Old D2 Rom User with a Few Questions

tygerchylde

Reaction score
So, I used to use bootstrap to switch between stock and the froyo liberty rom on my D2. I made backups of stock and and liberty and used to switch back and forth as needed. My question is about whether or not I can still do that on a Razr. Mainly, I used the stock rom for testing changes and ran liberty normally. I really like ics, but I'm interested in seeing what is out there for roms. I really don't want to have to reflash and reroot ics every time. Also, I was looking for rom recommendations. I have never used anything but Liberty, and I kept my D2, on Froyo/Liberty, for almost 3 years.

brad92

Silver Member
Reaction score
Try Eclipse 1.2 and Safestrap 2.0. I think you'll like it. Its much like Liberty was for the DX/D2.

Everything works, its smooth and most of the Blur is removed

Sent from my XT912

OP
tygerchylde

tygerchylde

Reaction score
What's the difference between safestrap and bootstrap? As near as I can tell, they're pretty much the same.

lugodx

Reaction score
tygerchylde said:
What's the difference between safestrap and bootstrap? As near as I can tell, they're pretty much the same.

Safestrap runs on a safe system. Basically a second system that way your not messing with your regular system. I like it because if you wanted to switch back. All you do is deactivate and it always keeps a backup of both automatically. Make sure you do a manual nonsafe backup before you activate safestrap. Its just good to have even though it auto backs up when activated.

brad92

Silver Member
Reaction score

Bootstrap overwrites your primary system and safestrap installs to the /preinstall folder and keeps your primary system safe.

Its pretty much impossible to brick with Safestrap and all ICS roms are only supported with it.

Kexec CM9

OP
tygerchylde

tygerchylde

Reaction score
How would one go about removing bootstrap and installing safestrap?
I have bootstrap installed. Since ICS roms only support safestrap, am I screwed?

Also, can I use my backups from CWM with Safestrap?

Last edited:

Joshw0000

Reaction score
Just uninstall bootstrap, install safestrap, let it install the recovery, reboot, press menu when prompted at the screen....

In CWM, make a backup of your safe system (not required but a good idea), toggle safe system (switch to safe system or sd card rom), wipe data, flash rom. If you ever need to swap back to the stock rom just boot to CWM and disable safe system.

There's also a new recovery called BootMenu. It's like Safestrao but better. It requires you to delete the webtop partition (format it in recovery). It's ok because that partition was abandoned with the ICS update and webtop functionality is now integrated into the system. Similar to Safestrap, BootMenu is capable of dual booting two roms. With each reboot, you'll see a similar screen prompting which system you choose (system 1, system 2, or recovery). Switching roms is as easy as rebooting, whereas Safestrap performs a backup/restore function when toggling roms.

I suggest researching both recoveries and trying whichever you're comfortable with.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

OP
tygerchylde

tygerchylde

Reaction score
Okay, so I rather like safestrap. And Eclipse 1.2 was exactly what I was looking for. Thanks guys, you have helped me out greatly! This is why I come to this forum!