[ROM] [OFFICIAL THREAD] Steel Droid -5-28-2014 - Resurrecting Gingerbread!

Discussion in 'Steel Droid' started by chevycam94, Jan 12, 2012.

1. themib

themib Well-Known Member

i did use the tethering hack, works on stock, not on 5.6, not for me anyways

Sent from my XT862 using Tapatalk
  2. chevycam94

chevycam94 Steel Droid ROM Developer Developer

A lot of my links expired. I saved what I could. I will see what I can do.
  3. joeblow789

joeblow789 Member

4. chevycam94

Sorry its been so long since the last update, but I have been preoccupied with other projects, mostly TI-84+ CSE programming, and car work. But Im getting some things caught up, as promised. Sometime today, I will be releasing my v8.0 for the Galaxy Nexus (toro)! Sorry to bust any bubbles, but this release is based on JB 4.3, NOTKitKat. KitKat has a LOT of things that still need to be worked out before its worthy of what I consider to be a public release. So following my personal trend, I will only release what is known to be stable, and free of as many bugs as possible. I know my last update was back in May, and many of you probably thought I had left the scene. I did, kind of, but didnt want to leave people hanging with such good things on the horizon. With that, I will leave you to soak this in, and I will be working on updating the OP with new/fixed links, images, and the new v8.0 for the GNex (toro). Hope everyone had a happy Thanksgiving!
  5. chevycam94

Sorry for the disappearance guy. I got sick on my way back from Thanksgiving in Florida. Im still going to release a new build for the GNex, but there are two bugs I need to get worked out beforehand, that I just noticed. Big ones, too. All in good time guys.
  6. drzzz

drzzz New Member

Thank to chevycam94 for all the time and work you put into this! I am now successfully using this ROM, on an original, Motorola Droid 1, using the Steel Droid v.11.0 download link, and also flashed RaidZero 2.0.3 Recovery on it. Steel Droid is so much faster and responsive, with less lag and errors; than the CM7+ADWLauncher, which caused a lot of error messages and force closes. I'm a newbie to the root, rom, etc. stuff, but I'll try to post my experiences with the various ROMs and apk's I try out, to somewhat "give back" by sharing feedback.

The only problems I encountered with Steel Droid on the Droid 1 are:
    (1) Google Play had errors with downloading some apps (error 924), which first happened when trying to download Chrome Browser app. I researched the error message to possibly mean that the build.prop may need editing. I was nervous messing with the build.prop, so I flashed Gapps, and that fixed it. Now, I can download most apps again, without error messages. So, when I go to Google Play store and try to download apps like Chrome Browser, or ABC Watch app, I get a message that says this device is not compatible with this app. Not sure if I can get a work around for that. (Summary: Google Play download error, "fixed" with flashing Gapps.)
    (2) After boot up, and every few "Home" button pushes, the home screen takes quite a while to load up the apps. Not sure what I can do to make this load faster and more efficiently.

Aside from those issues, I am enjoying Steel Droid way more than the CM7 build that the CMInstaller put on my phone. Thanks again!

P.S. If you come up with updates, or more ROMs for it, I'll be happy to test those new ROMs out on my Droid 1 device, and give feedback, if it helps you. Cheers!
    Last edited: Dec 15, 2013
  7. chevycam94

Well, Im in the middle of working on my v12 D1 ROM. I might release some RC's, but the true final build will be a while. Im pulling in as much source as possible, and forking every repo I need, in case they get hosed by CM sometime down the road. Im really in need of getting my gerrit review up and running, which would make all this a LOT easier. If you have links to the most recent props for sholes (D1), latest radios, or anything else I might not be up-to-date on, please let me know. Once I have the gerrit up and running, contributers are welcome to help out with the code. :biggrin:
  8. sherri

sherri Member

I only stopped using my OG because the battery wouldn't last. Keep it in its desk cradle as an alarm clock with Wi-Fi...

Thinking of getting new battery and giving this to son, as the phone is incredible, and this ROM is amazing....

