OG Droid showing its age.

Discussion in 'Android General Discussions' started by Djanvk, Dec 17, 2011.

1. Djanvk

Djanvk Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Anyone else feel their OG Droid is starting to show its age when it comes to apps? A lot of them seem to be slowing down my well used and enjoyed Droid.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

2. vonfink13

vonfink13 Member

Ratings:
    +7
    Mine was dragging so much that I had to pull the battery at least twice a day...so I went and replaced it witha Razr...

Sent from my DROID RAZR using DroidForums

3. nbucko

nbucko Member

Ratings:
    +6
    That got to be my biggest issue with the og. The apps are being made for faster devices beyond the capabilities of the og. Finally retired mine and picked up a nexus. Hopefully it becomes the next og...

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using DroidForums

4. dezymond

dezymond Tech Support Mod
    Staff Member Premium Member

Ratings:
    +1,642
    Current Phone Model:
    Google Pixel
    I believe it was agreed couple months back that the Droid was showing its age. I know mine is. Put up one hell of a run though, still working but strongly considering selling after upgrading to the Nexus.

5. Droid-Xer

Droid-Xer Super Moderator
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +57
    Ya most apps are being optimized to work well with dual core devices and ICS. So anything with less than a 1ghz processor and 512mb of ram will struggle.

6. kookk

kookk Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Droid? Heck, my thunderbolt is starting to have hiccups.

Sent from my cyanobolt

7. cchhiipp

cchhiipp Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah, I was definitely feeling the lag. Freeze-ups, random reboots, general slowness. The weird part is that I hadn't really added many apps lately. Just using the same old ones as always. Just stopped running as well as it used to. Best I can figure is that the existing apps were updating to newer, more hardware-demanding versions.

Thankfully it was time for my new-every-two, and along came the Galaxy Nexus... :)

8. some1ls

some1ls New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Version:1.0 StartHTML:0000000188 EndHTML:0000005733 StartFragment:0000002383 EndFragment:0000005697 SourceURL:file://localhost/Users/stephenjacobson/Documents/droidforums%20data.docOriginally posted 12-16-11 HTC thunderbolt area,

Hello,
    I am in northwest ND no 4g. I have an unlimited plan. I have a droid 1. My phone’s speed has been getting worse since last February. I will go from 3g down to 1x and even no data service when my phone hasn't moved. I have even lost voice service. I am nine miles away from a tower with no obstructions and another 5 miles away. I used be able to call and surf in the basement. Now I rarely can.
    I have talked to vzw tech(less) support several times. Generally pull battery, check setting, factory reset and recently replace dud with another dud. No long term fixes. I have been told by one rep I am being throttled others no, and most don't know what it is. Level one is worthless. When I ask for tech support I want TECH SUPPORT not a customer service rep. Also why by a smartphone if I am not allowed to fully use its capabilities.

Now I have a "trouble ticket" and vzw told me it would be 3-5 days for resolution. That was a week ago and no update. Other people in the area have had this issue.
    Also both phones have been slow at loading apps. It even locks frequently.
    I am interested in rooting but have asurian(?) extended warranty till next June.

My phone also has had wifi issues. When I was 3 feet from a wireless router my phone did NOT see it. After cycling on/off severals times it worked. My signal aslo fluctuates.
    I don't want to upgrade and be stuck in a contract.

Is vzw killing my droid to get me to buy $$$$ a newer phone.

I use about 10 gb a month streaming tv and sirius radio.
    Why should I be punished for using the phone as designed...throttling.

Update

I talked again with vzw techs on 12-20-2011.
    They have no resolution to my problem at this time.
    The rep this time told me I was being “network optimized.”

I asked, “Why?”
    She told me, “So everyone can use and enjoy the net.”
    I told her, “I guess that statement means I am not part of ‘EVERYONE.’ I am not enjoying my service.”
    She had no truthful answer for that statement.

I did get a small victory though.
    I just got confirmation of my two-month data service credit (~$50) for time and service lost.

I still suffer frequent data speed disruptions.
    Can anyone help me?
    Thanks

Some1lLs

9. some1ls

some1ls New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    VZW sending another replacement

12-22-11

I talked with VZW today and was told there is no problem with their towers. They are trending “normally.”

Darren the tech said to turn on “DATA roaming.” I am not going to do this. I live and travel near the Canadian USA border and I will not pay roaming charges.:angry:

Darren had no options other than send me another certified broken replacement.
    I again asked if I was being throttled and was told no.:)
    I was told 10gb a month is the threshold for throttling last time it was 6gb.

I would like the techs to get on the same page and be consistent.:mad:

But what I really want is a functional phone.