Officially Empty-Nesters

DessoThumbs

Reaction score
My wife and I dropped our :heart:youngest daughter:heart: off at Elon University today. Our oldest daughter has begun her second year at Wake Forest.

We're now empty-nesters and are unsure of how things are going to be. It's a big ol' house for just us two to rattle around in.

For 19 years there's always been something or other going on around here and it's already quiet. Kinda sad, kinda nice.

DF Smod

Silver Member
Reaction score
I must say Congratulations, that is quite the accomplishment...I am sure you are proud, as you should be

Enjoy the silence while you can...they will be back :)

OP
DessoThumbs

DessoThumbs

Reaction score
I must say Congratulations, that is quite the accomplishment...I am sure you are proud, as you should be

Enjoy the silence while you can...they will be back :)

Thank you. My wife and I are very proud of our girls. I'm just glad they take after their mom! Our youngest daughter's boy friend went with us today, and he seems to be more down and out than we are. He picked at his lunch, and I've never seen him not eat before!

gadgetrants

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
We're at that point with our 12- and 8-year-olds where the nightly dinner-table discussion is really enjoyable (OK, mostly enjoyable). Already we're worrying that such a wonderful thing won't last.

Please share your coping strategies as you test them!

-Matt

SANhacker

Reaction score
I know the feeling. I just dropped of my only daughter at the University of Arizona last week. It was kind of sad.

Just make sure to keep in mind that your wife will likely change a bit. I've had two friends become empty nesters and divorced within a year. Might want to go on a trip or do something special.

No concerns here. I've been single for 12 years and it's nice to have someone to split all the costs with. Last week I went down to the court house and had my child support terminated. That made up for some of the sadness. :)

gadgetrants

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
No concerns here. I've been single for 12 years and it's nice to have someone to split all the costs with. Last week I went down to the court house and had my child support terminated. That made up for some of the sadness. :)
Congrats. I just finished telling my wife (21st anniversary last week) that it bugs me how her credit score is 40 points higher than mine (I don't let her have a credit card is why ;)) I joked that if we ever divorce she'll have to learn a thing or two about managing finances!

She might be going through "the change" a little early so hopefully by the time the baby is out of the nest (10 more years) she'll be sweet again...

-Matt