazzcat

Reaction score
No change, except dropped calls have increased. 11 since. Yesterday.
Still losing internet connection.

Sometimes cannot dial out, or dropping call before connection.
Awaiting vzw report.