Officially Retired My GPS

griz8791

Reaction score
I've put my Garmin away. It seems redundant for driving since I already have the Droid in the car, though I suspect I'll still want the Garmin for hiking in the mountains where there's no cell service to keep the maps updated.

ETA absolutely does not work for me and I'm very surprised to learn it works for anyone else. I do well over half of my long-distance driving on 2-lane highways with a posted speed of 70 mph. Google's ETA on these trips is always way too late. At first I figured Google just doesn't know and doesn't care what the actual speed limit is in my rural state, but their ETAs are so far out of whack they have to be assuming I am going even slower than 55. All I can do is ignore their ETA and calculate my own.

griz8791

Reaction score
Has anyone traveled outside of the service area using google nav?
Im wondering if it will stop working without cell service to load the maps

I have done this a couple times, though not for several weeks. When I ran out of cell service it simply showed me my position arrow in the middle of a blank white screen. Then when I drove into coverage I THINK it pulled up a map and adjusted my miles remaining. I may have had to reissue my destination.

Dexy

Reaction score
I plotted a trip from grand island, NE to San Angelo, TX on my Droid and on map quest. On Droid it takes about 16 hours and map quest about 13 hours. Is there anyway to adjust a course on Google maps?

unix.punkx

Silver Member
Reaction score
Pretty much as most people have posted here, was going to get the iPhone TomTom app and talked myself out of it.

Then decided to maybe get an actual TomTom, then I got the Droid and heard about the Google Navigation. Tried it, grabbed the official Car Dock, and havent looked back. :)

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
who else has retired their TomTom, Garmin, etc. since the Droid navigation feature is so cool and an award winner?
I've never used one. Always used to use Telenav on the BB. Aside from the horrible TTS I definitely prefer Google Nav.

ETA absolutely does not work for me and I'm very surprised to learn it works for anyone else. I do well over half of my long-distance driving on 2-lane highways with a posted speed of 70 mph. Google's ETA on these trips is always way too late.
I just assume they're based on 55mph (for interstates anyway) and use them as a worst-case-scenario. It would be nice it ETA was adjusted based on the roads you're on as well as your actual speed/progress. A distance to destination on the main screen would be nice as well (unless I'm just missing the obvious).

Last edited:

Jokool_7777

Reaction score
I may have to pull mine out of retirement. I rooted and put droidmod 1.1 on yesterday. My google maps keeps force closing on me so I'll be using the Garmin until I find out what the heck is going on with my google maps on droidmod 1.1

JESSLYMK

Reaction score
Is there a way to change the route it suggests? Thats my only issue with it. It decides what the best route is for you and well sometimes thats just not right! LOL

pudah

Reaction score
who else has retired their TomTom, Garmin, etc. since the Droid navigation feature is so cool and an award winner?
I've never used one. Always used to use Telenav on the BB. Aside from the horrible TTS I definitely prefer Google Nav.

ETA absolutely does not work for me and I'm very surprised to learn it works for anyone else. I do well over half of my long-distance driving on 2-lane highways with a posted speed of 70 mph. Google's ETA on these trips is always way too late.
I just assume they're based on 55mph (for interstates anyway) and use them as a worst-case-scenario. It would be nice it ETA was adjusted based on the roads you're on as well as your actual speed/progress. A distance to destination on the main screen would be nice as well (unless I'm just missing the obvious).

It does change the ETA, but not until you're pretty close. Even on short trips it has an ETA pretty far off of what it will be, but then when I get close and I am 30 min early it adjusts. Oddly, when I do a google maps direction search the ETA is usually spot on.

seang

Reaction score
with my parrot bluetooth audio, the nav talks over the speakers. the car dock makes it very nice.
now, all i do is plug it in to the power, dock it set it, and play the tunes, all from the droid.

Dexy

Reaction score
Is there a way to change the route it suggests? Thats my only issue with it. It decides what the best route is for you and well sometimes thats just not right! LOL

That's what I want!

rjsurfer

Reaction score
Easy to do.....Bring up the route on google maps and just move the cursor on the section of the route you want changed then right click it and drag the route to the new road you want, it will snap to the suggested route.

Then you can just email the new directions to yourself and pick up the email on the Droid and double click on the directions within the email and it will bring up mapping software and the turn by turn directions.

Ron W.

pudah

Reaction score
Easy to do.....Bring up the route on google maps and just move the cursor on the section of the route you want changed then right click it and drag the route to the new road you want, it will snap to the suggested route.

Then you can just email the new directions to yourself and pick up the email on the Droid and double click on the directions within the email and it will bring up mapping software and the turn by turn directions.

Ron W.

You do this all on the phone? How? I can see how you could create your own route/map online from a computer and then use my maps to pull it to the phone. However, when I open maps and directions on the phone there is no way to change the route. You can click waypoints to see them, but cant drag or long press to change. A long press at a new spot on the map will load that address information and you can nav there, but I don't see how to make it part of the route as a change or waypoint, etc.

rjsurfer

Reaction score
Sorry, I didn't understand your post, that was via the PC not directly on the Droid...

Ron W.

Meto

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy S4
I contacted Google concerning my house not showing up on the right street on the GPS. Not only did they respond within 30 minutes that they would look at it, they replied within 24 hours that I was right and they would fix the issue.

It was fixed within a few days... amazing :icon_ banana: