OG Droid Forum is slowly fading..

Discussion in 'Android Roms' started by Chizzele, Oct 6, 2011.

1. Chizzele

Chizzele Team Sourcery Developer

Ratings:
    +17
    I must say that the whole section dedicated to the OG Droid is seeing less and less activity every day... It is the natural course of technology although the Original Droid started a revolution in the smart phone world and created the best online community i have ever been a part of..

With all the excitement about new phones that are about to pop i must say that in 18 years of owning cell phones the Motorola Droid has the been the best. I bought it close to release and i still have the very first one, no issues or any malfunctions ever. It is still serving me well and it will be the first cell phone i would actually keep after buying a new one. I think you can't ask for a better back up device.

Just my two cents.. dancedroid

2. jengas kahn

jengas kahn Member

Ratings:
    +1
    it's strange to have this kind of feeling over a cell phone.

a cell phone of all things!

but i must admit, i know exactly how you feel.

3. jstafford1

jstafford1 DF Super Moderator Rescue Squad

Ratings:
    +213
    It is true, can't stop progress. I think the D1 will have a place in most our hearts. I got mine a week after launch and had it until the D3 dropped as the D2 just wasn't a real upgrade over a rooted D1. I had to get a refurb because I smashed the screen, but that one is still rockin as my daughters game pad. It'll be around for a while, until we buy her a Nintendo DS or something else, but then it will be my backup. It was my first smartphone and got me into hacking and modding and introduced me to this great community which I have watched grow at an amazing rate these past 2 yrs.
    It may fade, but it wont die for a long time...

LLR00717

4. mr_silent

mr_silent Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Its definitely hard to explain. Especially for those of us who got started in hardware modding by it. I got mine about a year ago. Flash Player is what drove me to root and install custom recoveries for unofficial updates.
    I've since moved on to the Atrix, and I must say, its nothing compared to what my OG was. I don't think any device ever will be. It just can't be killed by conventional weapons.

Still looking for a better reason to post from anything other than the OG (NPrime?)

5. Chizzele

Ratings:
    +17
    Wow... glad to see i'm not alone... still waiting for an adequate phone to move on to... I have a strong feeling the prime will be but who knows..

6. jcardona1

jcardona1 Senior Member

Ratings:
    +40
    Same here. I've had my OG Droid since November 2009. Barely hanging in there. Reality is this phone is way too underpowered for today's world. It's the phone that got me hooked on Android, and will be a classic forever.

7. Chizzele

Ratings:
    +17
    Ever since i rooted and flashed a stable Froyo rom i don't have any performance issues but could definitely use more juice under the hood..

8. tuffD1

tuffD1 Member

Ratings:
    +3
    I still have the same D¹ since Feb-'10. I will still keep it when I upgrade in a couple weeks. If I decide to upgrade ;)

Sent from my Droid¹

9. pdc419

pdc419 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I'm right there with you Guy's. Since I've rooted this bad boy its opened me up to a whole new world. Thank you to all the devs who made all this possible, and it is sad to see the OG forums so quiet, but I am looking forward to the prime.

Sent from my DROID using DroidForums

10. tuffD1

tuffD1 Member

Ratings:
    +3
    Sometimes I check the forums for something new/cool (OTA-update). Yet nothing interesting. Its like opening the fridge all the time for something delicious to magically appear.

Sent from my Droid¹

11. 666ogre666

666ogre666 Member

Ratings:
    +1
    I know what you guys mean, I almost feel like I would be betraying my phone by getting a new one. The glory years are over but I can still remember what it was like and I don't think any phone will ever have roms like the droid. It was the phone that made android what it is and the best phone for a long time. I love my droid and ill always have it, SS5.5 has put new life in it but its only a matter of time before its over. I don't know what it is but I've never had this sort of attachment to a piece of tech. Most of the time I can't wait to upgrade but there just something about my good ol' OG Droid and all the memories of the hundreds of roms I've flashed... long live the D1!

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums

12. rck76

rck76 DF Super Moderator Premium Member

Ratings:
    +38
    I'm with chevyno1 at least until January then not sure what I will do.

13. cyber3dx

cyber3dx Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Interesting thoughts. My D1 still sits on my work desk ready to go (even though I now use my D3). It's a special machine. The feeling is the same as when I had my first computer (sinclair and a breadboard machine), it was a revolutionary time.

I may need to build a glass case for the D1.

Sent from my DROID3 using DroidForums

14. rck76

rck76 DF Super Moderator Premium Member

Ratings:
    +38
    Bad news, just cracked my screen at work. Might either have toto get an early upgrade or have to replace the digitizer :(

15. BayouFlyFisher

BayouFlyFisher Rescue Squad Rescue Squad

Ratings:
    +17
    Got my Droid the week after release. It's been a terrific phone. It has taken all the abuse I could throw at it and never missed a beat. It's had more roms on it than most public toilet seats have had butts, but it just keeps on going. Great historic phone (to me anyway).

My wife has my Droid now with Chevy's SS4.96 on it. It is a rock solid stable phone still.