Sent from my XT912 using Tapatalk 2
  9. chevycam94

FINALLY! I have my gerrit up and running!

You can check it out here: steeldroid.goo.im

This is where you can checkout my work in progress. Im still adding projects to it, and so on, so it will take a while before its 100% synced with my GIT. This will make future work a LOT easier for me.
  10. chevycam94

11. drzzz

drzzz New Member

That updated D1 ROM looks great! If you're still using Android 2.3.7, do you think the kernel "Tiny Anastasia" for 2.3.7 Base ROM, would be a good one for it? I was just looking at that thread at XDA, and wondering. Just a heads up, in case you didn't read about it yet. Thanks again for all your hard work! Will donate as soon as some rebate cards come in the mail and I figure out how to transfer those to gifts.
  12. chevycam94

Actually, I hadnt heard about that kernel before you mentioned it. I have RZ's kernel integrated into my build at the moment, but I can look around, and try others. What Im thinking, is that I will release an RC for my D1 build, and let the public get a feel for how it goes. Its by no means finished, and its going to take a while, with college, work, family and other things going on around me.

If you want to check out my progress, or commits I am working on, you can go to
    Steel Droid Gerrit. Now, there is a catch with this gerrit. Its my own, personal server, sitting here in my living room at home. Its running off of a Toshiba NB505 Netbook. 1.66GHz CPU, 2GB RAM, 250GB HD, and a home 1MB/s connection. Not much, but it WORKS! The other catch is that in order to access the gerrit, I have to have my netbook up and running. I dont leave it on all the time. Usually between 7pm EST and 2am EST. Its up most nights, but not all. Its all I have to work with right now, as I cant find decent hosting anywhere else, and in my current setup, Im in complete control of all aspects of the machine.

ALSO, if anyone feels like contributing to my gerrit, and in turn, to my ROM, send me an email with your skills, and past projects you have done, so I can verify you know what your doing. In the end, the only person who will be able to make the final push to the main source, will be me. I will have to test everything, each commit, before it gets merged. Thats how I do quality control!
  13. chevycam94

To get things kicking off, here is a pre-release (current work snapshot) of my v12 D1 ROM! There is a LOT still to be worked on, and Im sure the changelog is nowhere NEAR complete. If you find any bugs, PLEASE REPORT THEM TO ME. Email is the best way to reach me. chevycam94@gmail.com

DOWNLOAD: Droid 1 - v12 pre01

OP has also been updated with a short, and Im sure incomplete, changelog.
    Last edited: Dec 30, 2013
  14. The Race To Die

The Race To Die Member

No Wi-Fi on pre release, runs really well though

Sent from my Moto X using Tapatalk
  15. chevycam94

Dually noted, thank you.
  16. chevycam94

DOWNLOAD: Droid 1 - v12 pre02

This one has the start of my imported KitKat theme. Its incomplete, but looking good so far. Launcher is being worked on right now...
  17. drzzz

drzzz New Member

I noticed your changelog for the Droid 1 says that the superuser is being buggy. In case this helps, I've been using SuperSU by chainfire, because I too have been having buggy issues with baked in Superuser on various Roms. The latest SuperSU v1.89 has just posted at it's XDA thread, link provided. Perhaps this will less buggy for you.
  18. chevycam94

Well, here is another build. Still a WIP. This does not have the new Superuser in it. That will be in the next build. Im still working on bugs, reducing system size, and optimizing the UI.

DOWNLOAD: Droid 1 - v12 pre06

Yes, I already know, popups have black text on a black background. Im undecided what direction to take my theme, but it WILL be fixed, dont worry.
  19. joeblow789

joeblow789 Member

20. chevycam94

I will definitly give that one a go as well. Its been bugging me for a while, and just want this one out of my hair.
Search tags for this page

droid 3 ics

droid 3 jelly bean
droid 5
droid bionic jelly bean rom

droid razr jelly bean rom

droid x jelly bean

droid x jelly bean rom
droid x rom

droid x roms

droid x roms 2012

jelly bean rom