Ok newbie here. Should I hop on WiFi when available to save on my data plan?

RAZRmax

Reaction score
Coming from the Linux/desktop world, so please excuse me :). I am on Verizon and have a 4GB data plan. When I am out and about, if WiFi is available should I hop on it or keep WiFi off and stay on the Verizon system?

I want to make sure I don't go over my 4GB package and if I understand WiFi correctly, connecting using it doesn't consume my normal Verizon data bandwidth, but I'm also concerned about risks involved with going on a WiFi system since there isn't any security.

LoudRam

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Z Flip 3
Yes, using wifi will not count against your data limit but as you pointed out there is a security risk using unsecured wifi. I don't know if there is an app that can help you with wifi security. Maybe someone else knows.

Sent from my HTC Rezound using Droid Forums

JeffDenver

Reaction score
Coming from the Linux/desktop world, so please excuse me :). I am on Verizon and have a 4GB data plan. When I am out and about, if WiFi is available should I hop on it or keep WiFi off and stay on the Verizon system?

I want to make sure I don't go over my 4GB package and if I understand WiFi correctly, connecting using it doesn't consume my normal Verizon data bandwidth, but I'm also concerned about risks involved with going on a WiFi system since there isn't any security.

I would just as a matter of course. But I use data heavily on my phone and rarely go over 1.5 gigs a month. 4 gigs is more than you think, and is basically the same as unlimited for most people. I know that people who use over 4 gigs a month exist, but I have never actually met any in real life.

I use wifi when available just because it is still faster most of the time. 4G has really good throughput, but ping times are still way better on wifi. So stuff comes up faster.

iamjoe

Reaction score
that all depends if you have a company phone or not. Bandwidth, shamwidth. As long as I aint paying the bill. I'd be on wifi if it was on my nickel :)

Droid-Xer

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
If you decide to root, you can use WiFi Protector on open networks. YouTube, Netflix, Google Music (streaming only) and similar apps eat a lot of data.

dolpns13

Reaction score
JeffDenver said:
I would just as a matter of course. But I use data heavily on my phone and rarely go over 1.5 gigs a month. 4 gigs is more than you think, and is basically the same as unlimited for most people. I know that people who use over 4 gigs a month exist, but I have never actually met any in real life.

I use wifi when available just because it is still faster most of the time. 4G has really good throughput, but ping times are still way better on wifi. So stuff comes up faster.

It does take alot to go over 2 gigs.. I use my phone alot as well, all day long. I have unlimited data so in not worried about it but I was shocked to see I only use 1.2 gigs/ month.. even so, I always try to use Wi-Fi whenever possible for the fear of getting throttled

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
RAZRmax said:

You can also place the data usage widget on your home page which will give you a meter showing how much data you have used in your monthly allowance. I do have two of my sons on 4g limited and I have them pay attention to the data widget and stay on Wi-Fi when home. They have never gone over 2 gb yet but it only takes discovering that game or that app that will all of a sudden put them over unaware.

Sent from my DROID RAZR Maxx using Droid Forums

Caesars

Reaction score
If you're not worried about security risks I would recommend using wifi, especially if you're in the same building most of your time. Being connected to wifi (not searching) is easier on your battery, this will also help you stay under 4gb. Personal
Y I use 2gb a month just using a minimal amount of pandora, it's very easy to burn it up when streaming music.