Ok, so I want to develop an app...

ForensicDroid

Reaction score
But I'm not a programmer, I've never coded anything before, and I have a very very very basic knowledge of HTML programing. And when I say "basic", I mean, I can put something together in Dreamweaver and then go into the code part and read it and kinda see where it makes the page look the way it does. Maybe even edit a line or two. I don't even think that HTML matters in Android development because I'm reading that its based on Java.

Okay, with that background, is there a step-by-step guide to learning how to code for Android? Is the Android Dev site the place I should go for that or is there another tutorial that might be helpful?

Thanks.

KZIWarrior

Silver Member
Reaction score
No offense but you're pretty screwed... You need to be fairly well versed in Java to make a good app (even a very basic app is going to require moderate java skills). You're best bet is to pick up some Java books and start with the basics. There are not really any 'coding for Android' books (well, no good ones worth the money)... Get a basic understanding of Java and then pick-up a book on the Android OS (there are a few) and you'll be able to put it together... or take a class (there was one link from a few days ago offering a free online course, but again, you need to already know Java)... Good luck...

R1Lover

Reaction score
This is like saying, I want to do heart surgery on my wife, but I'm not a doctor, is there a book I can read first?

lmao

zudien

Reaction score
This is like saying, I want to do heart surgery on my wife, but I'm not a doctor, is there a book I can read first?

lmao

Except instead of doing surgery you are writing code and instead of your wife's life on the line you have a couple days worth of wasted time.

Seriously it's not that difficult. Take a look to go over Java. Then take a look at the sample codes in the Android SDK and try to fill in the blanks and make some friends with java experience/android experience.

zero7starz

Reaction score
OP
ForensicDroid

ForensicDroid

Reaction score
Damn...well, I am a doctor, but I guess I should have gone to programming school instead. :) Oh well...this may be too involved to learn from scratch for someone with not enough time.
How about going at it from another end. What about a company that develops apps for others for a fee?

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
Last edited:

christim

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Damn...well, I am a doctor, but I guess I should have gone to programming school instead. :) Oh well...this may be too involved to learn from scratch for someone with not enough time.
How about going at it from another end. What about a company that develops apps for others for a fee?

I was going to suggest this. It sounds like you've got an idea for an app. It may be far less frustrating to team up with a college student who has already taken Java or find someone out there to partner with. There are some developers that post here, see if one is interested.

OP
ForensicDroid

ForensicDroid

Reaction score

I was going to suggest this. It sounds like you've got an idea for an app. It may be far less frustrating to team up with a college student who has already taken Java or find someone out there to partner with. There are some developers that post here, see if one is interested.

Yeah, if I can't figure out how to do it myself, I might have to do that. But I just don't want them to steal my idea. Not that its so amazing, but still.

Thanks CK, I'll have to look into that. I might run into some time issues, but I'll see if I can work it.

Last edited:

KZIWarrior

Silver Member
Reaction score

^+ There was a guy that joined last night that was wanting ideas. Seen a few others saying they'd be willing to develop apps for others (string(s) attached I'm sure) but it's def a route to consider.

Reaction score
Just to toss in some extra information..

I'm graduating with a degree in MIS from Iowa State in May, I've taken 2 Java courses, and this is definitely not just something you can spend a weekend doing and be fine. To do something worthwhile will take commitment, and while difficulty may be relative, I would never categorize it as "not difficult", as some seem to suggest.

I, too, have a few application ideas and would love to be able to do everything on my own, and regardless of my experience with Java, it is proving to be rather frustrating.

If you plan on having someone help you, don't ask if they've taken any Java courses, because even if they answer yes, this may not be useful. For the record, I got a B and an A- in the Java classes I took. The right question to ask someone is if they have developed an application for Java before, or specifically for Android OS.

I'm still dedicating my time to learning android development as it can be a resume booster, if I start making any progress and feel comfortable developing, I'll send you a prospective PM.

Reaction score
Btw, to get started with attempting this on your own and following online tutorials follow these steps

1) Download Eclipse (open source software to program in) -
Eclipse downloads - mirror selection

2) Download the Android SDK - Android SDK | Android Developers

3) Install Android SDK - Installing the Android SDK | Android Developers

4) If you get the android plugin and everything set for eclipse, then you're ready to make an android application, and you can find tutorials here
Hello, World | Android Developers

If you don't get any of this, google the issue you're having. If you can't figure out how to install the android plugin into eclipse, google a how-to. If after awhile you still can't figure it out, take a breather, come back, if you get frustrated again within 5 min, you'll most likely want to look in to finding a business partner, this is the "easy" part.

Last edited:

Silver Member
Reaction score
i'm in on this new to the boat approach. i've been immersed in functional/logical programming for so long, that concepts and approach to java OOP seems to foreign to me. of all the classes that I've took, i've retained nothing.

i've been on the hunt for decent code samples as i have big plans for applications that I want to promote.

Reaction score
i'm in on this new to the boat approach. i've been immersed in functional/logical programming for so long, that concepts and approach to java OOP seems to foreign to me. of all the classes that I've took, i've retained nothing.

i've been on the hunt for decent code samples as i have big plans for applications that I want to promote.

If you find any good examples, could you please share them with us? I would really appreciate it :)

Silver Member
Reaction score
If you find any good examples, could you please share them with us? I would really appreciate it :)

finally got around the proxy and am finally getting my environment setup.

Actually forensicdad there is a free online course being offered for Android development.

I think it's great you are taking the initiative to at least try and learn. good job : )

Good luck and let me know if you registered and decided to do it.

Here is the link:

Live Online Course: Developing Android Applications with Java - Training

looks like they're in the middle of the session. hopefully it starts over again.