OMFG..My phone just dropped on carpet'd floor and there's a huge crack on it.. :(

OP
E

EpyonZeroX

Reaction score
Will be posted along with the new phone that will come in today.

Sp3aK

Reaction score
I hope you do get screwed over. You deserve it for cheating the insurance policy by rooting your phone then unrooting it just to get it covered.

I'm sure you're the kind of person that would get a cracked windshield then call and get glass coverage, then call later to get it replaced.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
I hope you do get screwed over. You deserve it for cheating the insurance policy by rooting your phone then unrooting it just to get it covered.

I'm sure you're the kind of person that would get a cracked windshield then call and get glass coverage, then call later to get it replaced.

WTF? The OP didn't crack the screen and then get insurance. As I understand it, the only way that rooting voids the warranty anyway is if they think that it caused the problem...IE a SOFTWARE malfunction, damage to the CPU from overclocking, etc.

Rooting did NOT cause the screen to crack.

Sp3aK

Reaction score
WTF? The OP didn't crack the screen and then get insurance. As I understand it, the only way that rooting voids the warranty anyway is if they think that it caused the problem...IE a SOFTWARE malfunction, damage to the CPU from overclocking, etc.

Rooting did NOT cause the screen to crack.
Didn't mean to imply that. What I'm trying to say is that you are purposefully doing something that voids the warranty, then when something happens (related to the problem you have or not) you want to get things all fixed so you can get your phone warrantied. That's pretty crappy.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
If you're going to condemn everyone who unroots because they have a problem with the phone that's completely unrelated to rooting it, you've got your work cut out for you.

This really doesn't affect you in any case anyway, because it's not like it voids your warranty.

Flomaster

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score

Didn't mean to imply that. What I'm trying to say is that you are purposefully doing something that voids the warranty, then when something happens (related to the problem you have or not) you want to get things all fixed so you can get your phone warrantied. That's pretty crappy.
umm.... Rooting has nothing to do with a cracked screen... I have insurance on my phone and should my screen crack or break you BET YOUR butt im going to have it replaced. insurance companies are taking in money hand over fist. so when your phone legitimately is broken and you PAY the deductible whats wrong with that?

actually YES that is why I pay every month for glass coverage on my insurance policy when I get a crack I get it replaced for FREE.. and rightfully so as I am paying for the coverage.

Had the OP went into verizon and tried to get a new phone for FREE when in fact he is the one who damaged the phone then I could see a problem, but he is paying a deductible so in my eyes everything is legit Root or NO ROOT.
a quote from Asurion website
Wireless Phone Insurance

Complete peace of mind for the entire family!

• It can happen to you: 60 million phones are lost, stolen or damaged each year
  • Without insurance, the average cost of replacing your phone is $300!
  • Our coverage protects you from phone loss, theft and damage (even water damage)
  • We offer fast, easy replacement with overnight shipping to any address you choose
  • International replacement options available

Act fast! In most cases, you can only add insurance within 15 to 30 days of activation or upgrade
NO WHERE does it say that if your phone is rooted you are CHEATING the system.
**end of rant....

-=Jason=-

K

killabyte

do you get a new phone or a refurb? i dropped mine and scuffed the corners, plus it's showing it's been wet even though it hasn't. been thinking of doing a claim.

@ Sp3ak - yea poor insurance companies. they do no wrong other than take your money to get your back if you have a problem, then go up on your deductible or drop you.

god forbid you have medical insurance and get cancer or some other problem. insurance is a big ass scam to begin with so who is ripping who off? go crawl back under your rock, the sun is bright out here in the real world.

Shadez

Super Mod/News Team
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.droidforums.net
Current Phone Model
HTC One M8
Twitter
@Shadez69
do you get a new phone or a refurb? i dropped mine and scuffed the corners, plus it's showing it's been wet even though it hasn't. been thinking of doing a claim.

@ Sp3ak - yea poor insurance companies. they do no wrong other than take your money to get your back if you have a problem, then go up on your deductible or drop you.

god forbid you have medical insurance and get cancer or some other problem. insurance is a big ass scam to begin with so who is ripping who off? go crawl back under your rock, the sun is bright out here in the real world.

If its insurance, I think you get a new phone. If its warranty, a refurb.. not 100% tho..

K

killabyte

cool. the part that got scuffed is the frame that goes around the glass. i guess it's aluminum, not sure. i had to file the scuffs off the corner and then those parts were shiny silver so i keep coloring it with a sharpie. i found a frame on ebay a few days ago and got it for 30 bucks shipped so i'll try that route first.

it seems a little slow to respond to rotating the screen after the drop but i've loaded sholes mod 1.0 on it and for all i know that could be some of that problem.

Sp3aK

Reaction score
Okay well I guess I was in the wrong mood to be responding to a thread like this and tried to stretch a weak point I was trying to make. But I do have a neutral question I would like answered.

If rooting doesn't matter in a warranty case then why bother un-rooting in the first place? Don't waste your time, get your new phone, send old back!

Flomaster

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Okay well I guess I was in the wrong mood to be responding to a thread like this and tried to stretch a weak point I was trying to make. But I do have a neutral question I would like answered.

If rooting doesn't matter in a warranty case then why bother un-rooting in the first place? Don't waste your time, get your new phone, send old back!

and if it were me I wouldn't bother to unroot the fact its rooted is a moot point when replacing the phone due to a cracked/damaged screen.

-=Jason=-

OP
E

EpyonZeroX

Reaction score
just got the phone in...battery AND 16 gig sd card included. noice. alright time to re-root and start from point one.

Does anyone here use mybackup pro? and is it useful?

OP
E

EpyonZeroX

Reaction score
observation..and a lose at this point for me..the buttons HAVE indeed been changed. my droid right now the physical keyboard has the buttons raised and "bumpy" meaning it is very friendly to the fingers/pressing. This droid they sent me..the buttons are FLAT..and..i derno unsatisfying..FUDGE i wish my carpet wasn't full of doom :[

Flomaster

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
observation..and a lose at this point for me..the buttons HAVE indeed been changed. my droid right now the physical keyboard has the buttons raised and "bumpy" meaning it is very friendly to the fingers/pressing. This droid they sent me..the buttons are FLAT..and..i derno unsatisfying..FUDGE i wish my carpet wasn't full of doom :[
DAMN you are one of the lucky ones who got the "SWEET" keyboard the flat buttons are standard now ;(

-=Jason=-

OP
E

EpyonZeroX

Reaction score
Yeahyeah planning to send it back and hope for another one with raised buttons..think I should? What do you mean sweet keyboard..? Standard?! Wtf that keyboard is flat and ugly and totally not designed by for the typical texter..I am really sad now, its like I traded off my physically disabled child for a really physically child with posture problems.