Ok Audiophiles is bluetooth the way to go?

s-one

Reaction score
Ok I think after spending some money on wired headphones to only last 6 months I think I'm going to move on to wireless for my Droid. They weren't expensive at all.. probably less than $100 and the wires started to have some static. Testing it on another player it is the wires and not the connector on the Droid which unfortunately I hear complaints about. Does the Droid or bluetooth for that matter play music acoustically well through wireless just like wires? Any suggestions on some wireless bluetooth cans? Btw, I'm not looking for some cheapo Motorola stuff... you know some decent wireless cans.

thanks!

R

Romple

Well Bluetooth 2.1 + EDR has a max transfer rate of 3 MBits/sec, with an accepted practical rate of around 2 MBits/sec.

Assume you're using mp3s (which a lot of true audiophiles wouldn't use, but it's an easy comparison). ISO sets the standard at 320kbit/sec max rate for mp3 decoders. So the Droid has no problem streaming this.

If you're using something like FLAC you still have a lot of room to go. But if you care about quality that much you're burning through space with FLACs it'll come down to your headset more than bluetooth.

I just put a bluetooth head unit in my car and I'm only limited by it and my speakers at this point. Interestingly, the aux jack in my car was pretty flakey so I had some distortion and lossed channels at times. Now I have no issues.

I don't think you'll be disappointed by going bluetooth. Unfortunately I don't walk around enough to have a good pair of cans on my head so can't help you much there.

OP
s-one

s-one

Reaction score
Hey Romple thanks for the response. Yep you are right and I do listen with FLAC. Pat Metheny and FLAC through my wired headset was just phenomenal! So gathering from what you said bluetooth is capable of streaming at 3Mbits/sec which means plenty of room for FLAC to stream. That's great news.. so.. I just gotta find some decent bluetooth headphones. Can you or anyone recommend some good ones?

Thanks!

///Merlin\\\

Reaction score
I just got a pair of motorokr s9hd to use on my droid. They have truly killer bass. Hi definition surround sound. And most important to me is the volume. Plenty enough to ride my motorcycle at highway speed and still here the music over all the noise.

stumpie

Reaction score
S-one , I have been in to high end audio for years . I have a two channel system set up in a dedicated room .. Big soundstage with precise imaging . yet spacious and open sound ... Love my Vandersteen's

That said ,, I would love to here the Sennheiser MM 450 Bluetooth Headset with the Droid .... Anyone ever heard these ? They are $364.00 at Amazon..

Like Merlin I have the Motorola S9-HD Bluetooth Headset also,, and I like them .. The sound is really pretty good ..

elsonador3

Reaction score
Sennheiser MM 450

That said ,, I would love to here the Sennheiser MM 450 Bluetooth Headset with the Droid .... Anyone ever heard these ? They are $364.00 at Amazon..
----------------

I own a pair of Sennheiser MM 450s (and they are absolutely worth the money. I bought them specifically for my phone, the DROID, with which they perform flawlessly. It's difficult to justify spending $450 on them at first (I couldn't wait for the price to drop in all honesty), but once they're around your head you won't regret the purchase.

As an audiophile, I cannot rave enough about the sound.
The quality of the few flac files I can run through the phone (through the application andLess) are just amazing. I could write pages upon pages in further detail about this but the aforementioned statements are sufficient.

In regards to Bluetooth phone call compatibility... holy sh*t!!! That's all that needs to be said. The calls sound better through the 450s than they do through the replaced Bluetooth earpiece. With one push of a button you can activate the MM 450's Bluetooth speaker which allows you to hear everything around you amplified, without having to remove the headset to speak to someone or hear something in the room. Also, the goddamn things appear to be nearly indestructible. They look delicate but they're absolutely NOT.

I haven't been able to figure out the device's compatibility with my PS3 or old PC, but I'm sure this dongle has something to do with it. I'll buy it later.

