Official Steam App for Android Released on the Android Market

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
official_steam_app_for_android.jpg

Not long ago Valve launched a third party Android app for their Steam service. Now, the gaming company has made it official and put a new Steam app for Android on the Android Market. The app has some pretty great features. Of course you can look at the latest great deals on new games, but you can also browse profiles and community groups and check out some of the latest gaming news The best part has to be the new built-in chat feature, which they didn't have before. Other than some of their DRM issues, Steam is a pretty great service for gamers on the PC. It will be interesting to see how this app evolves.

Update: Sorry we didn't point out that this was an open beta and not a final version guys. The original source of the story didn't make that too clear, and neither did the Valve Section in the Android Market!

Source: Phandroid and The Android Market - Steam App

Last edited:

gadgetrants

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Yikes..."limited beta." After installing and logging in, you basically get a "Thanks. Don't call us, we'll call you." :(

-Matt

CmdBash

Reaction score
Chilllllllllllll Guys.

When you install the APP and login to the client you are signing up for the Beta.

Kick back relax and wait a week.

Also OP what DRM issues?

Last edited:

gadgetrants

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Chilllllllllllll Guys.

When you install the APP and loin to the client you are signing up for the Beta.

Kick back relax and wait a week.

Also OP what DRM issues?
You might save the "chill" for the Android Market -- did you check out the reviews for the app? Ouch.

One of the reviews (probably incorrectly) implied that if you sign up for (activate) the beta in the program settings (on the PC) that should get you "in". I tried and failed.

-Matt

CmdBash

Reaction score
You might save the "chill" for the Android Market -- did you check out the reviews for the app? Ouch.

One of the reviews (probably incorrectly) implied that if you sign up for (activate) the beta in the program settings (on the PC) that should get you "in". I tried and failed.

-Matt

I don't get why anyone is reviewing it.
No one has access for it except Valve.

I for one feel that this isn't a bad approach to getting beta test applications. Having people just sign up for the beta without knowing what their user base hardware is probably difficult.
However clearer information as to this being a beta would have been a good idea. Still anyone reviewing it with a 1 star is just looking to get marked as spam.

gadgetrants

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
I agree that reviewing something you don't own is pretty dumb. But I also understand the frustration, e.g.,

Morgan on January 26, 2012 (Version 1.0)Limited Beta

This is a limited beta offering from Valve. Too bad their website, app description, nor the login screen of the app itself bothers to mention this. Only once you've attempted to login (after obtaining and entering a verification code) that you're not cool enough to use the app. This is a complete failure of a product launch. I'm giving this app 1 star since I was denied functionality of the application and it was _NOT_ clear that this would be the case. Valve needs to get their act together.
You're clearly a little more patient, mature, and understanding than the average reviewer!

-Matt

Anomander

Reaction score
I got this app finally installed and so far so good. In short I like the convenience of having this on my phone when I am out and about since there are times where I will forget to buy a game on sale at home and can not remember my password while at work (auto login is to nice at times) and will miss the game sale. I have yet to buy a game on it to see if it will have the PC auto download since Steam is always running. Will have to try that when I find a game that I have been wanting.