OK, my battery lasts 4 times longer now. No joke!

OP
S

s54

Reaction score
I need to straighten out a couple things that keep confusing the hell out of people:

(1) When I first installed this app a couple weeks ago, it was called "ADVANCED TASK KILLER". It was made by "Apollo". This is NOT a maybe, it's a FACT. Then, when I went into the application and tried hitting the update button, it crapped out, telling me that there is no such app in the Market. That's when it all made sense. Apollo changed the name from "ADVANCED TASK KILLER" to "APOLLO TASK KILLER". I hope this clears up the confusion. The reason why they changed was probably because there was already another app named "advanced task killer". Yes, at one point, there were TWO apps named "ADVANCED TASK KILLER". One was made by Apollo and the other by someone else. Got it? - good!

(2) I suspect that people who don't notice any improvement in battery life whatsoever are not utilizing the app to its fullest potential. Here is a rough draft of what I do after installing it:

First, open up as many apps as you can. Then, click and hold the name of the ones that you want "IGNORED". In other words, the task(s) you choose to ignore will NOT be killed by the ADVANCED TASK KILLER app.

Next, I go to "SETTINGS" and select the following options:

(a) auto startup - checked!
(b) notification bar icon - NOT checked!
(c) enable auto-kill - checked! This is the whole point of this app!
(d) auto-kill delay - set to 1 minute!
(e) auto-kill notification - NOT checked!

Alright, there you have it. Try it out!
And let's cut the bull****. Maybe it truly doesn't work for everyone, and I can't explain why?!

THE BOTTOM LINE: Since installing the APOLLO TASK KILLER, I only need to charge my phone every 3 days. This includes "moderate" (we already went over this so please don't ask me to define it) texting, browsing, and talking.

Reaction score
s54, interesting if slightly angry post :)

I have been running the Apollo app (which was still called ATK 3 days ago), for 3 days with similar settings to you, I use the notification to see what it's doing. Before this with pretty similar use I was getting about 20 hours between charges. For these 3 days I have been getting about 16 hours and I've been using the phone a bit less.

I can't explain it either and I am simply STUNNED that anyone can get that much use without a charge. If I leave my phone off all night it drops about 30%

Reaction score
these phones are like gas mileages, they'll all vary even if we all have the same model. like it was said earlier, there will be ppl that get an amazing battery performance, and then there will be people who dont.

s54, what ppl may wonder is that, are you running any widgets? if so, which ones?

BrooklynDROID

Reaction score
I decided to do a "highly scientific" experiment overnight with my Droid and Apollo.

I charged it to 100% and then at approximately 8:30PM I removed it from the dock and set it on my desk.

When I woke up at 5:10AM this morning, the battery had dropped to 90%. In other words, it only lost 10% of it's battery charge.

Without Apollo, I have seen it drop to 60%-70% battery (30%-40% loss)

So, in my eyes, Apollo works.:)

As far as which apps were running or killed, I have my ignore list set with anything having to do with messaging, calls, or email. Everything else gets killed. WiFi was on when I put the phone down at night.

htbyron

Reaction score
I am also seeing substantial improvement after installing and configuring these 2 apps, on top of the marginal but notable improvement from the 2.1 update. I don't want to get into a debate with anyone about whether they believe me or not, or why it might be working for some and not others. But I encourage others to give these a try to see if this approach will work for you. If not, uninstall the apps and be done with it.

shugknight

Reaction score
I decided to do a "highly scientific" experiment overnight with my Droid and Apollo.

I charged it to 100% and then at approximately 8:30PM I removed it from the dock and set it on my desk.

When I woke up at 5:10AM this morning, the battery had dropped to 90%. In other words, it only lost 10% of it's battery charge.

Without Apollo, I have seen it drop to 60%-70% battery (30%-40% loss)

So, in my eyes, Apollo works.:)

As far as which apps were running or killed, I have my ignore list set with anything having to do with messaging, calls, or email. Everything else gets killed. WiFi was on when I put the phone down at night.

Brooklyn, I did the same test last night. Normally I only unplug my phone in the morning right before work. But last night I decided at 11:45pm, I would unplug it and see how long it will last throughout an entire work day without charging.

Normally, leaving my phone unplugged on a full charge overnight, will result in a lost of 30-40% of my battery by the next morning. Maybe more.

This morning, after having the phone on overnight for more than 9 hours, it was at 80%. I've been listening to my music since 8:30am (it's 11am now) and now it's currently at 60%.

I think that's pretty good and I feel that it proves that Apollo works.

S54, don't sweat what everyone says. The difference you see on your phone is for you to enjoy. If others are unwilling to believe you, without testing your findings, then it is their lost.

slinky

Reaction score
Apollo kept killing mylock. I couldn't find a way to add it to the list of exceptions which was empty. Overall it was fine but I saw it as a partial annoyance.

Screebl was a big source of killing my battery. It kept leaving the screen on instead of turning it off in several situations.

shugknight

Reaction score
So I just installed JuiceDefender in hopes of increasing my battery even more.

Are the default settings ok? Or does anyone have any settings they recommend?

ARZ

Reaction score
only apollo task killer has auto kill, not advanced task killer.
:motdroidhoriz:
Yea the first post says to search for "advanced task killer" when you should really search for "apollo task killer".

I think.

I just down loaded it cause the phone was hot as hell and I havent made one call or done anything, unplugged it from the charger at 6am on the nose and by 8:30 it was down to 70% and the phone isnt even a week old. Matter of fact it was at 6pm yesterday.

