Ok so Ive had my Droid for about 24 hours and my brain is hurting

cb3FSU

Reaction score
I found out I was getting a Droid when my sister went to order an Eris and just happened to walk into the buy a Droid get and Eris deal and gave me the Droid for Christmas.

I have been reading this forum for about 3 weeks, got a Seidio Case (which IMO even improves the look and feel of the phone) and have been App hunting based on what peopl are saying here.

Between just learning to use the phone in stock form and trying out apps and home screens and geting video to run and etc. I brain is hurting.

Couple things:

*Why are there apps showing that they are running when I use Advanced Task Killer when I did not have those apps open, and in some cases apps that Ive never used will be running. Any way to make this stop?

*If I have Home, Home++ and Panda all downloaded, will it slow the performance of my Droid? I also have the Handcent messenger that Ive been toggling between the regular messenger.

*It seems like I have quite a few apps that do the exact same thing. Multiple video and audio players, messaging programs, etc. Any consensus on the best versions of each?

*Im pretty disappointed with the camera. Its 5 megapixels with a flash. I would think it would be at least as capable as a cheap point and shoot digital camera. I have been trying the camera magic and pro zoom 5x apps but neither have really impressed me. I bought my sister a cheap digital the year before last for like $100 and it is so much better than this its not funny. I have a Nikon D70, Im not expecting it to do what that does, but I was anticipating that it would be good enough to use to take fun snapshots at bars and stuff, and its just not.

Other than the camera, I cant say enough about this thing. Its hoing to be a revolutionary device, IMO and I cant wait to see what they come up with next!

Dan.Droid

Reaction score
*Why are there apps showing that they are running when I use Advanced Task Killer when I did not have those apps open, and in some cases apps that Ive never used will be running. Any way to make this stop?

Advanced Task Killer only stops the apps temporarily. If the Droid decides it should be running in the background, it will start it back up. Don't worry, it's not a Windows-based phone, so you don't have to worry about programs not in use using your memory.

*If I have Home, Home++ and Panda all downloaded, will it slow the performance of my Droid? I also have the Handcent messenger that Ive been toggling between the regular messenger.

No, it won't. I would, however, recommend Home Switcher. It's a free app that makes it very easy to switch between the home programs. I would also suggest you pick one and run it for a while to see how you like it. Constantly switching between them may cause errors.

Also, you don't need to toggle between Handcent and the stock messenger. Once you have Handcent it, it can completely take over your texting needs. Just be sure to shut off the notification for the stock messenger.

*It seems like I have quite a few apps that do the exact same thing. Multiple video and audio players, messaging programs, etc. Any consensus on the best versions of each?

Like most things, much of it is bound to be personal preference. About the only app that I have seen pretty much everybody agree on is Handcent, though I might have missed one or five...

cb2000a

Reaction score
There is no real need for a task killer program for Android. As with most systems the simpler you keep it the better.

bbtkd

Reaction score
There is no real need for a task killer program for Android. As with most systems the simpler you keep it the better.

I agree. Android is Linux, so memory is freed up as needed. I shut down tasks by backing out of them when done - this seems to shut many down. If it doesn't then there is probably a reason they need to stay running.

1linuxfreak

Reaction score
I agree about the camera , it bites big time . I played with the settings and got it to take some decent pictures finally .
The LG clam phone I had with a 3.2mp camera and no flash took way better than this 5mp does . :motdroidhoriz:
Nice phone thought , Linux , I like .

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
It's a subjective matter. You really need to use them and see what suits you best.

*Im pretty disappointed with the camera. Its 5 megapixels with a flash. I would think it would be at least as capable as a cheap point and shoot digital camera.
I really don't get why people assume that more MP means better. MP is resolution. That's it. There's so much more to image quality than just max resolution. I agree that the Droid's camera is disappointing but it's not as if it was a secret. Every review I've read seems to mention it.

RW-1

Silver Member
Reaction score
Don't worry about your brain hurting either, it's a good hurt in this case! :)

prochobo

Reaction score
One purpose of the task killer is if you want to force close something. E.g. you hit back, but the program is still running (err actually hung at something) and you want to restart it.

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
One purpose of the task killer is if you want to force close something. E.g. you hit back, but the program is still running (err actually hung at something) and you want to restart it.
The Android OS can do this without a 3rd party app. Menu > settings > applications > manage applications

DarrellM5

Reaction score
I know that advanced task killer is supposed to be unnecessary, but I've experienced several occasions where my Droid started getting sluggish and killing unnecessary tasks seemed to help.