1. You want that $100.00 in your pocket or an Amazon Fire TV don't you? Well here's the deal. With our new updated look we are in desperate need of an updated logo. The 'old' one has certainly served us well, but it's time. Find all the details here: bit.ly/1q0k6Wa
  2. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

Ok, Im done with clockwork recovery.

Discussion in 'Android Roms' started by adrynalyne, Mar 16, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. adrynalyne

adrynalyne Premium Member Premium Member Developer

I like it, I really do.

But this is literally the fifth time its bit me in arse. I just backed up a ROM, and then tried a new kernel (which broke everything) and restore back only to have EVERYTHING crash on boot. Yes I have the latest version of CW.

Ironically enough, its most often when backing up koush's ROM.

I know its CW, because I can flash an older image and the backups work--sometimes.

In this case I had to flash back from 1.7.1 to 1.6.3 just to get my phone back up with a backup I made with....1.7.1.

I'm done with it.
  2. BayouFlyFisher

BayouFlyFisher Rescue Squad

I'm with you. It will not allow me restore my phone with anything it creates. I did exactly the same thing as you, tried a new kernel and that screwed everything up. But this was after having tried CM 5.0.4.2 about 6 times. And having to reload sprecovery each time in order to use a nandroid backup.Clockwork was fine until I had to restore using it. It has never worked for me. :mad:
  3. pthance

pthance New Member

Yeah, I resigned myself to doing backups on SPRecovery and flashing his ROM's with ClockWork....its annoying to use two recovery images but hey...whatever works in my opinion.
  4. cupfulloflol

cupfulloflol New Member

I had quite a few problems with it myself, last thing I want is a recovery program to be problematic, coughRSDLitecough. What good is a recovery program if you possibly won't be able to recover things.
  5. RoLa

RoLa New Member

YEP....+1 for OP..I went back and forth a couple of times, to try out the CyanogenMod ROM. I ended up flashing the .sbf file last night because I was unable to boot into Clockwork recovery.1.7.1..UUGHH! I was so Mad!!:mad:.
    Last edited: Mar 16, 2010
  6. jdlfg

jdlfg New Member

I had that issue a couple nights back running the scripts on one of the other threads. However, after reflashing 1.6.9 I was good. I have since had to restore using 1.7.1. guess we will see.
  7. mjs31

mjs31 New Member

I lost my led light for some reason. How do I get sprecovery back?
  8. jdlfg

jdlfg New Member

You lost it completely or when the screen is on?
  9. rotordroid

rotordroid New Member

I use CW to flash Koush's ROM's, get everything the way I like, use rcimage to switch back to sprecovery, then do an sprecovery back-up of Koush....it's a pain, but that way I can always retore anything with sprecovery and never have to use CW for recovery's, only initial flashes.
  10. Flomaster

Flomaster Premium Member Premium Member

I too tried to load a CW backup and upon reboot I have every FC on me and I couldn't even do anything I had to do a battery pull and reboot into CW and install the ROM again

-=Jason=-
  11. Invader DJ

Invader DJ New Member

Yea, Clockwork Recovery does suck. I wanted to try out Cyanogen ROM, so I installed CW. I made a backup of my bugless beast install and then installed Cyanogen. After using it for awhile I wanted to revert back. Tried to restore the backup, after that couldn't boot at all. Just got to Motorola logo and froze. I thought I had bricked my phone for a little bit. Thankfully I was able to just reinstall Cyanogen from the SD card. After that I reinstalled sprecovery/nandroid and reinstalled Bugless Beast. I'm not touching Cyanogen again until CW isn't required.
  12. Riddick

Riddick New Member

What's with the people who claimed that clockwork was so superior when it clearly is buggy as hell in its current state?
  13. LtKen

LtKen New Member

I had a sneaking suspicion that CW was bad news from the get go. I dont mean to imply that the dev is unintelligent or malicious, but I had a feeling that two recovery apps would clash for a lot of people.
  14. adrynalyne

adrynalyne Premium Member Premium Member Developer

Current state, yes. Initial sate, no.
  15. Roland B.

Roland B. New Member

I've also been having trouble with CW and now finally done with it.
  16. forkup

forkup New Member

There was an issue with 1.7.7 but 1.7.7.3 is fine. I've backed up and restored with no problems.
  17. jwalletmd

jwalletmd New Member

I agree with the above....bought the CW Pro to do OTA ultimate droid updates...decided to see what Cyanogen was all about...want to go back to ultimate, but CW won't restore my backup....gives me an error "mismatch md5" or something like that....bummer
    any suggestions/help?
  18. koush

koush Premium Member Premium Member Developer

If you get force closes on restores, you can fix those by running Fix Permissions within ROM Manager. Or fix_permissions from adb. I'll just make that part of the restore process.
  19. BayouFlyFisher

BayouFlyFisher Rescue Squad

It always works for some and never works for others.
  20. koush

koush Premium Member Premium Member Developer

Also, if you hop onto IRC or PM me, I can give you my gchat. I'd be more than happy to help you and really want to fix any bugs I find in the recovery. Keep in mind that this recovery is currently not just running on the Droid, but on around 8 phones (Tattoo, N1, Sapphire, Magic, Dream, Eris, Hero, Droid...). So there are bound to be bugs, as I work around the slight differences between each phone.

But, I intend to be very supportive, but simply posting "recovery is broken, I am switching" isn't going to help me get the problem resolved. I'm very responsive to issues, just ask Blackdroid. :)
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
android cyg recover
how to extract a yaffs2 image
how to extract system.yaffs2.win
mac+os+x+unyaffs tools
mkyaffs2image for osx

mkyaffs2image.exe download

unyaffs tool mac
wunyaffs exe download