"Old Geezer" (78) needs advice on DROID ...Pls help

OP
M

Montana Griz

Reaction score
Use Droid X as Modem for Lap top????

I would also like to point out that if you chose to you could also use your Droid X as your modem while your at home. There are at least two APPs that I know of that will allow you to do this, PDAnet and Easytether.

This could save you some money on your monthly bill.

As stated I now use a Verzion USB 760 Wireless Modem that just plugs into the side of the LapTop..................are you educating me to the fact that by using one of the Apps you mentioned (after I get my Droid X), , I can eliminate the use of the USB 760 to get on the Internet?? That would be great.....and save me $60. per month. Are there any negatives or "down-side" aspects to going this route??...i.e. increased battery usage? increases 'data' usage(I think I'm asking an intelligent question??);
anything else I should know about going this route? Thank you..

OP
M

Montana Griz

Reaction score
REGARDING THE "POST" FROM 78 yr old GEEZER........THANKS TO ALL OF YOU FOR YOUR THOUGHTS, OPINIONS AND SUGGESTIONS>>>> I REALLY APPRECIATE IT!............Montana Griz:):happy2::yr1:

Uprangewilly

Reaction score
Yes, that is exactly what im telling you. I have just recently got myself a Droid 1 and that is what I use to get internet at my home. No DSL or Cable on my road.

Some one please correct me if Im wrong about the Droid X being able to do this. But considering I can do it on my Droid 1 I just assume it will work the exact same way as a Droid X.

What you do is download PDAnet onto your phone, thats the one I use, and then hook the phone up to your PC via the USB cable that comes with your Droid X. Now that you have the phone and PC connected via the USB, start PDAnet on your phone. Follow the instructions to load PDAnet on to your PC. There will be a little Droid icon in your PC tray, down at the bottom by the time, etc.
Once its on your PC all you need to do to use the internet on your PC is connect the Droid to your PC and go to PDAnet on the Droid and select "Start PDAnet" or something like that and then go to the little icon on your PC and click it and then select "connect" and it should get you online.

Its all very easy and PDAnet walks yu right through the process. Trust me, I never had a smart phone up until about three weeks ago and I was able to do this the first day.

Please, if I have given out incorrect information to this gentlemen please correct me. But this is how I got internet service in an area that only offers dial up. I couldnt be happier with my Droid!

As far as the battery, while the Droid is hooked up to the PC via the USB it will charge the Droid at the same time. So no worries about that. And yes all the internet usage you use while "tethering" does go against your data usage. But put it this way, Ive had my droid for three weeks now and I have only used around 1.8 Gb. And i use mine for Xbox live and things like that. So I wouldnt worry too much about the usage unless your watching you tube or something constantly. And yes you will save $59.99 per month.

Anyway sorry such a long post but I just want people to understand what these great little "phones" are capable of and how easy it is. And as far as rooting goes, you shouldnt need to root for the things you are going to be doing.

Good luck and if you have anymore questions come back and ask. This forum is a great forum to get info from.

Last edited:

Lordbutt

Reaction score
From Geezer (68) to Geezette:

Live dangerously, route your phone today. Then install Simply Stunning (Blue theme) and wonder at the color.

bigd73

Reaction score
If you root your phone you can remove the 3g hotspot app and install a third party app that lets you bypass that data charges... FYI.

2horses

Reaction score
And yes, android 2.2 and 2.2 froyo mean the same thing. Each version of the OS has been named after a dessert. 2.1 is called Eclair, for example.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk
Thank you for that! I've been wondering where they got FroYo (Frozen Yogurt) from, thinking Lord of the Rings was involved somehow. Love these forums!

christim

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Loving this thread, great advice. We got my mother in law her first computer 4 years ago. She lives in an area that only has dial up internet access. I just called some major broadband isp's to see what their expansion plans are out her way and one of them will do a drive-by to check out the area, do a survey and have a nay or yea answer in a week.

Her internet is slow, the pc is now slow. The plan might be broadband and a bigger tablet like what motorola is planning for the fall. This would be for her birthday when she turns 80. she's also not very techie but likes her Facebook and email to stay in touch. A touchscreen tablet will be an interesting transition.