Hope this works, weird thing is in the task up at the top it shows 2 task killers running, and you can actually select it to kill the task killer itself?

Any advise on this one?!?! Kinda confusing.

Like if a bought a gofer killing gofer to kill all the gofers in my yard...
Would it kill itself first?

FoFa

Reaction score
I found since the 2.1 upgrade, my battery life was draining faster than normal. I had to charge it everyday instead of every other day basically.
So finally I discovered, I was running a beta of Locale still, turning my WiFi on when at home (only thing I used it for). Well since the 2.1 upgrade, my WiFi went to using 35% of the battery, where as prior to the 2.1 upgrade, that was not the case. And since the last charge, I didn't use the phone at home at all (on purpose) and still had a drain. So Locale on 2.1 was doing something different. Since that is not that big an issue for me, I uninstalled Locale this morning, and we will see if that makes a difference.

OP
S

s54

Reaction score
only apollo task killer has auto kill, not advanced task killer.
:motdroidhoriz:
Yea the first post says to search for "advanced task killer" when you should really search for "apollo task killer".

I think.

I just down loaded it cause the phone was hot as hell and I havent made one call or done anything, unplugged it from the charger at 6am on the nose and by 8:30 it was down to 70% and the phone isnt even a week old. Matter of fact it was at 6pm yesterday.

Hope this works, weird thing is in the task up at the top it shows 2 task killers running, and you can actually select it to kill the task killer itself?

Any advise on this one?!?! Kinda confusing.

Like if a bought a gofer killing gofer to kill all the gofers in my yard...
Would it kill itself first?

That's because you missed post #151, which explains the reason for the confusion.

TuBitMittens

Reaction score
Personally i havnt really noticed a diffence in these programs...if there is already a native task killer on the phone and im not noticing a difference then why should i otherwise?? I guess ima pretty heavy userr, i usually use my browser a lot and im constantly manually syncing emails so i guess it makes sense i shouldnt get more than a day on a charge right? Those who say they get more than 3 days MUST BE VERY LIGHT USERS..i bet if i used my phone nonsstop just for browsing it might maybe last me four hours, and yes i keep the wifi down, gps off, and brightness dimmed the lowest unless needed brighter. I ignore email, phone settings, helix, beautiful widgets and some other stuff in the task manager BUT I CANT DECIDE IF I SHOULD LET THE TASK MANAGERBITSELF RUN IN THE BACKGROUND?? Oh and i leave juice defender running as well but i cant how truly effective that is either..

xxacexx2

Reaction score
My Results!!!

I tested Juice Defender, Apollo task killer, and the phone with neither of those apps installed.
Ok, so I had to write two papers today, so I was able to devote a lot of time in sitting by my phone and let the battery drain. FYI, I keep my brightness at 100%. I have 5 screens with widgets on all of them including the google news widget.
I only tested how quickly my phone would go down to 90% in each scenario
In all these scenarios my WiFi was off and GPS stayed on.
In each scenario I rarely spent any time on my phone. Just checked it here and there, sent a text or 2, checked the market for about the same amount of time
My first test was with Juice Defender
The settings had it disabling APN or whatever a minute after the screen would turn off.
It was scheduled to turn APN on for 1m every 15m
In roughly an hour and a half my phone hit 90%

My next test was with Apollo task killer(after i uninstalled juice defender)
I ignored all of the essential stuff
It was set to kill tasks 1m after screen turns off
My phone hit 90% in roughly 30 min
I didnt believe it, so I charged it up fully and tried it again.
The second time the same thing happened

My last test was with neither app installed.
My phone hit 90% in roughly an hour and a half

My conclusion:
Juice defender MAY be beneficial BUT since my battery showed no significant increase(maybe 5 minutes) I uninstalled it because there is no point..I'd rather get all my updates and syncs done regularly
Apollo Task Killer did nothing for me. It was the quickest to drain the battery. I don't really undersand why, but it did.

I would rather have neither on my phone, because it does just fine the way it is

if you have any questions just ask

Last edited:

pyro6128

Reaction score
I tested Juice Defender, Apollo task killer, and the phone with neither of those apps installed.
Ok, so I had to write two papers today, so I was able to devote a lot of time in sitting by my phone and let the battery drain. FYI, I keep my brightness at 100%. I have 5 screens with widgets on all of them including the google news widget.
In each scenario I rarely spent any time on my phone. Just checked it here and there, sent a text or 2, checked the market for about the same amount of time
The settings had it disabling APN or whatever a minute after the screen would turn off.

My conclusion:
Juice defender MAY be beneficial BUT since my battery showed no significant increase(maybe 5 minutes) I uninstalled it because there is no point..I'd rather get all my updates and syncs done regularly
Apollo Task Killer did nothing for me. It was the quickest to drain the battery. I don't really undersand why, but it did.

I would rather have neither on my phone, because it does just fine the way it is

nicely done, finally a real test

xxacexx2

Reaction score
Update!!!

My conclusion:

Ok so I have an update with Apollo Task Killer
I said that after about 30 minutes it went to 90%
Well, at exactly 2 hours, it went to 80% (also, I made a 4 or 5 min voice call)
this is kind of odd..Im not sure why the first 30 minutes drained battery so quickly(remember i checked this twice)

Conclusion 2:
SO the other 2 options came to 90% after an hour and a half
Apollo task killer came to 80% after 2 hours
So if this trend continues then the other 2 options will still be better because they should not hit 80% until a total of 3 hours.

Now of course, I still need to test the other 2 options to make sure this trend continues....I will update again later

Last edited: