Officially Retired My GPS

DessoThumbs

Reaction score
who else has retired their TomTom, Garmin, etc. since the Droid navigation feature is so cool and an award winner?

Vulcan1600

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I was on the verge of getting a Tom Tom for Christmas, but then the Droid came out and I told my wife I no longer wanted that and requested something different for Christmas. I have no issues with my Google Maps at all and does exactly what I want it to do.

flyers1

Reaction score
My garmin is now retired. Still holding onto it in case my wife or parents need to use it but I no longer need it. I love google navigation and especially how it calculates the ETA correctly. I was amazed when taking my sister back to the airport and we got caught in a little traffic. I checked the ETA and it was spot on when we got there!

Jokool_7777

Reaction score
Mine is still in use but only because I just ordered the vehicle mount on Monday. Ive had my droid since day 1 and I'm just getting around to buying one.

When I do get it in the mail today, it will be officially retired. My Garmin Nuvi is begging for me to update the map. Im not payin 50+ bucks to update to a current map when the Droid's GPS will do that for free.

My sister wants a GPS for her birthday, hmmmmmmmmmm should I regift? lol.....Even if I was that low down to do it, I couldnt....she's the one that gave me the GPS to me to begin with. lol

nwskeptic

Reaction score
I've officially retired my Tom Tom - Droid is SO much better, no longer need to type in an address, I can speak the name of a business.

Jokool_7777

Reaction score
My garmin is now retired. Still holding onto it in case my wife or parents need to use it but I no longer need it. I love google navigation and especially how it calculates the ETA correctly. I was amazed when taking my sister back to the airport and we got caught in a little traffic. I checked the ETA and it was spot on when we got there!

Wow...I didnt know it would do that. My Garmin gives me an ETA but when I get stuck in Atlanta traffic, the ETA simply just keeps adding minutes to it. If google automatically calculates traffic into the ETA, thats even better. Thats reason enough to retire it.

cephas003

Reaction score
I just gave my Garmin to my mom because I stopped using it after getting my Droid. I noticed someobe said the eta is always accurate. On mine it tells me I'll arrive in say 23 minutes, but I would rather it say 11:29am for example. Is there an option for this? I know I could just simply do the math but it is one feature I miss about my Garmin.

svttech76

Reaction score
I am amazed that how good the google maps nav is. I have read on here that others have had issues with gps accuracy but mine seems to be really accurate.

I have it on a window mount and it has a clear view out the windshield so maybe that helps.

Either way I find it better than the VZnav I had on my old voyager

mwhartman

Super Moderator/RS
Premium Member
Reaction score
My RX 350 is built in so that must stay. I do, however, use the Droid in my Camry and frankly find it to be more accurate than the RX

Mike

svttech76

Reaction score
My RX 350 is built in so that must stay. I do, however, use the Droid in my Camry and frankly find it to be more accurate than the RX

Mike

Now that is impressive that it more accurate as a built in.

I am a tech for ford next time I have a customers car with a built in for a extended road test ( this happens sometimes with odd noise or drive ability problems) I will compare the nav in the droid to ford's OEM

wingdo

Reaction score
I was looking to get a Garmin after the holidays, but my Droid is almost all I could hope for. It has this annoying habit of always wanting to take the expressways as opposed to surface streets even when surface streets are faster, but other than that it is all one could want.

I also was looking at getting an XM / Sirius radio installed, but with Slacker, Pandora, Last.FM etc, I see no reason to pony up the $$ for a head unit. Now if only XM would put out an Android app.

I've used BBs for years and I still think they are better for corporate e-mail (see the known internal e-mail app issues threads), but the Droid is one wicked beast and I cannot imagine not having it.

Shadez

Super Mod/News Team
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.droidforums.net
Current Phone Model
HTC One M8
Twitter
@Shadez69
I am wondering, I have used my droid maps locally and whatnot, Im wondering if anyone has used the droid navigation for a good distance going somewhere they had no idea of where it was, and how well the droid performed.. with my old tomtom 1/2 the time it would take the longest way to get to a location, ignoring shortcuts.. I'd like to know if anyone tried going from somewhere they knew to bum**** middle of nowhere...

rjsurfer

Reaction score
I have had the Garmin 2610 for about 4 years now and the Droid is close to eliminating it.

The Garmin still has a few features that we don't have on the Droid'

Waterproof case, great for my motorcycle.
A screen that can be used in direct sunlight.
Droid can't set a Detour.
Better control of road preferences.
Mapsource is still a better way to prepare a route than Google Maps.
Maps are stored locally so it's much faster in updating screen and not impaired if there is a loss of phone reception.

After all is said and done, I wouldn't be too upset if I lost the Garmin, except for the motorcycle part.

Ron W.