Oh what a slippery slope....

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by apastuszak, Sep 18, 2010.

1. apastuszak

apastuszak New Member

I was noticing some lag on my phone when answering calls with MP3 ringtones. So, figuring FRG22D was going to be the last Android update for the Droid, I decided to root and overclock.

So, that went well. I downloaded a ULV 1 Ghz kernel and installed SetCPU. Then I noticed there were a number of apps in the market for rooted users only.

So, off I go installing apps. I can now take screenshots on the phone.

Then I got this brilliant idea to replace my battery indicator with something that shows percentage. Went hunting and found some stuff that requires root that might do it, but it required deodexed files, which the stock ROM is not.

So then I go looking at custom ROMs....

This rooting thing is a slippery slope. You start with needing one function, and then you end with a custom ROM, and more fun than you can shake a stick at!
    Last edited: Sep 18, 2010
  2. drpaul07

drpaul07 Member

i'm the same way. i was always happy with everything stock. the first time i tried rooting, i used droidmod 1.0 and put a early 2.1 rom, but it was buggy and i wasn't too happy with it. So i unrooted and stayed stock for months. then when psx4droid came out, i rooted again to overclock to make the emulator run smoother (and it does make a big difference). So i stayed stock 2.1 rooted forever, then stock 2.2 rooted. Now i'm on my first custom rom (CM6) and i'm loving it! I waited until the stable CM6 was out. I recently added my first theme too (Black n Bold). Now i'm using root explorer and terminal emulator more often. I just got the invite to app inventor so i'm messing with that too. I'm always looking for things to change or upgrade. Its so much fun!
  3. Tanknspank

Tanknspank Beta Team Premium Member

Next you will be on custom roms, trying to get everything perfect, applying or even making themes of your own, and wonder how people only run stock froyo :)

Sent from my Droid
  4. donerico

donerico New Member

And to think that just a week ago I thought things like bootloader, SPRecovery, Clockworck, nandroids, custom ROMs, themes, and overclocked kernels was something that only genius geeks could understand...
  5. abraham3660

abraham3660 New Member

Fro the battery percentage thing just download the custom ROM Ultimate Droid 8. It is a very smooth and awesome ROM. It is very customizable also. Just go into setting and click Ultimate Droid and you can customize many different things, such as showing battery percentage.
  6. xkape

xkape Premium Member Theme Developer Premium Member

It's like you have been watching me from day 1 of Droid ownership :)
  7. Tanknspank

Tanknspank Beta Team Premium Member

I have... :icon_eek:
  8. xkape

Well, there's Miller Lite in the fridge in the garage. Come on in and watch some football. lol

Do you know how, by the way, I can put this dang phone down and do something non related?
  9. bmx24

bmx24 New Member

Ya I know I rember way back when when I got my phone and a fello hacker at the verizon stor told me about rooting so about a mounth later I. Took the plunj into rooting and let me say that was a ***** I used rsd light to downgrate and I didn't know what to do after that so I up graded back to 2.1and like a week later I flashed sp recovery with rsd lite and next thing I know I have htc sense on my phone and now I am running ud8 with the theme I made to get things just rite and I have also ben expermenting with the sense 2.2 port
  10. apastuszak

apastuszak New Member

OK, if I do put a custom ROM on it....

If I do put a custom ROM on the Droid, how do I get all my apps back on it? I don't want to go through the market and pick everything again? I'm thinking about Ultimate Droid 8. It looked quite interesting.
  11. donerico

donerico New Member

Yes, you can do what I did this morning: Give your Droid a bath!
    Just after I made the jump and rooted it, Flashed UD8 and (yesterday) flashed my first kernel (Chevy 1100 LV) and had it working perfectly...
    I got out of a nice warm bath this morning and while getting dressed knocked the droid right into the bathtub! Got it out and it had somehow turned on, got the battery out after struggling with the case it was in, dried it the best I could and proceeded to put it in a bowl of rice and stick it in the oven. I think the oven must have been too hot because when I looked at it at one point the screen looked all blotchy. Took it out of the oven and left it on the counter for several hours. Eight hours later I couldn't resist and put the battery in and turned it on... the thing actually came on as if nothing had happened and the screen looks just fine. I decided however to take the battery off again and wait until tomorrow.
    SO I am forced to do something other than play with my droid :(
  12. furbearingmammal

furbearingmammal DF Super Moderator

So far north in NY I smell maple syrup when the wi
    Well, there's always the opposite sex. I'm told they can be quite attractive and fun to play with. ;)
  13. nateccnn

nateccnn Member

HAHAHA...BTDT! And eventually you go back to stock, root, oc and that one thing you started wanting. No custom roms here and I can say my phone is running better than it ever has before. Only OCed to 800 with the stock kernel. All I need beyond that is WiFi Tether. Of course, I also installed root explorer since I was rooted.

When I first rooted I almost got a divorce. The wife said she was tired of looking at my bald spot.

Nate
  14. nateccnn

nateccnn Member

After installing the custom rom just clear your data and cache and the phone will require reprogamming then it will ask for your google account passwrod. After tyhat it will download everything you got from the market and install them.

Takes a while. But it will get 'er done.

Nate
  15. icculusX

icculusX Premium Member Theme Developer Premium Member

Story of my life.......... yep
  16. UltraDroid

UltraDroid DF Super Moderator Staff Member

Mine too. And the thing is, it quickly turns into an OBSESSION. The more I experience, the more I *want* to experience. Each new Rom and Theme, they're like exploring an undiscovered country...fun, fun, FUN! dancedroid

-Mike
  17. xkape

Too bad my wife doesn't feel this way :(
  18. hankafyin

hankafyin New Member

I use Titanium Backup (free) from marketplace. It reinstalls all marketplace apps, and the "other source" apps I just keep on my SD card, and use Astro to reinstall. After I get everything back to square one, I back up with ROM Manager. This has worked for me, I change ROMs at the drop of a hat. With the exception of loading "too hot of an OC/low voltage kernel" it has become a routine.