ok photoshop experts... i need some advice...

Discussion in 'Android Themes' started by jntdroid, Jul 23, 2010.

1. jntdroid

jntdroid Super Moderator
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +317
    I'm trying to take a square image and fade each side of the square to full transparency, with the fade starting about 15% in and working it's way out... so basically it would end up as a square image, but instead of hard lines, it would be nice fades to nothing.

I've tried the "layer mask" method, but can only get one side faded, and it keeps adding the slightest bit of transparency to the main image when I apply that anyway...

I've googled this too, and can't find a solution. I'm sure this is probably pretty novice for a lot of you, but I can't seem to get it...

TIA!

2. djh074

djh074 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    u should be able to use the "gradiant tool". might have to play with it a bit, but i know it will work for u. havent played with Photoshop for a while, but it is possible to do.

3. jntdroid

jntdroid Super Moderator
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +317
    Yeah that's where we're at right now. We can get one side faded, but that leaves the other 3 sides, obviously. Plus, when we apply it to the one side, the entire image gets just a hint of transparency to it that we don't want.

4. djh074

djh074 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    did u try differnt gradiants? there is a circular one that if u drag from center out it should fade from center to edges. from there u can adjust the sliders for more or less pic/transparency.

hey what part of Texas u from? im moving to DFW area in 3 weeks.

just a quick example pic. is this sort of what your looking for?

#4 djh074, Jul 23, 2010
    Last edited: Jul 23, 2010
  5. notamamasboy

notamamasboy Member

Ratings:
    +0
    would you like the effect to be radially? or would you like a smaller square edge of transparency... by no means does this make me an expert...just trying to help as I have played with photoshop a bit

6. roberj13

roberj13 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    You can maybe select the box, then feather the selection (by quite a bit) and then inverse the selection and delete. Then take down the opacity for the whole layer about 20% or so (or not). That's what I would try first, then tweak it, there will be some tweaking to get it right tho.

I suck at photoshop compared to alot of people tho.

7. jntdroid

jntdroid Super Moderator
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +317
    ok... i think we found a way to do it, without much tweaking (i suck at it too)

my wife is pretty handy with photoshop, but she found this, and it fulfills what i'm trying to accomplish pretty darn nice:

Create a Soft Fade Vignette Effect in Photoshop (5 and Up)

the funny thing is, when i apply step #5, photoshop is automatically applying a fade to it (haven't figured out why yet), and i don't have to do any of the following steps... but they would have the same affect

@notamamasboy - it ends up looking kind of like what djh posted, only still more of a square fade, instead of a circle fade

@roberj - your alternate dark theme looks really nice... going to have to try that tonight... all of this is simply so i can throw some images on the status_bar_background.png that's already transparent in a lot of themes, and have the images i want to put on it fade into the already transparent background (how's that for a run-on sentence...)

8. fichdak

fichdak Member

Ratings:
    +0
    [​IMG]
    like that?

if so, what i did was:

-use the marquee to select the part that you dont want to fade
    -make a layer mask
    the image should have cropped when you did that.
    make sure you have the mask selected and go to filter > blur > gaussian blur and mess around with that until it looks good.

9. jntdroid

jntdroid Super Moderator
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +317
    exactly! that's what that about.com article said to do as well...

the funny thing is, when i apply the layer mask, it's automatically making it fade - not sure why yet

edit: well your attached image disappeared, but when i saw it that's exactly what i was going for

10. notamamasboy

notamamasboy Member

Ratings:
    +0
    yea my advice was going to be exactly what that website tells you... gaussian blurs are best friends

11. fichdak

fichdak Member

Ratings:
    +0
    when you select something with the marquee, in the top bar thing it says feather: and you select a size in pixels. is yours 0px or something else?

and if you hit the refine edge button at the top when somethings selected with the marquee, is there any feathering or anything in the "adjust edge" section?

12. jntdroid

jntdroid Super Moderator
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +317
    i set my feather to 40 pixels

not seeing a "refine edge" button or anything about the edges besides the feather pixel size - i'm running an OLD version - 6.0.1 - if that makes any difference...