OK,so FROYO totally sucks....

Darkseider

Reaction score
FROYO (2.2) SUCKS!
Don't load this crap on your phone, it’s crippleware, it doesn't allow pdanet to run, it prevents you from creating a wifi hotspot, would not let me get on to many wifi sites, does not allow real skype to work, it loads a worthless crippleware version of skype that will not let you make internet calls, it ruins the battery life, and they load a bunch of crappy software and does not allow you to delete it. Things that 3rd party apps allowed you to do Froyo no blocks you from doing those things, Froyo Sucks! And they won't let you revert back to 2.1 once you do it, you’re stuck. Someone needs to start a class action lawsuit. I don’t want to risk rooting until my contract is up. There are no files of 2.1 around to load back on, no known way yet to downgrade back to 2.1. Verizon has a long history of crippling their phones, this is the most blatant crippling yet. I paid big buck for 2.1 features, now that they have my money they took those features back without my permission, they robbed me without warning, lying to me saying it was an upgrade, it is mainly a crippling to force you pay them to do things I was able to do for free on the phone that I paid them for. Posting in a couple places just to warn as many people as I can before they ruin their phone. I can’t risk rooting while under contract. I’ll try rooting when my contract is up, then if I brick it I can go get an iphone or something. (iphone mainly for the Universal Search, and the Universal cut/copy/paste, the two most important things that a PDA can have, the Palm OS had it but Palm OS is gone now, replaced by Palm WebOS which does not have it, iphone finally got Universal search and copy/paste, it’s the only PDA phone now that does have it. If I do switch, I’ll come back to Android when they finaly get a true universal search and a true universal cut copy past and desktop version to sync with.)

Wow what? Really? Do yourself a favor and get a Palm Tungsten TX and a cheapo GSM candybar phone. I think that will make you REALLY happy. :icon_eek:

OldPalmUser

Reaction score
Wow what? Really? Do yourself a favor and get a Palm Tungsten TX and a cheapo GSM candybar phone. I think that will make you REALLY happy. :icon_eek:

I love my droid for all the coold stuff it does (before 2.2), it's never been very good as a PDA/PIM though.

PIM - Personal Information Manager, what "smartphones" where soposed to be, what they used to be, what Android needs to become.

I CANNOT STRESS ENOUGH, the 3 most important features of any PIM device is:

1. UNIVERSAL SEARCH
Search of the entire phone (not the internet), search through all your personal data, thru the contacts, notes, calendar, spreadsheets, memos, to-do lists, word processing files, SMS/MMS, thru every native apps, thru every 3rd party app data, anything and everything on your phone (not the internet) quickly and completely the way Palm OS did. Fast information retrieval of your personal data and databases is the most important and single most useful thing on this planet as far as PIM’s are concerned. Not links to twitter, not cool little icon creation tools, not fun cutesy little play things, but real world useful things.

2. UNIVERSAL CUT/COPY & PASTE
The ability to copy an address or sentence out of a text message or email, (not the entire message, only the portion you need) and paste it into a contact, or paste it into a memo or task field, or it into Google maps. Or Copy part of a to-do list item and paste it into a spreadsheet, or copy a value out of a spreadsheet cell and paste it into an email etc. Copy any portion of anything from anywhere and paste it to any other app where ever you want, for any reason.

3. DESKTOP APPLICATION to sync with.
A desktop application to sync with, to back up all your PIM information (contacts, calendar, to-do lists, memos, wordprocessing files, spreadsheet files etc, to your PC and vice/versa (without being forced to use Outlook). Not syncing to “the cloud”, I don’t want all my personal info spread out all over the internet for who knows who to snoop through. I want my personal info on my phone and my desktop PC only. A Desktop application to be able to do the bulk of your data entry from your PC then syncing it to your phone instead of having to type out and tons of personal data, such as useful formulas, extensive notes about people, long letters or ebooks you want to cut and paste into your desktop app so you can sync it to your phone so you can read it on the road at your leasure without trying to type all that data into your little touch screen pad. To be able to look up information and data stored on my phone without not having to wait on a slow connection as it stores and retrieves from the cloud. And to be able to look up the same information on my desktop app when I can’t find my phone. To backup my data or retrieve it without being dependant an internet connection. When I lose my old phone, I want to be able to sync the new phone to my Desktop application had have all my personal info and data files loaded on to my new phone putting me right back in business without skipping a beat.

