OMG I got Yahoo Mail to work!

roguephoenix

Reaction score
ok, the only way i go this to work was with k-9 after 3 battery pulls. i don't know exactly why the first two didn't do it but now it seems to be working. i'm crossing my fingers that it keeps on working and not in spurts. so for people who are having problems connecting to yahoo mail via imap, DO NOT USE THE DEFAULT EMAIL APP. go download k-9. i followed the instructions here:

Motorola Droid - Setting Up Yahoo Mail IMAP | Mobile Technology Deals and Help

keep doing a battery pull if it doesn't work the first time. eventually it will. it did for me. i'll post an update regarding the stability of the connection. hope this helps someone at least.

THIS IS SOMETHING TO TRY IF YOU ARE UNABLE TO SET UP YAHOO MAIL VIA THE REGULAR APP THAT CAME WITH YOUR DROID. TRY THE NORMAL WAY FIRST BY CLICKING ON THE LINK BY THEKC ON THE POST BELOW.

Last edited:
OP
R

roguephoenix

Reaction score

this is only for people who are having errors with the default mail app. if it worked for you then aren't you special. i hope that post of yours wasn't meant to be sarcastic because it could easily come across as such. because if you didn't know yet, the default email app doesn't seem to want to connect to imap yahoo servers. some can and some can't. this is for people who still get the "username or password incorrect" error even though they follow that guide precisely.

OP
R

roguephoenix

Reaction score
It was a reference, you need to relax.

which i don't get why because i already referenced a guide. o_O if someone were to follow what you referenced instead, then they'd be back to square one since i also tried that video and it didn't work for me.

sorry if i jumped there but with all the problems i've had setting up yahoo mail, you have no idea how many sarcastic trolls come out of the woodwork to post something stupid just so they can post something when people are actually frustrated getting something to work.

Last edited:

thekC

Reaction score
I'm happy you got it working, most definitely. My point of posting that is for new Droid owners (many joining this site daily for instance), who might come across this thread and think they might HAVE to download this app. You provided your information for a fix for those who might have an issue, I posted for those who might have thought that was the only way to get Yahoo email working. Hence, reference. A little bit of context never hurt anyone. :)

OP
R

roguephoenix

Reaction score
I'm happy you got it working, most definitely. My point of posting that is for new Droid owners (many joining this site daily for instance), who might come across this thread and think they might HAVE to download this app. You provided your information for a fix for those who might have an issue, I posted for those who might have thought that was the only way to get Yahoo email working. Hence, reference. A little bit of context never hurt anyone. :)

ah ok. i'll make a change in the post to reflect.

thekC

Reaction score
Ah, cool, no worries. Sorry if I came across jerk-ish, it certainly wasn't my intent. I'm glad you got it going (Yahoo), I remember how amped I was when I found the 'fix' I posted here. I hope this helps others that were having the same issue as you. Cheers.

irish23

Reaction score
This doesn't work either. Please be patient. I just got my Droid today. And I really need to figure this out. I have two yahoo accounts that are for my work. So any other suggestions?

MonkeyTime

Reaction score
I got both of my yahoo accounts working on my phone w/out a problem. My wifes phone on the other hand gave me fits. When in doubt, remember you're dealing with a computer. Shut itdown and try again. After that, it worked, just like it did on my phone.

For the record, those same settings work for ymail too. I found the trick on another forum. You have to set up a regular yahoo adress first to get Android to accept the servers addresses. Then after that address is working, you can go into the account settings and change the UN and PW to your ymail leaving the other settings as-is.

MonkeyTime

Reaction score
I got both of my yahoo accounts working on my phone w/out a problem. My wifes phone on the other hand gave me fits. When in doubt, remember you're dealing with a computer. Shut itdown and try again. After that, it worked, just like it did on my phone.

For the record, those same settings work for ymail too. I found the trick on another forum. You have to set up a regular yahoo adress first to get Android to accept the servers addresses. Then after that address is working, you can go into the account settings and change the UN and PW to your ymail leaving the other settings as-is.

OP
R

roguephoenix

Reaction score
for those who tried to do this with wifi on, turn it off, do battery pulls and make sure it is off before you try to set it up. make sure you are trying to set this up through the k-9 mail application from the app market and not the standard email app that came with your phone. also when you're setting up the email, after you press manual, if you look at your username, the @yahoo.com has been removed, as per the instructions, make sure you put it back. see if that works. mine still works right now. i had it on "check every minute" and had no problems. now i'm going to turn the frequency down to 15.

10ACTony

Reaction score
Check your sent messages on the web

for those who tried to do this with wifi on, turn it off, do battery pulls and make sure it is off before you try to set it up. make sure you are trying to set this up through the k-9 mail application from the app market and not the standard email app that came with your phone. also when you're setting up the email, after you press manual, if you look at your username, the @yahoo.com has been removed, as per the instructions, make sure you put it back. see if that works. mine still works right now. i had it on "check every minute" and had no problems. now i'm going to turn the frequency down to 15.

Can you go on the web and look at your sent messages. I have(as well as several others in another thread) have hundreds of copies of the messages I sent from my phone. I suspect this problems is wide spread but I doubt many people look in that folder very often. I just happened to stumble on it a couple days ago. Let us know what you find.

home38er

Reaction score
I just looked at my Sent mail from the Web access to my Yahoo mail I had one mail listed over 1000 time and others that had over 120 copies of the same sent mail!
Something is VERY VERY wrong with the DROID and Yahoo.