OK, so I really think i meesed up

OP
ForestGump

ForestGump

Reaction score
I still need help on one more thing. What does this mean?
ClockworkMod Recovery v1.8.0.6
Checking MD5 sums...
Restoring boot image...
Restoring system...
Restoring data...
Restoring cache...
sd-ext.img not found. Skipping restore of /sd-ex
t.

Restore complete!

Do I need this? What is sd-ext.img? I think thats why I can't bring it back to v2.0.1 And I cant bring up the updates for my apps.

Is there any way to get this back onto my phone?

youngbey

Reaction score
if all fails you will have to restore phone to factory settings(how it was once when it is new). there's a video on youtube by droid review that goes over it. I had to do it once when my phone was stuck on M logo and i couldn't boot past it.

firedroid508

Reaction score
I am having the same problems and it has something to do with the SD card.

A few days back I was cleaning out my sdcard as it was filling up. I thought that I only got rid of things that I KNEW weren't needed anymore but I must've done something.

What happens is for some reason I will get a random softboot that is ALWAYS preceded by the phone vibrating like I have an incoming msg/call (not sure why this happens at all). It then softboots 3 times, each time getting to the unlock screen, then back to the droid logo and redeye.

After the 3rd reboot it loads BUT my sdcard isn't available. Using astro, camera or anything else that requires the card asks that I insert one.

I'm using the rom manager, clockwork recovery, cyanogen 5057 (everything is the most up to date versions).

The only thing that temporarily fixes the issue is to nandroid to a backup, which gives the 'no sd-ext.img found' error, but loads the phone. However after some time ... a few minutes to a few days I'll get the dreaded vibrate to 3 softboots.

I'm going to head out today and see if using a new sdcard will fix it. After that though I'm at a loss.

firedroid508

Reaction score
Just a further note to my previous post I did a fresh install of cyanogen 2 days ago after wrestling with this issue for a few days. I wiped everything x3 (just to be extra sure) fresh install, then DLed all apps/widgets from the market and not from backups so as not to introduce anything contaminated/bugged from the previous state of the phone.

The problem re-emerged this morning.

And before someone asks using the 'fix permissions' part of clockwork actually induces this issue after reinstalling...

It has to be something with the sdcard

Sean_Bernstein

Reaction score
So I posted a couple days ago about my phone being suck in the "M" logo.

I got it to run on UD v9.0 by, pretty much luck, I really don't understand how I got to do it. I think messed up by reading other people mistakes and doing them in order to try and to bring me to a place to start. But I think I really ****ed up...

I went back to SPRecovery and tried to load my last save back-up and when I do it reads:

ClockworkMod Recovery v1.8.0.6
Checking MD5 sums...
Restoring boot image...
Restoring system...
Restoring data...
Restoring cache...
sd-ext.img not found. Skipping restore of /sd-ex
t.
Restore complete!

Then it just goes back to looping the "M" logo once again. Then I go to restore my last saved backup and it goes back to my UD v9.0 and all seems well. but I notice my keyboard lights aren't working and it takes a well skilled hand to get the phone to even charge, or I think it is. Every time it "charges" it does the whole battery little animation on top, but when I unplug it, it always reads 40%.

I have tried COUNTLESS times to unroot it and bring it back to v2.0.1, the .sbf file, the virginoem-backup way, and I cannot get it to do anything(I really mean anything). I mean I don't think I am an idiot (besides this phone fiasco) but I really could use some really good playing around with. I have insurance on my phone so if anything happens to it, I will just report is lost and try again, lol.

But I am really down to try anything!!! I am free, anytime since I am on springbreak and on vacation from work. IF you want my YIM to chat in real time, PM me and I will give it to you. Don't be creepy:icon_ poke: and I wont be as well:bling:

Thanks.

Alright here is a simple fix that I think might be able to help. But i think it would be nice if you did a full mem wipe just to be sure.

Open up into clockwork or SPRecovery or whatever.

