1. You want that $100.00 in your pocket or an Amazon Fire TV don't you? Well here's the deal. With our new updated look we are in desperate need of an updated logo. The 'old' one has certainly served us well, but it's time. Find all the details here: bit.ly/1q0k6Wa
  2. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

[HACKS] OG Droid gets blue capacitive buttons, charing LED swap, and sound reactive LED!

Discussion in 'Steel Droid' started by chevycam94, Dec 9, 2011.

1. chevycam94

chevycam94 Steel Droid ROM Developer Developer

I have been tinkering with my PSP 1000 for about a week now, and decided to dive in and changing out that lame, white charging LED on my Droid, to a cool BLUE!

Took me about 15 minutes (was having trouble getting the new LED in place. There is literally no room for an LED, tweezers, and a soldering iron. lol)

I could put in any color LED I want in there. Some are brighter than others (blue is the brightest). I used 0603 SMD LED's, the exact same LED's that I use in my PSP and PS3 modding.

If your attempting this stuff on your own, I suggest NO MORE than a 15watt soldering iron. I still feel this might be a little on the dangerous side for some of these components, but I am very good at what I do, so Im a little more sure of myself than those just venturing into this.

================================================== ==================================================

I am offering this service to members of the community. However, to keep within the rules of the forum, I will ONLY accept correspondences from a Private Message. All dealings will only be dealt with in PM. I have not set a price yet.

================================================== ==================================================

Tools:
    T5 Torx precision screwdriver
    000 Phillips precision screwdriver
    Small precision flat head screwdriver (for opening the case parts)

4x 0603 SMD LED (any color will work)
    A LOT of patience, and damn good soldering skills

Here are some pics and videos of my capacitive buttons being swapped over to blue!
    Video link: Blue capacitive buttons in progress

View attachment 44204

Sound reactive LED in rear speaker

Tools:T5 Torx precision screwdriver

Materials:
    1x 10uF electrolytic capacitor
    1x 39ohm SMT resistor
    1x 47ohm SMT resistor
    1x 0603 SMD LED (any color will work)
    ~4 inches of 30 gauge wire (Kynar preferred, and maybe not even 4", probably less)

OK, now this was a fun one. I kept thinking to myself, how I would route the wires, how to best set it up, whether to make it direct contact or now, whether or not to use a low-pass filter, and I finally decided on this. It took quite a bit of work, despite the fact that is looks more than simple. My back actually hurts from bending over my workbench for about 7 hours today, almost straight. This is what 8 cans of pop, and 2 Monsters will do to me. --> :icon_eek: LOL

Here are some pics I took along the way!

Here is the diagram, for those of you wanting to do this yourselves.
    [​IMG]

This one shows where I notched a path for the wires and the LED.
    [​IMG]

This shows the LED in place, on its side, soldered up, before I hot glued it in place.
    [​IMG]

This one is from the under side of the speaker housing, showing where I routed the wires.
    [​IMG]

This is a partial progress shot, so you get an idea how small this components are.
    [​IMG]

And finally, and completed product! Tucked away nicely. Decided not to glue it in place, as Im not finished yet.
    [​IMG]

This is a video of my small test to see how well sound reactive LEDs will work with the Droids hardware.
    Video link: Sound reactive LED test

This is a video of the final product, before it was put back together. I still want to add a second LED, as I think it doesnt light up bright enough as it is.
    Video link: Blue sound reactive rear speaker (single LED finished, second LED in progress)

Tools:
    T5 Torx precision screwdriver

Materials:
    1x 0603 SMD LED (any color will work)

Here are my pics of the charging LED swap!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Last edited: Dec 27, 2011
  2. DF Smod

DF Smod New Member

That's awesome, in electronics LED's can make or break something :)
  3. dmacleo

dmacleo Moderator/RS Premium Member

:)
    so can soldering irons
    :)
    looks nice.
  4. DF Smod

DF Smod New Member

So true :crazy:
  5. QUAGMIRE

QUAGMIRE New Member

my psp phat aka 1001 has 6 just over buttons but has built in camera mod and umd removed
    not bad my psp 2001 aka slim has 36 leads and 28 of which are sound activated
    my psp 3001 aka slim also but non permanent hack i didnt do any lights to it
    and my go is crap

can't say I would do my android but not bad.

