Old school in a new era.

TROYbilt

Reaction score
Hello every one and good afternoon. I am TROYbilt and I am a new member to this site. I went back to college at the very young age of 42 back in 2012, majoring in (instrumentation technologies.) I have one semester left this fall before I have earned my AAS. While attending college I also took a computer maintenance course and started touching on fixing and maintenance of these new phones, I-Pads and a few other electronic wonders that I felt can only strengthen my major, considering most all plants these days are automated with either a PLC or DCS system. So I have gained a couple "sacrificial lambs" (Huawei M865) to play and learn with. I am focusing on "operating systems, ROM, and maybe how to make it a WiFi only phone for free service from either my internet modem, company modem, or school modem, since this is where I spend most of my time. So I will apologize up front if I am a little slow at first on the correct terminology, and order of operation. But please be patient with me, as my goal is actually to learn. Thank you all very much and happy transmitting!

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
Welcome to df

Jeffrey

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7 Plus JB
Welcome, glad you joined us.

OP
T

TROYbilt

Reaction score
Thank you all very much, and I hope to make many friends on here. As I mentioned I am new to the phone thing. I have worked my way through desk tops and laptops, also a few tablets and notebook computers. I have about a 75% success rate at fixing these electronics, and about a 84-86% success rate at taking a bunch of differant everything's and making one good something. I have learned my way around windows 95,98,Xp, Vista, 7, and just received 8. I can do most of the norm on computers, (O.S. installs, partitioning drives, device manager, not to mention most of the office software.) On these phones it is a terrestrial experience, and my first order of business is putting a new O.S. on my Huawei M865. I would be all ears to any advise offered. My end goal for the phone is to have it as a WiFi only phone with my Google voice number on it. Maybe some text messaging, but that is not very important. I am hearing about "Viber" and am wondering if this is the correct path. Once again sorry for the lack of knowledge on these topics, but please know that this is my first sacrificial lamb to play with and see what happens, either good or bad, something is going to change on this first phone as I learn. Thank you all very much and have a wonderful evening.

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum.
Just about any Android phone can be put into airplane mode then turn WiFi on, voila a WiFi only phone. I've got 3 retired Androids that I use like that for my daughter to play her games on.

Sent from my LG-D801 using Tapatalk

smalltowngirl13

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Z Force 2
Twitter
smalltownlife13
Hello and welcome to the forum...best of luck!