.ogg?

the5barrons

Reaction score
I gather .ogg is a sound file type that the DX (and prob others) for ringtones and such.

I see where it keeps them in the system/media/audio/notification or ringtones. Seeing that the DX can use even mp3 format for ringtones, can I put in any format file to the notifications folder and subsequently use that as a notification tone instead of the factory notification sounds?

I have quite a few downloaded clip files that are just quick mp3's that I used to have on my BB, which could assign any sound for any thing, email text, call, calendar, alarm. The DX can't assign custom sounds except for ringtone. email text and such, is sol (that is unless I'm missing something).

Yes, I know I could run another app to get around it, but I'm not interested in using another app for just ringtones and sounds. I would like to just place files in there and have it work that way if possible.

DF Smod

Silver Member
Reaction score
You can put mp3 files in that location and it will work just fine :happy:

Sent from my Droid

OP
the5barrons

the5barrons

Reaction score
Mmmm...nope. Using Astro, it won't let me move or copy anything from my sdcard (.mp3) to the system/media/audio/ringtones or /notifications. It's a grayed out option.

JRobzilla

Reaction score
Mmmm...nope. Using Astro, it won't let me move or copy anything from my sdcard (.mp3) to the system/media/audio/ringtones or /notifications. It's a grayed out option.

I believe anything /system...will be mounted r/o, so you'll need a root explorer to mount the folder r/w to copy things to it.

OP
the5barrons

the5barrons

Reaction score

I believe anything /system...will be mounted r/o, so you'll need a root explorer to mount the folder r/w to copy things to it.

hmmm. I haven't used root explorer yet...just haven't the need. Till now...lol.

I suspect it's easier than I think it is. Root Explorer is the paid app right?

DF Smod

Silver Member
Reaction score
Root Explorer is the end all of file managment applications - well worth the few dollars

Sent from my Droid

aggie12

Reaction score
Root Explorer is the end all of file managment applications - well worth the few dollars

Sent from my Droid

Yeah, this was my first app I paid for and I don't regret one cent of it. Essential for a rooted phone.

Abe21599

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
i also do this (to use blackberry notification tones lol) and it works.

Abe21599

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
yea i still have both tho. idk why lol just try out root explorer and see if u need both or not..

but yea theyre just both file managers so u should be good with just root explorer

OP
the5barrons

the5barrons

Reaction score
Ok got it. I see the rw button. I know how to work my way around the file folders...how do I move a mp3 from sd card to the system/media/audio blah blah blah to where there is only ogg?

Swyped while being lazy in the DXForumApp

Abe21599

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Navigate to sdcard, long Pres file, select move, navigate to location you want it to be, click on the R/W button, and click paste.

Sent from my DROIDX

bcals0087

Reaction score
I also use root explorer, and a file manager specifically for my sd card. Sometimes i feel a little crowded in root explorer when i'm only trying to browse my sd card. The file manager app with the white file icon in the market is light but very efficient.

OP
the5barrons

the5barrons

Reaction score
Yup, I actually just figured it out right before I checked the thread again. I think a reboot was necessary after moving in order for the files to showon the actual settings menus. Nice how you can move and mount multiple files per folder too. Very cool.

I love having control of the phone. Really...its nice to be able to manipulate basically every facet of it.

Swyped while being lazy in the DXForumApp