soldering irons are fine its the tool using them that messes things up. common sense says short periods of heat and you will be fine. with good flux you only need to heat the addition not really the board.
    Last edited: Dec 9, 2011
  6. chevycam94

You definitely know what your talking about. I have my PSP modded, and Im working on a dual, internal memory stick mod. Not the CR 5200, or anything like that, but an actual, switchable (live) mod, between a removable stick, and a permanent "Pandora" stick. All without being in the UMD area. I have other plans for that space....
  7. QUAGMIRE

QUAGMIRE New Member

well lord nikon at at acid mods had some very informative tutorials my slim is dual switched depending on color of flash I want. 1 switch wlan off position turns blue on hold button turns green on 2x lm386 14 of each color triggers joypad menu bar and buttons don't flash but are red. I thought about the added memory mod but actually went usb loading so its limitless 16 gigs is more then enough travel memory for me. my next mod is gonna be the speakers mod louder and add bass.

also phat and slim 2001 both in crystal clear casings
  8. raidzero

raidzero n00b. Theme Developer Premium Member Developer

Sweet! Though I chose to simply cover mine up... ;)
  9. gflam

gflam Developer Theme Developer Developer

Weren't you who first got the leds working while in your recovery all that only to cover the led :) ha

Sent from my evo 3d at 1.8ghz
  10. chevycam94

Whats your username at AM? (if your a member there) Over at AM, Im TheArkMan2009. Also, I was the first person to have a fully functional home row LED mod.

I have decided to work harder on the Droid 1, and see what else I can add to it, as far as hardware mods go.

Another question I have for you. I cant seem to get the LM386 setup to function correctly. I have it build per the diagram, and the LED is freaking bright, which is fine, but it doesnt pulse to the music, like the direct contact LED's do. In fact, when a low frequency beat happens, the direct-contact LED's get BRIGHTER (which is whats supposed to happen), and the LM386-driven LED's get DIMMER (NOT whats supposed to happen. 30K and 191K resistors, speaker + and - hookups, +5v for the IC, and hold switch activated (yes, I cut the trace. Hold switch does make it work like designed). I just dont understand why the LM386 is functioning backwards. lol
  11. QUAGMIRE

QUAGMIRE New Member

I dont got an account at acid mods i also follow llama

I would have to go thru mine but if gets dimmer sounds like input and output is backwards i do got one built as example

View attachment 43432 View attachment 43433 View attachment 43434

pm me on talk if you want larger and better pics

the hardest time I had was placement of the lm386 then making sure nothing touches fyi heat wrap is your friend
    Last edited: Dec 10, 2011
  12. chevycam94

Yeah, I have added more in the OP. CHECK IT OUT! dancedroid
  13. Ozzie

Ozzie New Member

That's purdy...I like blue too! ;)
  14. chevycam94

Now updated with SOUND REACTIVE LED! Still a work in progress, this could end up being a pretty sweet phone!
  15. Cor3yS

Cor3yS New Member

Has anyone's front led gone out? or is it a frequent rom changing problem and can I flash something to fix it

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums
  16. chevycam94

Are you taking about the notification LED? Its actually an RGB LED. It might have just burnt out, frequent ROM flashing wont kill your LEDs. Over use, hot conditions, power surges, and/or other LED hacks (including trying to display colors it cant handle, or make the LED too hot), can lead to a dead LED. Sure-fire way to know if your LED is busted, drain your battery till it dies, then plug it in, and wait until the phone is booted, and it SHOULD show red (least frequently used color). If it shows, try CMParts, and change the color settings for it, and see what others it can/cant display.
  17. Sixonefour

Sixonefour New Member

Think you can fix my power button fairly cheap, ChevyCam94? Thankful your ROM included the volume rocker wake option. I use a 3rd party app to reboot. Pain in the rear. I'm eligible for my upgrade at full discount in April. Not sure its worth fixing.
  18. FoxKat

FoxKat Super Moderator Staff Member Premium Member

Hey ChevyCam94, I have an OG that has two backlights for the capacitive buttons crapped out (the middle two). I would DIE for all 4 to be Blue instead. What's the process to get it to you, get it done, pay, the works?!

Phil
    Take it to PM if you wish.
  19. chevycam94

PM'd. I can help you out. :)
Search tags for this page
capacitive buttons
change capacitive button color galaxy s4
droid x permanent capacitive keys
droidmod brightness.ak
edit capacitive keys sound android
evo 3d hacks hardware mod