ok dumb questions...

BrianV

Reaction score
ive read on here about each phone having its own "bar code" type thing, and i see it in some of the signatures here... what is it? where do i find it? and what is it used for???? i guess blackberries has it too?

MNTNBKR

Reaction score
You can use the phones camera as a bar code scanner. The bar codes that you see here in the forums usually contain some sort of data, text, URL, etc.

There are a few good apps for this. Shopsavy and Barcode Scanner seem to be the two most popular.

nitsuj

Reaction score
I can only get Bar Code scanner to read QR type bar codes. Haven't been able to get shop savvy to read them. YMMV.

Abe21599

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I can only get Bar Code scanner to read QR type bar codes. Haven't been able to get shop savvy to read them. YMMV.

i think thats because shop savvy is ONLY for barcodes. As in searching for products.
easy solution: have them both :)

Vulcan1600

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
And, if you ever want to create a QR Code, here's a link to generate them. I prefer when people create the QR code so I can scan it with Barcode Reader, it's just easier that way.

Link: QR-Code Generator
Or, use your Barcode Reader and scan this:

qrcode.png

OP
B

BrianV

Reaction score
I have the scanner app. ... the thing I'm talking about isn't an actual bar code. .. it is more like a square. I'm told it contains your contact info. And another Droid can scan it and it will add your contact info to another phone. I heard blackberry used it to add contact info for bb messanger. ........ maybe I'm not hearing the right info

Guchi

Reaction score
yep and my winmo phone used them to install .cab files strait from websites