OP
M

Montana Griz

Reaction score
:redface:Background info:
I am going to buy a Droid X to take on a 1600 mile trip back to IL for my 60th reunion in October. I presently use a Verzion Motorola 325i cell; a Verzion USB 760 Broadband connection for my LapTop and get my TV reception through DishNetwork via a signal from a Verzion Tower on the other side of the valley. (I live in a valley in RURAL western MT) and get almost 2 out of 3 bars signal strength on my cell and 1 to 2 bars signal strength on the Verzion USB 760 Broadband Modem for LapTop. I've never had a "smart phone", but I've been reading various reviews etc and think a DROID would take the place of me taking: my cell; my 5 MP camera and my Lap Top with me on my trip..............Oh, also please understand, I AM NOT very knowledgeable in this "electronic gizmo" stuff, know just enough to get by.

Questions:

1/ I'm, thinking of getting a DROID X. From what I've read (but don't fully understand), I want the "2.2" Froyo version. (I hope that is the way to phrase it).........(NOTE: Also from my reading, I don't want the DROID 2. I like the larger screen size & the 8 mp camera of the Droid X.)

2/ In order to get the DROID (as described above), it appears that I will have to wait until it is available to the buying public. Since I would like it by OCT 1st,,, does it seem "possible" that I could the one I want by then?? I realize anyone's answer is only a "guess"......

3/ Any suggestions as to where is the best place to place an order:.........
The local Verzion Store in my local town (Hamilton) population about
5000; on the Internet (ANY SUGGESTED SITES please); or with
Verzion direct here on the net.

4/ Also, I'm very willing to "Pre-order" ASAP, if that's the way to do it, and get what version and features I want. How do I do this?

5/ What's this term: "fully rooted" mean, as related to the DROID X, and/or "2.2", and/or "Froyo?"

6/ Does the term: "Android 2.2", and the term:"2.2 Froyo", mean the same??

ANY and ALL suggestions, comments and opinions will be greatfully received. :huh::unsure: .......Sorry I'm so dumb! I'd really appreciate your help.

......Hey, I gotta tell somebody........... My Droid X is supposed to arrive on WED 8/4:icon_ banana:dancedroid. According to the Verizon rep (very helpful and he understood how little a "78 yr old geezer" knows about "this stuff"., any way, it's equipped with the 2.2 Froyo and the 1.13.604 MB810 latest system up grade...............whatever that means:confused:.

I ordered the book "Droid for DUMMIES" from Amazon , but won't be out for about 6 to 8 weeks. Also got an HDMI Cable; car charger; belt case; 2 screen protector 'see thru things'; a dash board mount (bean bag type);
and I already had a Blue tooth Motorola H500 and a "Dongle" (don't know why I bought it, what's it do?)---never used them with the old phone, but
will get some local "techy" to educate me. Like a kid at Christmas!!
:clap::beer2::yeahbaby01:

Well anyway, I'm excited....can't wait to take some pics of those 'ole "CheerLeader Gals" at the reunion....can you imagine how they've changed after 60 some years:icon_eek:.....me too:):tongue:.

OP
M

Montana Griz

Reaction score
It's been awhile how is the phone treating you?

Just got back from the 3700 mile R/T for the 60th H.S. Reunion......Used the Droid X and had no problems, except that I am probably only using 2% of it's capabilities.......I've got a lot more to learn......the book "DROID X for Dummies" is quite helpful. Used the Droid frequently to check out the weather 4 to 5 hours ahead of my location while driving, it was a great help. Have to admit even though the carmera works great, I used my Canon Digital for most of the pics I took......I'm so familiar with it, I wanted to be sure I didn't mess up (using the DROID) on some on the important pics.............but I'm getting more confident using it as I take more pics of less importance.

Really like the Voice Command capability.......used it often while driving.

So, 'so far so good'..... but have a lot to learn.

lewwill

Reaction score
It's been awhile how is the phone treating you?

Just got back from the 3700 mile R/T for the 60th H.S. Reunion......Used the Droid X and had no problems, except that I am probably only using 2% of it's capabilities.......I've got a lot more to learn......the book "DROID X for Dummies" is quite helpful. Used the Droid frequently to check out the weather 4 to 5 hours ahead of my location while driving, it was a great help. Have to admit even though the carmera works great, I used my Canon Digital for most of the pics I took......I'm so familiar with it, I wanted to be sure I didn't mess up (using the DROID) on some on the important pics.............but I'm getting more confident using it as I take more pics of less importance.
Really like the Voice Command capability.......used it often while driving.

So, 'so far so good'..... but have a lot to learn.

Way to go Montana Griz! As one old geezer to another I am loving my X. Use it for almost everything I used my laptop for. Great for travel.