Oh, Gawd...another Help Me Pick A Phone thread...

nateccnn

Reaction score
So, I have a Thunderbolt with unlimited everyfreakinthing! Including unlimited wifi tether. I've been using android since cupcake was out. I root...I run OEM roms...I do not steal but I like to play with customization.

Now my girlfriend has a phone and it has a camera in it. And that's about all she knows about that.

I want to get her an android smartphone but I don't need a power phone. What I really need is a phone that has amazing battery life (for a smartphone...I know it's a lot to ask for). I got her an ASUS Transformer which does not have 3G but I thought that if the phone has wifi tether she could connect the two. Not a big deal since I have wifi tether she can always use mine to connect while on the road, but it would be a useful feature. The most important thing is battery life and NO LAGGINESS. But does not have to be cutting edge since she will have the Transformer for that power plays.

Smaller form factor might even be a plus since she is not used to smartphones she would probably think the smallest screen out there is huge compared to her current phone. But the screen needs to be big enough that she can see pictures I send to her. She says she won't facebook on the phone but I'm thinking once she realizes she can, she will.

Which phones from Verizon should I look at. If I add a line I'm pretty sure I can get a free phone so that's important to consider.

Recommendation to look into?

Thanks,

Nate

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
htc rhyme is aimed towards the female crowd....

As for lagginess, no matter what phone you get she'll experience it at one point. Small hiccups will happen. Battery life is a bit tough to measure as it's subjective and depends on how she uses the phone.

Most important questions: Has she looked at phones herself? Do any of them interest her?

ilikemoneygreen

Silver Member
Reaction score
IMO she should get an iphone 4 or something like that. Android in general isnt as easy as ios so i hear. The htc ryme looks pretty cool too if she likes purple and want a purse dongle. Its android but isnt 4g which i guess sounds like what u want since it isnt cutting edge. Its a pretty solid phone.

ilikemoneygreen

Silver Member
Reaction score
htc rhyme is aimed towards the female crowd....

As for lagginess, no matter what phone you get she'll experience it at one point. Small hiccups will happen. Battery life is a bit tough to measure as it's subjective and depends on how she uses the phone.

Most important questions: Has she looked at phones herself? Do any of them interest her?
Ahh beat me to enter button. :mad::D

OP
N

nateccnn

Reaction score
Up to this point she has stated emphatically that she does not want a smartphone. This wekend I explained that she would be able to view pictures and she got a little excited. I then mentioned the fact she could get her exchange mail from work and that sealed the deal (she's a bit of a workaholic...in sales and all). So, no...she has not looked at any phones yet. I'll probably take her to the Vz store this wekeend and see if she gravitates towards any. But I want to be prepared to steer her away from the junk pile as she tends to be cheap. My main concern is good battery life (subjective, I know), Gingerbread at least and a decent processor (1 ghz single core minimum).

I hate iPhone and iPads. No, No, No...I don't care if they are easier to use. I will teach her how to handle android. LOL Oh...and she owned an iPad2 for about two days and gave it away. Flash was the main culprit.

Thanks for the input.

Nate

ilikemoneygreen

Silver Member
Reaction score
Up to this point she has stated emphatically that she does not want a smartphone. This wekend I explained that she would be able to view pictures and she got a little excited. I then mentioned the fact she could get her exchange mail from work and that sealed the deal (she's a bit of a workaholic...in sales and all). So, no...she has not looked at any phones yet. I'll probably take her to the Vz store this wekeend and see if she gravitates towards any. But I want to be prepared to steer her away from the junk pile as she tends to be cheap. My main concern is good battery life (subjective, I know), Gingerbread at least and a decent processor (1 ghz single core minimum).

I hate iPhone and iPads. No, No, No...I don't care if they are easier to use. I will teach her how to handle android. LOL Oh...and she owned an iPad2 for about two days and gave it away. Flash was the main culprit.

Thanks for the input.

Nate
Battery life is subjective.... steer clear of any 4g device then. they arnt their yet in battery life. Droid 3 id pretty cool and has a keyboard. Id let her play with phones at the store. the ryme is pretty much the newest 3g device i think.

TheOldFart

Reaction score
The Rhyme seems to be a nice phone. It is basically a slightly updated Dinc2 (Sense 3.5 vs 2.1), with a 3.7" screen instead of a 4" one. Both have the same Android GB version. My wife was using it to let me test the speaker phone on the Dinc2. I thought both speakers on the Dinc2 had a low volume, so we switched phones. The Rhyme was much louder without any distortion. I might consider it if it came in black. The purse dongle just plugs into the headphone jack. It is sort of expensive, at $200, but it does come with a charging cradle. The phone seller at the local Target store has it for $20. They are not affiliated with Target wireless, the online Target store.

robert70

Reaction score
Id vote for the Droid x2.

Sent from the inside of my locker using DroidForums

googlelover

Reaction score
Or, you could think outside of the box, get a 4G phone, and turn off the 4G radio. You'll get better battery life then you would with any of the 3G only phones.

Eiji

Reaction score
I would say either get the inc2 or b the stratosphere(turn the 4G tuner off). Both just happen to be free at best buy v this week

Sent from my ADR6400L using DroidForums