OMG! Rooting and SPRecovery

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by chumunga, Feb 20, 2010.

1. chumunga

chumunga New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Where do I begin... This rooting business seems to be so confusing. I read Math3w threat on how to root, and that was understandable. But the part about Flashing imagine and installing SPRecovery would be easy except the links are all broken, I have tried to google but everything leads me to shole.info which is down.

And where do you get roms from? What are the rules regarding roms? how do I pick a rom, meaning compatibility for my Droid. Is there a website I can go to rather then reading a hundred post where no one wants to tell you the answer rather then tell you to go read another post.

I would like to learn how to do this but i feel theres no way to learn it.

2. Corinacakes

Corinacakes Super Moderator
    Theme Developer

Ratings:
    +3
    Welcome to the forum Chumunga :D Matth3w is having personal problems right now or he'd be right here helping you. Sholesmod is down right now too. If you don't want read more posts on how to do this you're just going to have to wait until someone has the time. Be patient....you'll get there soon.

3. MM1 Payne (US Navy)

Ratings:
    +0
    Okay this does it lol, i am gonna make a GOOD video on how to root on youtube. I will noo dought be representing Droid forums.net and no one eles.

4. cupfulloflol

cupfulloflol Senior Member

Ratings:
    +23
    AllDroid - View topic - SirPsycho's Recovery 0.99.3b

There is a subsection of the forums here that has ROMs in them, as well as which one has what ( Android Roms - Droid Forum - Verizon Droid & the Motorola Droid Forum ). Some are 2.01 ROMs some are 2.1 ROMs. Read about each one, and their problems in their thread. Each ROM is a little different. Some cosmetic, some performance.

Compatibility shouldn't be a concern, going from one ROM to another you may have to wipe some things, just read up. Most ROMs have instructions, telling you if you need to format something or not, or what special steps are necessary.

I really have no clue what sort of website you would be looking for. Forums are much better than a website as you can see people's problems. If 10 or so people, are having a problem with something on the ROM, chances are something is wrong with that portion. You really only need to read the last 10 or so pages, because the previous pages, and probably many of those pages are about previous versions of the ROM. Also, just because someone has a problem with something on the ROM doesn't mean it is the ROM's fault. User error does occur. I highly recommend reading, there are a lot of other forums (like the alldroid one I linked to where you can download SPRecovery), and a lot of knowledgeable people on both forums.

#4 cupfulloflol, Feb 20, 2010
    Last edited: Feb 20, 2010
  5. Vulcan1600

Vulcan1600 Super Moderator
    Staff Member Premium Member

Ratings:
    +292
    I think that would be great if you would make that video for us not as technically minded.

6. nerdbox08

nerdbox08 Active Member

Ratings:
    +0
    rootyourdroid.info has a lot of good information for someone who is just starting.

It's difficult right now because your are having a hard time getting some of the basic files you need to get this done but those necessary files are sometimes hosted by other people... you might find alternate links in the individual rom thread.

I have to agee about reading up on each rom. That is the best way to get a feel for what each one can do. Picking a rom is like picking shoes.... we all have a different preference.

I'm on my phone right now and at work, but I'll see if I can't get those couple of needed files uploaded for you.

I'll be back!

7. nerdbox08

nerdbox08 Active Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I can't for the life of me find a file host that will allow me to upload from my phone. It appears all the upload dialogs are flash based. I can email you the flash_image and 0.99.3b if you want though. Let me know.

8. christim

christim Super Moderator
    Rescue Squad

Ratings:
    +2
    #8 christim, Feb 20, 2010
    Last edited: Feb 20, 2010
  9. frankieg22x

frankieg22x Member

Ratings:
    +0
    isn't there an app that walks you through the entire process?

10. christim

christim Super Moderator
    Rescue Squad

Ratings:
    +2
    There is an app and it will bring you back to stock but at the moment I don't think it will let you root, install sprecovery, nor install a rom. I was planning on rooting and last weekend started grabbing the needed files because I'd hate to be half way through something and a site go down. Unfortunately that is what happened and what the OP needed don't work via the instructions he had. I'm sure all will work fine soon but during this transition period for the developers of this app things are offline while they work on reorganizing.

11. mitchb2

mitchb2 Member

Ratings:
    +0

Wow, great site! Everything is laid out in detail and easy-to-digest chunks.

Here's my question. My understanding of all of this is that the 2.1 stuff currently running is based on the Nexus ROM, is that correct?

At this point, with Droid 2.1 so close to release, would it be better for those of us who haven't rooted yet to just wait for the devs to get their hands on the Droid version and put out those Droid-optimized ROMs?

12. hookbill

hookbill Premium Member
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +8
    Somebody said they got their hands on a Droid 2.1 Mod but I'm not certain.

I have rooted, returned to stock, rooted and returned to stock again. I won't say that running sholes 2.0.5 didn't improve some things, it did but I think there is a little bit of over hype on some of these things. I'm just going to wait on 2.1. YMMV.