Official Shots Of Ice Cream Sandwich 4.0

jaycemiskel

Reaction score
My guess is that they will. They'll probably either flip to the new orientation at the same spot they're already in or just go to the bottom like on Honeycomb.

Xplorer4x4

Reaction score
The benefits of having them on the screen is that the entire front or face of the phone can be almost all screen.
So, what is the benefit of such a move?
Quite simply, you will be able to have a larger screen without it necessarily being a larger phone. No longer will you need to have the addition of an inch or so for the hard keys. An inch doesn't sound like much, but you need to think of it in proportion to the size of the phone.
In reality, dropping that little inch means dropping what could be up to 20% of additional phone size if there were still hard keys.
There's a demand for larger screens, but also a demand that one can put their phone in their pocket. This is how both demands can be met.
Size matters and if the ladies say that's not true, they're saying it in order to not hurt someone's feelings.
Also the reality is this will in fact result in one less thing to break, as there are far more issues reported with the hard keys dying, than the screen completely failing.
This is why there's a bunch of apps out to mimic the hard keys as many people were SOL since the keys had failed and the warranty had expired.

walkin the walk while tappin the talk
danceswithbongs
Soft keys do not take an inch of space. Look at the Droid 3. The soft keys take up an absolute minimal amount of screen, and the slight amount of screen reality gained by moving the soft keys to on screen keys, means that OEMs have to keep this factor in mind when designing the screens resolution. So now do when we get a device that claims to be HD(Nexus Prime for example according the "specs" we have a screen thats HD based on the entire screen or minus the area for soft keys? Some of that resolution is now wasted on the soft keys.

I am suffering from a bit of writers block,if you will, and unable to quite put in to words my line of thinking. I hope you will decipher my point here.

danceswithbongs

Reaction score
Soft keys do not take an inch of space. Look at the Droid 3. The soft keys take up an absolute minimal amount of screen, and the slight amount of screen reality gained by moving the soft keys to on screen keys, means that OEMs have to keep this factor in mind when designing the screens resolution. So now do when we get a device that claims to be HD(Nexus Prime for example according the "specs" we have a screen thats HD based on the entire screen or minus the area for soft keys? Some of that resolution is now wasted on the soft keys.

I am suffering from a bit of writers block,if you will, and unable to quite put in to words my line of thinking. I hope you will decipher my point here.

I think that when I use "soft keys" I may be using the incorrect term, as I thought that meant on screen. Wait, now I am more confused as I just was rereading above.
I broke the Enigma Code, but your post is pretty tough to crack. Partially because you say that the soft keys barely take up that much screen, but in the same sentence you also say if they move them to on screen keys. How do you move soft keys on screen to on screen keys? Also, every phone has slight differences in amount of space on the phone's face regarding what I thought were called soft keys. Some our without question at least an inch.
This reminds me of when I was air dropped into Papua New Guinea; I didn't know the native tongue.

danceswithbongs

prime

Kernel Developer
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Website
github.com
I think that when I use "soft keys" I may be using the incorrect term, as I thought that meant on screen. Wait, now I am more confused as I just was rereading above.
I broke the Enigma Code, but your post is pretty tough to crack. Partially because you say that the soft keys barely take up that much screen, but in the same sentence you also say if they move them to on screen keys. How do you move soft keys on screen to on screen keys? Also, every phone has slight differences in amount of space on the phone's face regarding what I thought were called soft keys. Some our without question at least an inch.
This reminds me of when I was air dropped into Papua New Guinea; I didn't know the native tongue.

danceswithbongs

Soft keys in this reference meaning capacitive physical buttons.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Malvado

DF News Team/Mod
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
One great addition that I hope is coming: option for the notification tab to show only when I touch the top of the screen or slide downward. Aesthetics is king. Also, being able to turn off the stock unlock screen.

Looks ok, but nothing I see that just routs GB.

There are widgets in the market that allow you to turn on the lock screen.

Sent from my Droid 3 directly to YOU!

droid2drummer

Silver Member
Reaction score
My is set to awake upon removal from my clip...
Edit; Mine..lol
Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums

Darksthour

Reaction score
I want to say that I think everything people are complaining about now will in time will be kept quiet after a few weeks of the nexus out. I think that it's really not a big deal at all if there is hard or soft keys. They are still a place to press to get the phone to do what you want. And you will all get used to it. I feel it's the same argument between a physical keyboard and a touch. People prefer different things and phone manufacturers will probably continue to make both. Just because the nexus has it doesn't mean that every phone that ever comes out will now have soft keys on it. They have to do something for phones out already with the keys that don't need it. Google I don't think is that stupid. Second point I want to make is that these are all leaks. I personally don't believe too much into a screenshot with tuna as the model number but then again I don't know and probably won't know until they release it. Plus I feel that with ICS getting updates almost every day certain things are going to change. Who know if that's the final color for it or if its even going to look like honeycomb at all. Every release of android has looked completely different. My personal thought is that all they are really doing is just integrating some features people and Google liked from Honeycomb and putting it in ICS to keep the OS new. I don't think that Google is just making a version to run on both. It seems crazy to me that they would be able make one work for both. They are two completly different devices. It's just an update and a huge overhaul to android. Change can be good people. Just wait till the phone comes out and see what happens.