Primary PIM Apps to be fully intergreated with each other on the phone and on the Desktop are:
* Calendar/Scheduler/with very flexible alarms (i.e. repeat every third Thursday etc.). Should have Day/Week/Month/Year views.
* Contacts/Addresses/People that will show the long names on the screen when you select it.
* To Do List (KISS applies here, just need to easily slide line items up and down on the priority list and/or give it a changeable priority level, and to be able to attach longer notes if need be)
* Memo/Notes/Flash Cards to store anything and everything you think to write down to take note down, any thought, idea, note, comment, list of items, what someone said – Any and all inputs instantly retrievable by the “Universal Search”.
* Media/Pictures/Video/Music sync between desktop and device.
* Third party attachment handler (to automatically sync spreadsheet files for instance).

Store, Retrieve, and Manage/Manipulate Personal Information, that’s what Personal Information Managers (PIMs) are for. Not for doing animated gifs or other cutesy time wasters.

This is something the Twit(ers) writing software today don’t understand, not everyone has the luxury of laying around drinking soda pop and twittering each other all day, most of us need to actually get some work done in the real world. To manage and access personal information as well as internet info.

I would have switched from Palm OS to iPhone a couple years ago but the iPhone had no universal search or universal copy/paste at the time which made the iPhone worthless game machine to me. So I stayed with Palm. Now that Palm OS is being replaced with WebOS, I see now that the “new blood” writing the new Palm WebOS software left out the 3 most important things, the very things that made Palm great to begin with. So I bought a Droid Incredible, it falls flat on it’s face as a PIM, now I am back to carrying two devices a Palm OS for an actual working PIM, and a Droid for all the other “cool” stuff. Don’t get me wrong, I love the Droid but it would be nice to get them back into one device again. The industry sometimes goes backwards instead of forwards. Now I see that Apple finally caught up to Palm by including a universal search and copy/paste into the iPhone finally, Android needs to catch up to Palm OS also, in a hurry, otherwise I may have to sidestep to an iphone when my one year contract is up.

PalmOS had a much more precise touch screen, all you had to do to select text was touch your fingernail, pen, or stylist to the letter you wanted to start with and drag to the end point to highlight the text you want, and then hit Menu/Copy. The new Johnny-come-lately touch screen phones do not have a precise way to select text directly, though the iPhone has come up with a good workaround for this, it’s not quite as fast and easy as the PalmOS but just as accurate at selecting only what you want, and it is universal just like the Palm.

If and when iambic ports Agendus to the Android OS it will be a great day for Android users, but the MOST IMPORTANT thing is we still need universal search & copy/paste across all 3-party applications. When I was a palm user I didn’t see the need for Agendus (a very robust PIM) because it seemed redundant on the Palm, but I could see the need for it on other platforms such as Windows devices, iPhone, BlackBerry etc. Now that I am a Droid user I see the need for Agendus for the Android. Agendus is starting to sound like a great Idea, a robust PIM application that can be ported to any new phone platform that comes out, that way you learn one app and keep it with you across platforms as the phone market keeps changing.

Tags: Droid 2 x incredible symbian blackberry Samsung dada linux binary wireless windows mobile maemo bsd nextstep smartphone nokia neo freerunner openmoko mobile operating system meego communicator storm curve google goosync dejaoffice gdocs market netsync remember productivity what is the best has anyone ever found available quickoffice transfer upload download track notepad memeopad memo note time manager assistant documentstogo exchange documents notebook officesuite androffice office success Verizon t-mobile sprint at&t lg Kyocera Mitsubishi Motorola qualcomm Samsung sanyo sony ericsson uniden htc audovox cell phone manufacturer developers school sdk jdk eclipse java code support projects development programming api cellular linux kernel gnu open handset alliance npd group ios hardware software telecom standards apache license appointments object oriented framework dalvik virtual machine jit compilation c opencore media framework sqlite database open gl graphics api webkit layout engine sgl ssl bionic libc xml c++ native protocalls consortium texas instruments Broadcom corporation intel marvell technology nvidia aualcomm nextell paketvideo arm holdings atheros asustek garmin Softbank Toshiba Vodafone apache inventor kit shazam doodle jump weatherbug myspace facebook twitter skia sgl gcc framebuffer win32 chrome microsd sd rooting cyanogenmod canalys comscore gartner rim guardian gnu se me proxy ad hoc Bluetooth sun Microsystems oracle ad tide debug mode bridge emulator office suite

OldPalmUser

Reaction score
Ok, the new updates have some really nice features, even though it eliminates others. The finger pinch to zoom I have to admit is really nice.

enlightened

Super Moderator
Reaction score
LOL- oh how tunes change after a little time getting used to something new. :)