Ok do my Apps data backup now?

abe7333

Reaction score
Two questions guys
Ok is my data from my apps going to backup now? (i have froyo 2.2)

Second I just reset my phone and I had to install all my apps manually. I couldn't figure out what my old apps were. Is there a way when I reset my phone I am going to know what apps I had?

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

OP
abe7333

abe7333

Reaction score
Anybody?

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
When you do a factory data reset your paid apps all go into the downloads section of the Market and you can reinstall them from there. Your unpaid apps will have to be reinstalled, I would suggest doing this on an as needed basis.

OP
abe7333

abe7333

Reaction score
When you do a factory data reset your paid apps all go into the downloads section of the Market and you can reinstall them from there. Your unpaid apps will have to be reinstalled, I would suggest doing this on an as needed basis.

So is my data from my apps saved in this froyo update. Because I heard somewhere that google bavks up all your apps?

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score

So is my data from my apps saved in this froyo update. Because I heard somewhere that google bavks up all your apps?

When the OTA comes through you shouldn't lose any of your apps. There really is nothing you need to do. http://support.vzw.com/pdf/system_update/droid_x.pdf

You may need to log in to see the step by step instructions.

wmscottmc

Reaction score

What exactly are you asking about? Did you lose something during the upgrade, or do you just want to know how to backup your apps and data?

There is a feature in the settings/privacy screen, "Back up my Data". I havent tried it.

I would like to know if anybody has tried it what it does. Does it backup ALL apps and data, including data from 3rd party apps? Where does it save the backup? How can data be restored if needed?

With 2.1, I could backup most of my apps, but the data for those apps were not backed up (which is all that I really care about). The backup tools that I researched would not backup data on non-rooted phones, usually only the app was backed up, which is kind of useless.

timrock

Reaction score
i have an app called MyBackup Pro, it backs up the applications and the data (to your card or online, you choose). Comes in handy if you need to hard reset a device. Also, in Astro File Manager, you can back up your apps as well, but not data.

wmscottmc

Reaction score
i have an app called MyBackup Pro, it backs up the applications and the data (to your card or online, you choose). Comes in handy if you need to hard reset a device. Also, in Astro File Manager, you can back up your apps as well, but not data.

MyBackupPro backs up data for some applications, about 20 I think. The apps that I am interested in backing up are not on the approved list for MyBackupPro. You need to verify that your application is on the list of apps that allow mybackuppro to backup its data, otherwise only the application itself is being backed up.

What I had hoped for is an application that will backup all data for all apps, even if the phone isnt rooted. There wasnt a backup program that would do this using 2.1, maybe the built in 'backup my data' will do this in 2.2?

OP
abe7333

abe7333

Reaction score
I thought vic said that with froyo google will back up data with apps too. I an poetry sure I heard that.

wmscottmc

Reaction score
Not sure who Vic is, but I would love to hear if anybody has backed up and (most importantly) restored using the new 'backup my data' feature in 2.2.

And is there any way to know exactly what is being backed up, and what isnt?

Thanks!

OP
abe7333

abe7333

Reaction score
Not sure who Vic is, but I would love to hear if anybody has backed up and (most importantly) restored using the new 'backup my data' feature in 2.2.

Thanks!

Vic gandotra. The guy in the I/O conference. I want to know that too. Watch the clip on youtube. He days with froyo your data from apps is backed up too. Has anybody figured that out yet?

Sent from my DROIDX

wmscottmc

Reaction score

Thanks!

Vic gandotra. The guy in the I/O conference. I want to know that too. Watch the clip on youtube. He days with froyo your data from apps is backed up too. Has anybody figured that out yet?

Sent from my DROIDX
I think what he is saying that froyo can backup your data, but only if your app allows it. This is similar to how the other backup programs like mybackup work. They CAN backup your app data, but only for some apps that have been configured to allow it.

Im still not convinced that there is a way to backup these Android phones completely unless they are rooted.

Correct me if Im wrong.

Guitar4Him

Reaction score
I did a hard reset on my Droid. When it came back up it installed ALL my apps, both free and paid, automatically. I didn't have to do anything but wait...it was automatic. I did have to tweak some settings but every single one of my apps re-installed automatically. I assumed that this was how it always worked. Are some folks having to manually re-install their free apps?

wmscottmc

Reaction score
What we are talking about isnt backing up and restoring apps, we are talking about the data that is stored on the phone. For example, you can install an app that lets you enter trip expenses and then enter a lot of trip expenses (the app data). If you hard reset your phone, the app will be reinstalled, but will all of the data that you have entered be restored?

Does the 'backup my data' feature need to be enabled in order for saved app data to be backed up, and has anybody attempted to restore both apps and the app data?

I have a couple of apps that I have installed, and that I have entered a lot of data into. I could easily reinstall these apps if needed, but need a way to backup all of the data that I have entered. The backup programs that I have tested only backup the app, but not the data (which is what really needs to be backed up). When you backup your pc you arent so interested in backing up MS Word, you are really interested in backing up your documents that you created with Word.

The app data that is being discussed is like the Word documents that you may have created on your pc.

Last edited:

Guitar4Him

Reaction score
On some of these "data" apps, the default location for data is on the SD card. On others, you can choose a location. If given that opportunity, choose somewhere on the SD card. Then, the data is not affected by a hard reset.

In my case, I use MyBackup Pro to backup my data, both on the SD card and online.