OG Droid users!

geeyawn

Reaction score
So my OG Droid, which i love with all my heart... decided to take a dump on me. In the middle of texting, my screen decided to open up apps on its own. When i let it run through, i was able to hit back a few times to get back to the messaging screen. After texting, i turn off my screen. The next time i tried to unlock my screen, the touchscreen was not responding. I tried countless battery pulls, system reboots etc. No luck at all. I tried calling verizon but my phone is no longer under warranty.

This is where you guys come in! I have an upgrade available and i wanted to see what people are saying about the droid 3. My other option was an iphone, but something in my heart does not want to give apple any of my money. I love keyboards, i think thats impt.

christim

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Can you get to the boot menu? Turn the phone off, hold down the X key on the slide out keyboard, don't let go of the X key and power the phone on...and don't let go of the X key. Once the Triangle screen comes up (now you can let go of the X key) hit the Volume Up and Camera button. If you can get into there you might be able to do a factory reset and have a phone while you decide if now is the time you want to upgrade. Good luck.

As to which phone...that's a tough call. Everyone is going to have a favorite. I'm waiting for the Bionic. Both the Bionic and D3 appear to have slide out keyboards.

b-jammin21

Reaction score
Can you get to the boot menu? Turn the phone off, hold down the X key on the slide out keyboard, don't let go of the X key and power the phone on...and don't let go of the X key. Once the Triangle screen comes up (now you can let go of the X key) hit the Volume Up and Camera button. If you can get into there you might be able to do a factory reset and have a phone while you decide if now is the time you want to upgrade. Good luck.

As to which phone...that's a tough call. Everyone is going to have a favorite. I'm waiting for the Bionic. Both the Bionic and D3 appear to have slide out keyboards.

+1. I was also going to recommend a factory reset.

And +2, I am also waiting on the bionic...

OP
G

geeyawn

Reaction score
i did the factory reset and the touch screen still isnt responding. i have a feeling its a hardware issue. I have a friend willing to sell me his old OG droid for 25 bucks, i think its worth it for the time being, just o have a phone. are you sure the bionic has a silde out keyboard? cause if it does, im totally gonna wait on that.

OP
G

geeyawn

Reaction score
so i was able to pick up an og droid from a friend for 20 buks and everything is working great. verizon did call me and offered to order a droid 3 for me. I had to bite my tongue and say no because of having an og already. Maybe wait til something else with a cooler keyboard might come out? or just wait for reviews....

sarreq

Reaction score
i was waiting for the bionic, also, but my d1 may force my hand before then.

btw, the bionic its a slab, no keyboard

pyrofreak

Reaction score
the droid 3 is amazing i got mine yesterday and i love it even if its running "motoblur" my only complaint is that it has no camera button and the battery cover is hell to get off but thats also good cause its not gonna pop off like my OG droids did all the time.

i would highly recommend the d3 it seems to have very good battery life and the new keyboard is FREAKING AWESOME

phonetool

Reaction score
$20 for a Droid is a steal! Sell it to me when you get the D3! lol
dancedroid

Hawkian

Reaction score
The Droid 3 is incredible. Love the keyboard more than any other keyboard on any phone. Screen and resolution are gorgeous, and MotoBlur isn't anywhere near as intrusive as I expected. Love it. Tossed the 16GB card from the OG Droid I upgraded from in there for massive storage, though with the Google Music beta I'll probably never come anywhere close to filling it up. dancedroid

edit: Some more impressions.
-Camera makes the Droid's look like the sad joke it is. Haven't played with video recording yet but it seems impressive.
-Battery door is in fact hell to get off. Think they're overcompensating for the original's sometimes-loose sliding cover.
-Speaker is ****ing INSANE. Maybe the most powerful on any phone I've seen in person. On the OG Droid I always had my Phone Ringtone volume maxed. My Droid 3 is set with a similar ringtone at less than 50%. It notably smokes the speakers on my Asus Transformer, which is kind of funny.
-Speedy, responsive, synced all my apps in just a few minutes.

sacnotsack

Reaction score
Wow, so my OG touch screen went out Monday morning. It was a sad sad day. I ended up getting the DI2 and am very happy with the choice. Except that it came with OS version 2.3, and I can't root. :( But with a little time of will happen. I do miss my OG though.

Sent from my DI 2 using DroidForums

EmmVeePee

Reaction score
I just ditched my Droid... FINALLY. It was a great phone for about 4 months... once Google ditched taskkillers the phone was essentially useless.