Okay so I went to 2.1

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by A.Brooks, Apr 1, 2010.

1. A.Brooks

A.Brooks Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I'm disappointed in it overall, it's just not that impressive, considering I already had these features on 2.01, I saw where it is possible to flash back to 2.01 but it seemed to be kind of squirrely at this point. Would it be best to just wait for someone to root 2.1, or should I flash back now before it's too late? I'm thinking Cyanogen mod will be the route I go.

2. RubberSoul

RubberSoul Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I'm happy with 2.1 but I'm in the same boat. .....hoping to root without reverting back.

3. Corinacakes

Corinacakes Super Moderator
    Theme Developer

Ratings:
    +3
    go back!! :icon_ lala:

4. The D

The D New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    how do i get 2.1

5. diverbelow

diverbelow Member

Ratings:
    +0
    To manually install Android 2.1 on the Verizon Droid, perform the following steps:

Download the official Android 2.1 firmware from: Android 2.1 (ESE81)
    Copy the file to your microSD card and name it update.zip (newb warning: not update.zip.zip)
    Power off your phone. Hold down the “X” button on the physical keyboard and power it back on to boot into recovery mode.
    When you see the “/!\” symbol, press volume up and the camera button to display the recovery options.
    Use the d-pad to navigate to “apply sdcard:update.zip” and select it.
    When you see “Install from sdcard complete”, select “reboot system now”.

6. diverbelow

diverbelow Member

Ratings:
    +0
    2.1 has already been rooted. Pete and BD done it within couple hours of getting 2.1.

7. RubberSoul

RubberSoul Member

Ratings:
    +0
    But since I am pretty slow when it comes to rooting etc, I have to wait for an update.zip, that pretty much does everyhting for you, like the one for 2.0.1

8. diverbelow

diverbelow Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Or you can wait for DroidMod Updater to root 2.1.

9. GodfatherIP

GodfatherIP Member

Ratings:
    +0
    They have not yet found an exploit to root stock 2.1 as far as I know so if you already have 2.1 from the OTA I don't think you can root without using sbf to go back to 2.0.1 and then rooting it. There is however a rooted version of 2.1 that you can use to update your phone without losing root, just check out Pete's thread to get it. It is the exact same as the new stock release except it includes root access. To anyone who has not yet updated: there is no reason to update with the official release when you can just as easily install Pete's rooted 2.1 and have the exact same thing plus root access.

As far as flashing back or waiting it depends on how comfortable you are with everything. Apparently the sbf method works but it has a chance of totally bricking your phone (mostly just if you cut power or unplug halfway through the process I think). They will hopefully find a new exploit soon to root 2.1 but who knows. I don't think there will be a too late to do the sbf method unless Verizon releases another OTA update that blocks that method of going back and you know how quick Verizon is with new releases lol. Good luck with whatever you decide.

10. nateccnn

nateccnn Active Member

Ratings:
    +25
    There is a reason to unroot and go with the stock 2.1. It just isn't a big enough reason to over ride all the reason to not do it.

Case in point. With rooted phone running various roms I have had trouble connecting to my wireless network. Using the exact same settings for wireless once I installed the OTA 2.1, I suddenly get connected to that same wireless network. Granted...I have a pretty weird firewall setup. Most people don't experience the issue I had with wireless...but it does exist and with the stock 2.1 that Motorola engineers wrote, it works with my wireless settings.

Look around on the forums at all the problems users have to deal with. They are all random but one users sees a problem most don't see. With the OEM ROM those problems go away. Granted...lots of newbies have problems getting settings right on their new droid. But it's usually a usuer issue, not a software issue.

That being said...anyone who understands technology beyond the 8th grade level can have a lot more fun with a rooted droid than they will ever have with a stock 2.1 droid. Just saying...there is a reason to go OTA 2.1...for some people. It is a much more stable platform for non techies.

Nate

11. adrynalyne

adrynalyne Premium Member
    Premium Member Developer

Ratings:
    +5
    Not truly rooted. Only if you install the rooted update.zip. If you installed the stock signed update.zip, you are not rooted, and cannot get root without using an sbf.

12. Se7enLC

Se7enLC Active Member

Ratings:
    +0
    It won't be "too late". It's unlikely that the SBF flashing will ever go away, so you can always go back using that method. That method will COMPLETELY wipe your phone, however.

Just to be clear, there is no "going back" apart from that SBF flashing method.

As for the other people saying "2.1 is rooted". NO. 2.1 has NOT been rooted. There are copies of 2.1 that are modified to include root access, but there is currently no way to obtain root on a phone that is running 2.1, unless you use the SBF flashing to go back to 2.0, then root it, then install a hacked copy of 2.1. The copies of 2.1 that include root can ONLY be installed on phones that are already rooted. The update.zip files are not signed, so the stock recovery console will reject them, just as it rejected everything else until the exploit was found in 2.0 (patched in 2.1)

This may change, but it's unlikely to be a top priority - anybody who wanted root got it when they were running 2.0 and kept it. Anybody who installed the OTA 2.1 missed the boat and has to jump through some tricky hoops to get root if they want it. Because it's POSSIBLE to root the phone, there's not much draw to look for easier ways.