Ok, I'm done with custom ROMS

steven.rn

Reaction score
Dang me anyway. Im'a buy a Droid x on Thursday, despite the "locked and encrypted bootloader" stuff.

Much as I enjoy playing with new roms and enjoy the "latest and greatest" new themes and ROMS, the meat and potatoes for me is really in the browser, the ereader, and making calls.

I hate to admit that. However, I realized today I've spent more time over FROYO itself than actually using FROYO.

(Disclaimer: I do realize, addict that I am, that if it gets unlocked, I'll probably go back to frittering hours on tinkering again- not a bad thing, but not necessarily the bestest use of my time. Lockdown will be kinda like "rehab time" for me :))

No offense at all to those who love the ROM/DEV scene. Fun stuff.

Mostly, I'll finally get back to reading my books
(geez I love my Sci-Fi) and browsing the web.
I may even actually CALL somebody :icon_eek:

On a historical note, I remember when I first saw "Pong" by Atari in a bar..(Musta been 1972-3...whoops, dating myself...) the big fascination, was "WOW! you can CONTROL something you used to only be able to WATCH! (a tv screen)" "What POWER!"

It's kinda like that with phones too; getting to control something that used to be a black box. Very familiar thrill. Oh well... life goes on.

Kudo's to all the Dev's, and I did support them with more than words (translate: donator)... and I hope they're there when I get my next attack of "gotta know what's goin' on and what I can do" addiction revival
:r_c:

Who am I kidding.... of course they will be :icon_ banana:

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
you'll be back, wants you go root..........

erikfig

Reaction score
LOL!!! I have to agree with you on that, I got so addicted to rooting my Droid that I have tried every single rom out there, finally I get tired of expending so many hours working on my freaking phone, and desired to stop on Froyo. But the thing is that whenever I see something new for it I hook it up to my computer and start messing with it again!

OP
S

steven.rn

Reaction score
LOL!!! I have to agree with you on that, I got so addicted to rooting my Droid that I have tried every single rom out there, finally I get tired of expending so many hours working on my freaking phone, and desired to stop on Froyo. But the thing is that whenever I see something new for it I hook it up to my computer and start messing with it again!

Maybe we oughta start a 12 step plan.....

"Hi, my name is (x) and I'm a Rom-a-holic"

(crowd) "Hi X!"

Me and my d*** addictive personality. I swear, I'm going to read 10 novels before I look at another rom upgrade. Well, maybe 8. Or 5. At least 5!
...chapters... NO! I mean....oh, never mind :icon_eek:

scf

Reaction score
It's human nature. Personalization.

Hey, you got an '85 IROC-Z? Yeah, me too. Damn. (tires/rims/louvres/tint/etc)
Hey, you got Nintendo? Yeah, me too. Damn. (pads/console installation/upgrades/etc)
Hey, you got froyo? Yeah, me too. Damn. (roms/apps/lions/tigers/bears/etc)

And just DON'T even get me started on what I did to my '02 Jeep Wrangler...

tcrews

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Website
android.snkbitten.com
Why don't you try compiling your own custom ROM instead of swapping around ROMs?

Spend about the same amount of time but on your computer and leaving your phone alone for the most part until it's time to flash/test a build.

I just started doing this, I've compiled a stock 2.2 Froyo with Root and Superuser as well as compiled a full CyanogenMod 6 RC1 build. Just doing it for fun and for the learning experience and I'm not "messing" with my phone so much trying different ROMs now :)