1. You want that $100.00 in your pocket or an Amazon Fire TV don't you? Well here's the deal. With our new updated look we are in desperate need of an updated logo. The 'old' one has certainly served us well, but it's time. Find all the details here: bit.ly/1q0k6Wa
  2. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

Ok now im upset

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by MDriod, May 14, 2010.

1. MDriod

MDriod New Member

I know do a search there are many threads here but i have been trying to do this since last night and i have had no luck and am afraid now of messing something up if i don't get help.I WANT TO ROOT MY DRIOD and i cant do it i download everything SPrecovery ,RSDlite,phone into boot mode.I have watched god know how many videos and read so much stuff and i cant do it PLEASE help guys i leave today on a flight to AZ and would love to have my driod rooted before i leave.

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/hacking-faqs/39254-sbf-root-unroot.html

Guide to Rooting Android 2.1 on a Motorola Droid | Droid Life: A Motorola Droid Blog

those are the two way i have been trying i get the phone hooked up ,turn it off,hold up on the d pad and power , bootloader is on and ok RSD find the file phone is recognized and then i hit start everything seems to go fine but then where the driod unhooks the hooks it self back up is where im having the problem.RSD says something like excitable numbers and screen on driod is suppose to change from what i understand and it doesn't then after 5 min RSD fails.(YES i have practically Sh*t my pants every time thinking i have done something wrong) but phone is still ok.Ive done a hard reset and tried again and still cant get it so if someone can walk me through it and also give me a good ROM to throw on there that would be great (If i cant ever get my driod to root)
  2. Erron

Erron Developer Developer

Seriously...the easy way to root your phone is go download ROM MANAGER fromt he market. Then just tell it to flash to sprecovery or clockwork recovery. Then you are rooted. Very simple.
  3. MDriod

MDriod New Member

ok ill try that are there steps i should follow or after i download i am free and clear to install roms? Sorry for being such a pain.
  4. Erron

Just those steps will get you rooted. Then you can use rom manager to load the roms. Or if you get rom manager premium and download a whole crapton of roms and themes.
  5. MDriod

MDriod New Member

I seen there were to different ones right now, which would you recommend?
  6. jntdroid

jntdroid Super Moderator Premium Member

Erron - you don't have to already have root access in order to use that in ROM Manager? And don't you also have to install a rooted ROM at that point as well in order to truly get root?
  7. nphil

nphil New Member

I don't think ROM Manager roots for you. You can't overwrite the recovery partition without root, and the OP is on 2.1.

I have a hard time understanding your situation, did you manage to flash back to the rooted 2.1 sbf? Hold down x and power up your phone and see if SPrecovery pops up. The guide at droid-life is pretty simple to follow.

If you are rooted, just download ROM manager and you can install ROMs.
  8. Erron

One is premium which I would recomend. You download the premium as well as the regular. it will make custom roms easy
  9. Erron

Oh sorry, didnt realize he was on 2.1. Yea hes got a long process ahead of him.

Just ignore all of my posts.
  10. MDriod

MDriod New Member

It never rooted RSD gets stuck and driod does not reboot once i am in RSD i click start and its starts to run , then there is a part where the driod disconnects it self and reconnects it self to the computer from what i have under stood either the bootscreen is suppose to say something or phone is suppose to REboot
  11. jntdroid

Mdriod: RSD will a lot of times say its failed when it hasn't. If RSD did everything, then at the very end said failed, then you likely have sprecovery. Do what nphil said to see if sprecovery pops up - if you see an orange menu with an android in the background, then you have sprecovery installed. If you just see a triangle with a "!" in the middle, you didn't get sprecovery installed.

If sprecovery IS installed, find a good ROM, rename it to update.zip, put it on your sdcard (not in any directory), boot into sprecovery, select "install", select "allow install of update.zip", then select "install update.zip from sdcard" (the wording on those could be a little off - going off of memory.

EDIT: just saw your most recent post - when it hangs, what does your phone say?
  12. MDriod

MDriod New Member

I also read that too i will attempt to do it again and see if it works. But it does not matter if the Bootloader screen never changes? or driod never reboots it self?

Phone it self stays on Bootloader does not do anything at all when it reconnects to computer.
  13. jntdroid

next time it hangs, if it looks like RSD has done anything at all before it hangs, try hitting "show device" in RSD
  14. MDriod

MDriod New Member

Trying this again as we speak hang tight

EDIT: No luck same thing again this is where RSD hangs it says Phone(0000) waiting for re enumeration then phone is still on boot loader and does not do anything

EDIT 2: Then after fails RSD says failed flashing process phone (0000) phone did not re enumerate after ram down loader was sent
    Last edited: May 14, 2010
  15. jntdroid

16. MDriod

MDriod New Member

I do have a ton of usb ports but last night i tried it on a different one let me try another
  17. MDriod

MDriod New Member

WOW i used the usb port my printer was on unplugged everything else and BOOM first shot !!

EDIT:Feel really dumb but i appreciate all the help THANK YOU very much
  18. jntdroid

don't feel dumb at all, i've never seen that before so i learned something new, too... i always forget that some usb ports are different than others on a computer... don't know why they're not all 2.0

glad it's fixed - those instructions should walk you through the rest of it pretty easily, but drop a note if you need more help
  19. MDriod

MDriod New Member

Cool thank you again actually one more question whats a good ROM out there
  20. jntdroid

depends on what you're going for - want a lot of cool aesthetics or just some aesthetics with some good function? you'll soon learn that whatever you pick to use today, you'll change it tomorrow, and then want to change again... and again :)

If you get ROM Manager (pay for the premium), it's pretty easy to switch between different ROMs. Make sure to backup ("nandroid" backup) when you do change (it'll prompt you), and wipe (if you're doing a whole new ROM, as opposed to an update). That way if you screw something up, you can boot into recovery and restore the nandroid backup and your phone will be exactly how it was when you did the backup. (edit: this has saved my rear numerous times)

If you go under the main "Forum" tab, under "Droid Hacking" there is a Custom ROM section for each one and you can see screenshots and features and all of that, as well as instructions.

The other thing to keep in mind is that it seems different ROMs run different on everybody's phones. For example, Cyanogen Mod is one of (if not) the most popular out there, but it just flat out didn't run well on my phone - but I'm nitpicky about snappiness. But as soon as I say that, 10 people will come on here saying it's the best for them, so maybe I didn't tweak something right. Bugless Beast 1.0 is a big one right now, I like it a lot. Team Chaos has cool themes with their ROMs... you really gotta just check 'em out yourself to see what you like the best.
    Last edited: May 14, 2010