~Brent

OP
s-one

s-one

Reaction score
Just wow! I was doing some research into this and I zeroed in on the same headphones. The Sennheiser MM 450. I've been searching high and low for reviews and found a few on iPhone/Pod sites with great results. Thank you kindly for your suggestion and reviews. I'd like to ask though are you finding the NoiseGard (Noise Cancellation) helpful.. useful? I have read great reviews with these sets but one downside which may not be related to the the headphones is some say they can here audio compression? Or some sort of artifact? Not sure what they mean since I've never listened to bluetooth devices.

elsonador3

Reaction score
Just wow! I was doing some research into this and I zeroed in on the same headphones. The Sennheiser MM 450. I've been searching high and low for reviews and found a few on iPhone/Pod sites with great results. Thank you kindly for your suggestion and reviews. I'd like to ask though are you finding the NoiseGard (Noise Cancellation) helpful.. useful? I have read great reviews with these sets but one downside which may not be related to the the headphones is some say they can here audio compression? Or some sort of artifact? Not sure what they mean since I've never listened to bluetooth devices.

I have found the NoiseGuard only slightly useful. Like I mentioned before, when music is playing, I can't hear anything outside. When music is off, I can hear outside sounds, they don't perform like the Bose model. As far as artifacts go... I know what you're talking about. I think I read the same review (possibly).

I haven't noticed any artifacts nor have I ever experienced a "slowed-down" effect at all, I'm not saying it's not there, I just haven't noticed it.

It's quite possible that was written by someone with a defective device (but then again, who knows?). The only thing I've noticed is a very high pitched (and almost imperceptible) sound when music isn't playing and Bluetooth is still connected (which isn't surprising).

bmcelvan

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
galaxy s4 mini
Well Bluetooth 2.1 + EDR has a max transfer rate of 3 MBits/sec, with an accepted practical rate of around 2 MBits/sec.

Assume you're using mp3s (which a lot of true audiophiles wouldn't use, but it's an easy comparison). ISO sets the standard at 320kbit/sec max rate for mp3 decoders. So the Droid has no problem streaming this.

If you're using something like FLAC you still have a lot of room to go. But if you care about quality that much you're burning through space with FLACs it'll come down to your headset more than bluetooth.

I just put a bluetooth head unit in my car and I'm only limited by it and my speakers at this point. Interestingly, the aux jack in my car was pretty flakey so I had some distortion and lossed channels at times. Now I have no issues.

I don't think you'll be disappointed by going bluetooth. Unfortunately I don't walk around enough to have a good pair of cans on my head so can't help you much there.

Don't know where you got your bluetooth specs about 3Mbit/s but it is WAY WAY OFF!! Cannot stream FLAC files yet. Can but its nearly impossible to find equipment to stream MP3 and AAC files.

The data rate is more around 320kbps by the way

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Like I said, thanks for the info. Haha! I spend most of my time in the "Active Topics" area here, so I forget how you can find these old posts with a quick search. Better to have someone stumble upon this thread and see your helpful info than to take the wrong info as truth and move on.

bmcelvan

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
galaxy s4 mini
Exactly my thoughts indeed! There is so much mis-information out there...especially concerning bluetooth. For example, I'm sure most of the posters above don't realize they are not bluetooth bitstreaming FLAC files which is impossible at the moment technically not to mention that you have to have the codec on both the phone AND the speaker/headphone/amp/etc. to be able to do it.

With that said IF you have an apt-x compatible phone I'm sure the MM 450s sound great!

Last edited:

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Yeah. I'll be honest. I have a bluetooth adapter in my truck and a pair of BT headphones. I can set them up and pair them, but other than that, I don't know much about the technology...

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
I know but it pops up frequently when searching about bluetooth audio so for peeople looking for info about it...

Like I said, thanks for the info. Haha! I spend most of my time in the "Active Topics" area here, so I forget how you can find these old posts with a quick search. Better to have someone stumble upon this thread and see your helpful info than to take the wrong info as truth and move on.

Me too Jonny Kansas... I'm always in the most recent posts or active threads. I never thought about that either...that someone would pull up an outdated thread and might not realize the technology had surpassed the info on that thread. Thanks @bmcelvan for adding updated info to this thread. Cool!

And welcome to DroidForums! It's great to have you aboard.

sent from my Note3, (currently, but soon to be??) using tapatalk