Find a way to mount your SD card to your comp, there should be an option to mount it somewhere among the options.

Find an update.zip file of any ROM out there but for your case, you might wanna stick with the rom that you got. You should find it on the internet with your computer and once you download it to your comp, place it in the ROOT of your sd card.

(Placing something in the root is simply dragging and dropping into the SD card without being in any folders or any sub catagories.)

Since your SD card should be mounted and you have the newest version (or any version) of a ROM downloaded, place it in the root of your card from your comp and then unmount your sd.

Now that file should be in your phone and you should now go back to the first page of your recovery program (CW or SP).

Find something that says "Install update from SD"

and then you should select "manually find update"

(Im doing this from memory so I dont know if my lingo is exact to whats in the program.... you should just get the idea.)

Alrighty then, find that update that you got from your computer by scrolling down and then selecting it.

Now my memory gets kinda fuzzy after this part, but I think if you select it, it will start doing its thang, if not, continue going along with my thought process.

Im no genius at this stuff but I have had my moments of triumph of getting my phone just where I want it to be and I had a similar problem to what you have.

Lemme know if it works

firedroid508

Reaction score
I just dug around in clockwork recovery and tried the mount sd-ext and format sd-ext functions but got no such file or directory and errors mounting or formatting ...

Somehow we both lost the sd-ext.img file/whatever it is.

I'm goign to try the manual install of the .zip that was suggested above and see if that does anything.

Thanks for any and all help

Sean_Bernstein

Reaction score
hmm thats interesting. Well yeah when all else fails.... leave that droid plugged into your comp if you can and find some way to access its root. If you get there, youll be good.

firedroid508

Reaction score
ahhhh back to the boot loops to load but no sdcard recognized...going to try a flash to sprecovery

firedroid508

Reaction score
this is taking a while as clockwork kept erroring out when I'd try to flash back to SPR. Then I was caught in bootloops and left with a phone but unrecognized sdcard, so I can't flash the image if the phone can't see it, so I'm nandroiding to an older state of the phone from a few days ago, which usually lets it boot up for a bit with the sdcard still readable.

Hopefuly this solves things.

Is there some command that will force the system to rebuild an sd-ext.img?

edit:
Ok this has made a huge mess, I'm going to nandroid WAY back to before I ever had any issues before touching clockwork or cyanogen. Head out and buying a bigger sdcard then try everything from scratch...

Last edited:
OP
ForestGump

ForestGump

Reaction score
I found a way back to factory setting and I (for some reason) went and updated to the OTA 2.1 :icon_evil: which BLOWS!!! and I have been trying ways to be able to go back to v2.0.1 and no such luck. All because of the FILE.

Can someone find it and post it on her so I can just put it back onto my phone???

firedroid508

Reaction score
I've formatted the card, wiped the system back to stock using the sbf file and moto's rsd app, but even that fails to write the file ... the system goes back to stock 2.0.1 but the sd-ext.img file is still missing and causes the phone to randomly reboot

So frustrating

jstafford1

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Twitter
jstaff79
I've formatted the card, wiped the system back to stock using the sbf file and moto's rsd app, but even that fails to write the file ... the system goes back to stock 2.0.1 but the sd-ext.img file is still missing and causes the phone to randomly reboot

So frustrating

I just did a search with astro for sd-ext.img and found nothing. My card reads fine.

jstafford1

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Twitter
jstaff79
I found a way back to factory setting and I (for some reason) went and updated to the OTA 2.1 :icon_evil: which BLOWS!!! and I have been trying ways to be able to go back to v2.0.1 and no such luck. All because of the FILE.

Can someone find it and post it on her so I can just put it back onto my phone???

I hate to tell ya but the only way to go back to 2.0.1 is the sbf and rsd lite.

firedroid508

Reaction score
That's the route I'm retrying now. formatted my sd card and doing the rsd/sbf now.

It just gave me a fail error though...error sending RAM for download