Official STOCK 901 Update Thread (No Rooting Discussions)

Discussion in 'Motorola Droid Bionic' started by brunla, Dec 31, 2011.

1. aaf709

aaf709 Nice Guy Premium Member

Here's the steps I used:

1. Make sure the file is on the root of your SD card (not internal storage). That is SD-EXT
    2. Power phone down
    3. Reboot into stock recovery (adb reboot recovery) by holding Power and Volume Up/Down at the same time.
    4. When the robot appears, press both volume keys in at the same time.
    5. Select “apply update from sdcard” using the volume keys, then Power to initiate it.
    6. Using the Volume keys, choose the file that you downloaded above, press Power and let it load.
    7. When the install is done, press Power. It'll reboot, but it'll be longer than normal (a few minutes)

What you were missing was step #4, as mattyj24 and dpw2atox suggested.
    Last edited: Jan 2, 2012
  2. FrankieZee

FrankieZee New Member

Awesome! Got it now, thanks! Hopefully, it works as advertised!

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums
  3. FrankieZee

FrankieZee New Member

First full day with .901, and I have only dropped data once, right as I picked up the phone to post this. But it recovered quickly enough. That being said, I'm in a non 4G area. Still running 3G while at work, but have 4G at home.

4. debrad0307

debrad0307 New Member

hey guys... trying to do this update in stock recovery. getting an error

"assert failed: apply_patch_check ("/system/app/BooksPhone.apk", "f50a23588051f9e0d8c06f7411016f9c360e7a6". e085b2e8b03396bfa9f836a82f7e7b649cfed682")
    E: Error in tmp/sideload/package.zxip
    (Status7)
    Installation aborted.

copied the file directly into my SD card. Not sure what this means
    Any help would be appreciated..

Thank you much (In advanced).

EDIT: nevermind. i know what i did wrong. i froze some apps. restoring system now.. wish me luck .:fingers crossed:.

EDITx2: well i believe that i was able to update. now i am going to test this out. be back tomorrow for my verdict. thank you for linking this to everyone. keep up the good work!!!
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2012
  5. greenturtle36

greenturtle36 New Member

If I do this, will my phone data be wiped? Please let me know exactly what I need to back up.
  6. aaf709

Did you get the 5.5.893 OTA update? If so, it'll be exactly like that. No need to back up anything.

What happened to me, on both the OTA 893 and the manual 901, was that I had lost the BT setting in my car. It took a couple of minutes to reestablish it, but after that it works like it did before.

UPDATE: I see in your other post that you installed a leaked version of 5.5.893. The .901 update should be the same as that.
  7. dmdubois

dmdubois New Member

sd-ext

I'd like to apply this update, and have downloaded the file to my computer, but when I try to add it to my sd card, I don't see "SD-EXT" anywhere on the card. Can I drag and drop the file onto my SD card, or do I need specifically to put it on or in an SD-EXT folder?

Also (and I'm sorry if these are ridiculous questions), I want to put the whole .zip file on, yes? I don't need to extract or unzip the thing and apply only pieces of it, correct?

Thanks!
  8. deduct

deduct Well-Known Member

Try downloading es file explorer from market. Thats the file manager i have used to apply all of my leaked updates. It makes it a little easier to move files around. When you get it. Open downloads folder. Long press on file, select move to sd card- ext. You should be good to go. Just reboot into stock recovery, select the update you want to run.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC
  9. dmdubois

dmdubois New Member

Thanks so much!! Worked perfectly, and am running .901! Love this phone!!
  10. greenturtle36

greenturtle36 New Member

OK. I'm willing to wait until the official OTA update comes but I'm afraid that my phone won't take it, as it's still saying "your phone is up to date" etc.
  11. aaf709

When you check for updates, you are sending a ping to the carrier, who checks your current version with what you're scheduled to receive. OTA is RANDOM; so random that if you bought 2 Bionics the same day one could get the update days after the other. This means that your phone will be "up to date" until your phone is scheduled to get it, even though others have gotten it OTA.

In other words; if your phone is scheduled to receive the .901 update on 18th at 3:56AM, your phone will say that it's "Up To Date" until that time, even though others have gotten it since the 12th.

I know that deduct helped you, but the other method (I'm using a PC) is to make sure USB debugging is checked by going into Menu>Settings>Applications>Development. When you connect your phone to your computer you should see the option of Mass USB Storage. Use that and you should get two drives come up. One is MOT (internal) and the Removable Disc is your external (aka SD-EXT). SD-EXT is where the update file would go and it would be put in the main area, no folder. And no, you don't have toe extract anything; the phone will do that.

BTW, if you do connect your phone to your computer this way, be sure to eject BOTH drives when you're done.
  12. dmdubois

dmdubois New Member

Thanks for this. The advice and instruction provided on this site is just great -- you all make owning this phone a lot of fun!

One question: Now that I'm running .901, is it OK to remove the .zip from the SD card?
  13. FrankieZee

FrankieZee New Member

Another question: if we installed this leaked update instead of waiting for the official Verizon update, have we been taken off the stock update path?

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk
  14. Tonik

Tonik Member

Nobody knows for sure except Moto and possibly VZ. But Moto for sure released it to some people over the air, so my OPINION is they darn well better support it and they will. If not, no biggie there is P3's awesome restore system as a backup.
  15. Tonik

Tonik Member

Yes you can remove it.
  16. don_droid

don_droid New Member

[HR][/HR]Many people have commented on the data problems and disccussed on how it is VZW faults and that 901 might not help. 901 contains three updates that might help with this issues on VZW network.
    1. Patch for Alcatel-Lucent LTE infrastructure R9 support
    2. Dual IMSI support
    3. Excessive LTE handover attempts (SIB8 messaging processing)
    The IMSI and the R9 support sounds like some they might help fix some of the issues that was describe from VZW authentication issues. Anyone know for sure?
  17. bionic805er

bionic805er New Member

Yea same here how do you get that ota update 9.01 I believe or when are we all gonna have it

Sent from my DROID BIONIC
  18. jkliving92

jkliving92 New Member

You can download it on one of the pages at the beginning of the thread.

19. hts4215

hts4215 New Member

After the 901 upgrade I started to get more data drops than before, but I suspect part of it was another 4g outage, but who knows. In my house I typically can get 1 to 4 bars of 4g signal, depending on where I am in the house. Before the upgrade there were only 1 or 2 areas in the house where I experienced data drops consistently. After, it was more often than not and when it did come back it was typically 3G. Tried taking battery and sim card out, but did not help.

Yesterday afternoon I decided to try a factory reset to see if it would help. Aside from wasting 2 hours getting everything setup again, it seems better for now. I'll keep monitoring to see what happens and let you guys know.

20. bassman1547

bassman1547 New Member

I installed 901 by downloading and then into recovery, from where I installed it..no problems. I was already running the leaked 893..
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2012
Search tags for this page

download froyo stock roms alcatel 903 zip

root bionic 903