Ok, So Why Not Rom Manager?

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by PARick, Sep 28, 2010.

1. PARick

PARick New Member

When discussing the installation of Roms, I notice no one promotes using Rom Manager for installing them. It looks like a very easy process. You can install a variety, and even chose to purchase some (I guess those must be premimum?) I am assuming that it is not thorough, or as easy as it appears. But, I was just curious why it was never recommended. Being new to rooting, I thought it may be a viable alternative if I wanted to change Roms. Thanks!
  2. *22899

*22899 Premium Member Premium Member

It's a great tool! But for the people who want to have the news ROM's right away there is a little bit of time usually before they hit rommanager.

I always suggest to people that after rooting they start of with out it so you learn the process of flashing and backing up and restoring on your own with out it. One problem with being to comfortable with with rommanager only is that its an app. The phone has to boot to use it. The first time people get stuck we see all the my droid is bricked threads.
  3. warrior21

warrior21 New Member

I agree with *22899. It may be easier to use ROM manager but as soon as something goes wrong (and it will eventually) you won't be comfortable with fixing the problem. I prefer to download the file, boot into recovery, wipe data/cache, and flash the ROM myself.
  4. B-Unit

B-Unit Member

Considering how easy the manual method is, I personally have never seen the appeal of ROM Manager.
  5. crackedvenom

crackedvenom New Member

rom manager is nice for new people but i mean, in recovery, all you have to do is click a couple things and youre flashing the rom. super easy :)
  6. GahhItsLee

GahhItsLee New Member

I have gotten stuck a few times but personally i just enjoy rom manager. It is important to be able to fix a problem if you get stuck but for simple stuff rom manager is just pretty darn nice
  7. Phreaker47

Phreaker47 Member

I started with SPRecovery and I have just stuck with it.
  8. crackedvenom

crackedvenom New Member

i started with SP, then installed rom manager and it installed Clockwork, which i love a lot more. no more renaming update.zip for every thing i want to flash. just throw it on there and reboot to recovery.
  9. TexasRules777

TexasRules777 New Member

I use both..SP for flashing roms and Rom Manager for installing themes and extra stuff. I can agree though..i've never had an issue with sp recovery for fresh installs.
  10. shmoo

shmoo New Member

I personally don't like RM. I've tried to use it a handful of different times and almost every time I'll get a boot loop and or I can't reboot into recovery manually. For me its more if a PITA to mess with RM than to just rename update.zip and then flash. To each his own tho I guess
  11. Darkseider

Darkseider New Member

I am an SPRecovery purist. I like the fact that it forces me into recovery and I have to do a nandroid, wipe data/cache, etc... this way if something goes wrong I can only blame myself and troubleshooting the issue, if there is one, is that much easier.
  12. hookbill

hookbill Premium Member Premium Member

If I'm going to root, SPRecovery is what I want to use. I'm sorry to say but I spend a lot of time in the Forum and I see a lot of problems with ROM manager.

Recently however either I haven't noticed or problems may be coming down. Either way, SPRecovery is what I prefer. I understand everything that is going on that way.
  13. Jmart922

Jmart922 New Member

Yes * 22899 is speaking the truth, for some of us who were rooting back when RM was just an idea we were force to take the longer route but it really helped people like myself learn the ropes and thanks to the community for its help and just having the guts to take a chance on pushing your phone to its limits by installing, pushing, shelling, using command prompts from PC to phone and dealing with bin this xbin that, RM is a great app, I use it, but learning some the basics to all of rootness glory especially when you are constantly updating can really help when you run into a hiccup, which you will at some point in time