1. You want that $100.00 in your pocket or an Amazon Fire TV don't you? Well here's the deal. With our new updated look we are in desperate need of an updated logo. The 'old' one has certainly served us well, but it's time. Find all the details here: bit.ly/1q0k6Wa
  2. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

OK...I think I'm going to root....

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by DC4MVP, Jun 7, 2010.

1. DC4MVP

DC4MVP New Member

At the urging of friends, I have given serious thought to rooting my Droid.

Needless to say, I'm nervous as all hell about bricking my phone.

I've had my Droid since mid-December and have never done anything like this to the Droid or any other phone.

So, I don't care if it's been posted in another thread or another forum or whatever. I want clear, concise clarification to my questions rather than second hand questions from another thread. dancedroid

Question 1: Since I've never rooted and I have Android 2.1, I read some where that to root to 2.2, I have to go back to the early versions of 2.0 for a while? Is this true?

Question 2.1: I'm not extremely computer savvy so I want a GREAT and PRECISE guide to doing this properly and hopefully a video to go along. Where can I find one? Anyone have a direct link?

Question 2.2: Are there any guides that would explain how to root, get to 2.0 (if #1 is true), and then get to 2.2? I want one big guide to help me from start to finish, not 2-3 guides.

Question 3: Is rooting illegal? I know it voids the warranty but is there any punishment if caught with a rooted phone?

Thanks, guys.

Hopefully I get enough responses here to be able to root by tomorrow.
  2. muzhik

muzhik New Member

3. DC4MVP

DC4MVP New Member

Oh snap. Nice!!!!

And two more questions:

1. If I root, would I still get OTA updates of future Android updates (including official 2.2 release)? Or if I root, do I have to do them manually instead of OTA?

2. When i root, do I loose my contacts?
  4. muzhik

muzhik New Member

since this is beta 2.2, you might not get official OTA, but i'm not 100% sure...

your contacts should be sync with your google account, they are all restored once you go thru setup procedure, you WILL LOOSE ur sms
  5. DC4MVP

DC4MVP New Member

So I'l be stuck with beta 2.2 or when it release, could I just get the finished product via doing in manually?
  6. muzhik

muzhik New Member

i'm sure you will be able to update to final 2.2 once it releases, just follow these forums... no big deal
  7. Jmart922

Jmart922 New Member

Once you get rooted you unlock your droid's potential to what it should be, your very own customized genius phone, not just some smart phone...enjoy the pleasures of rootness!
  8. mentaloaf

mentaloaf New Member

root it

If it makes you feel any better, I was on the fence about rooting too....Let me just say that I'm sooo glad I did. No big deal at all, just make sure and do the nandroid backup BEFORE you root, then you can go back to unrooted easily. Do a lot of backups along the way too.

Not only do you reach rooted glory, but you learn a lot about how your phone works and all the different roms and themes and overclocking out there that you would never have access too unless you rooted.

From what I've been reading, I'm over froyo until one of these droid Gods (BB Pete, Cyanogen, etc...) come out with a custom 2.2 rom. Until then I'm Bugless Beast ALL THE WAY. Froyo is stock and one of the main reasons we root is to NOT be stock, so don't worry about 2.2 so much, just enjoy seeing what all the different custom roms are all about and wait for a custom froyo build!

Me personally? I've settled (for now) with Bugless Beast v1.1 w/ bekit 1gHz kernel and the blue version of the DarkEdge theme....love it

good luck!

btw: I can't remember which instructions I followed, but DON'T do the revert to 2.0.1 from 2.1 theory, it's way more difficult...there is an easier way to go straight from 2.1 using RSD lite and SPRecovery
  9. Sam

Sam Premium Member Premium Member

Mental, i was thinking the same thing about sticking with my oc rom until someone put out a good 2.2 rom, but I'm glad I went for it. Rooted 2.2 is easily attainable and seriously faster than any 2.1 rom (oc at same speeds). Running linpack, i went from hovering around 9.4 on stock 2.2 to almost 15.9 @ 1ghz.... Nit bad for doing nothing else to it.
  10. DC4MVP

DC4MVP New Member

11. MJ5150

MJ5150 New Member

No. So make the folder. Do you need help to do that?

-Mike
  12. DC4MVP

DC4MVP New Member

No, I got it.

Unfortunetly, I proceeded without that folder and I lost some stuff on my phone like apps. No biggie though, I had like 10.

Also, how do I know I rooted?

The menu layout is bad ass...almost 3Dish and says "Super user Privledges"

I also got more screens and my phone/menu/net thing is three buttons

That mean it was a success?
  13. MJ5150

MJ5150 New Member

Yep. You're done. Now go buck wild tweaking that Droid and DLing root only apps.

Welcome to the craziness.

-Mike
  14. slgunnel

slgunnel New Member

Just a thought.... but why do you want to root your phone to Froyo 2.2 beta if this is your first time? Why not root 2.1 and learn more about your phone and options?

There is a ton of support and experience on this forum with rooted 2.1 driods (not to mention all the ROMs and Themes available).

Not trying to steer you away from Froyo, but just wondering what your goals are in having a rooted driod...
  15. DC4MVP

DC4MVP New Member

Goals: World takeover.
  16. slgunnel

slgunnel New Member

I'm sure someone around here has clear directions to give you on that as well. Enjoy your rooted driod!
  17. DC4MVP

DC4MVP New Member

No directions needed.... :icon_evil:
  18. Hubbz

Hubbz New Member

You wouldn't believe how many times I "messed up" and got errors like random reboots or constant reboots. You practically have to TRY to brick your phone to brick it lol. Oh and Bugless is AWESOME ;)
  19. Mugenakuma

Mugenakuma New Member

So I'm planning to root my Droid (2.1) and was wondering, even if I backup my phones data will I lose my various game saves? I've put in some serious time playing Zenonia and really don't want to lose the game save. Any help would be most appreciated. :)
  20. dlwhtrose

dlwhtrose Super Moderator/RS Premium Member

God forsaken desert, wishing to be back in Dixie

I think it depends on how the game saves its data. If the game puts a backup or saved data on your sd card then no you won't loose that. You will loose the app though and will have to redownload it once you are rooted. If the game was a paid app then once you sign back into your google account the game will be waiting for you to re-download. Rooting does not touch your sd card only your internal memory and hard drive.