[Official] Regarding Upcoming OTA

danielkr

Reaction score
Word from another forum is that bootloader is still 30.04.

I'm going to try p3droid's update from leaked GB to root .596 GB and let you all know how it goes. I'm also going to try the SBF back to FroYo and take the OTA release and then try to restore back and let you know the results on that also.

Daniel

Sorry I meant Do. Not try. ;)

OK, deodexed-596 installed over .591 liberty 0.5 worked but launcher settings all gone and everything seems reset except for my apps are still installed, my wallpaper is the same, and I still have that cool CRT-out animation. The liberty startup graphics are still there. Also that first boot took forever. And it said no service available. I'm going to reboot into recovery and try to do a data restore.

Data restore did nothing to restore my settings... boot still took a while. Baseband is .12P as it was before. Just so I feel comfy I'm doing a full restore. Service works just fine btw.

Full restore brought me back to where I was before with all my Gibby goodness. Time to SBF to FroYo and take the OTA.

OK I just did the SBF and on the first reboot I get the Motorola logo but instead of the Droid X boot animation I still have the Liberty one? Once it comes up I'm going to go into recovery and wipe/reset.

Its been about 6 minutes and that Liberty logo is still just a'spinnin' round. Time to pull battery and recovery/reset. Formatting cache for good measure.

Droid X boot animation is back. Keeping crossed fingers...

Welcome to DROIDX I'm going to activate but skip all the account setup stuff and just go for the OTA update.

Well! Baseband .07P, version 2.3.340, But a System Updates check says "Your device is up to date!No update is necessary at this time." What now? I'm going to connect to WiFi and see what happens. Nope... still no update available. Are they rolling this OTA update out on a geographic basis? Time to root and restore.

Guess its not going to be that easy. Love to learn though. SBF, then root, then get to .588 and on to liberty 0.5 on .591 from there and THEN restore.

Last edited:

modisch

Reaction score
Daniel, you are a brave and determined soul. Thanks for the report.

-m

{ DroidX «» Liberty 2.0.1 «» TapaTalk }

jrob09BHS

Reaction score
Used the black hat install zip file update to the official gingerbread (.596) and I have root. I installed it directly over 591 running liberty v0.5 without wiping and all is running smooth.

k1ng617

Reaction score
I was on Liberty 2.0 and restored to a .340 Blur backup and flashed the 2 stage zip and it's running smoothly. I much prefer my liberty so I guess I'll hold out for a 596 rom.

kernelhappy

Reaction score
I don't even care about the warranty. Even if the screen goes dead I can still SBF back and there will be no trace of liberty since it is a solid state storage.

We don't cost them more using more data. They massively overcharge for data. They just don't like the amount of bandwidth we use up. If everyone paid for the lousy tethering service they would still have the same issue. What we pay for data goes way beyond what it costs them to give us the data service.

Good luck completely removing all traces of a custom ROM without a screen, but as long as you can demonstrate it's their hardware's fault and not your flashed third party ROM, then yes they need to step up and honor the warranty.

As far as tethering goes; I'm not saying that $30/mo is not a fair price for phone and tethering data, what I'm saying is that it's not Verizon's price for phone and tethering. If you're saying it's ok to root tether because you're paying them enough, then you're no better than Verizon saying they need more money for it since you both have different valuations on the product.

They don't like the amount of bandwidth we use tethering because it is more than they budget per user for phone data. As such to maintain the baseline level of services that they sell and charge a premium for, they would need to increase tower densities and use lower oversubscription models, so it's not without cost to them.

Just because you think it's worth 2cents and Verizon thinks it's worth 4cents does mean it's not stealing if you drop 2cents in the cup and take it anyway.

berto1014

Reaction score
I think its worth 0 cents. And since I can take it, I do. You obviously do no realize that they make over 1000% profit on our contracts.

kernelhappy

Reaction score
I think its worth 0 cents. And since I can take it, I do. You obviously do no realize that they make over 1000% profit on our contracts.

You seem to be missing what I'm saying, mainly because I think you don't want to admit there's truth in it.

Second, whether they make 10%, 100%, 1000%, it doesn't mean it's not stealing. If you don't like their prices then go to another carrier, there are plenty of other choices for cheaper data, why are you not using them? Is it because you like the locked boot loader on the DX?

"And since I can take it, I do."

And this is the reason why it's a uphill battle with Verizon about unlocking bootloaders which was my point from the start. If you're going to be a thief, STFU about it and stop drawing attention to it because it's just making it harder for the rest of us to be able to use our phones as we see fit.

CD95YJ

Reaction score
What most everyone is missing is that almost every major carrier is looking at stopping free tethering. I see all the "I'm going to go to sprint" posts, but sprint is locking down on free tethering right along with at&t and vzw.

Your phone is like an all you can eat buffet, even though you paid your $10 for all you can eat, it doesn't mean you can bring your friends along to eat off of your plate. The major carriers for whatever reason see sharing their signal outside of the devise you purchased the same way.
The other point I want to bring up is I see so many of the "I bought the phone and can use it how I see fit". While the phone is yours, the signal to your phone is not.

Now I have been known to tether in a jam, so I'm no better or worse than anyone, I'm just pointing out observations.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums

falseprofits

Reaction score
This whole Wireless Tether debate is stupid.

1. You bought the phone. And it is therefore my belief that you can do what you want with the hardware / software on that phone. For example: Root it, overclock it, modify it, change it, beat the crap out of it - that is your choice. But the fact is is that this is a product offered by Verizon Wireless, and if their terms say you void your warranty if you do any of that, that is the way it is. That is how a business works. They aren't going to warranty something that you beat the crap out of, willingly modified, etc... When I root my phone and do anything with it, I accept that my phone is now 100% my responsibility to make sure that there is nothing wrong with it. I mean hardware defects happen, yes, but to me the sacrifice of my phones warranty is worth the modding and the overclocking. If you REALLY ABSOLUTELY have to have that warranty than don't touch your phone.

2. You purchased the service and agreed to Verizon's terms of service - whether you liked it or not. And by agreeing to those terms of service, you subjected yourself to them and basically agreed that the service plan was for your phone. If you don't agree with it, don't sign it and don't do it. If you need tether, stop being such a cheap skate and purchase it. I don't care how much they "overcharge". That's not the point. The point is that by doing it, you're violating their terms of service. Voiding a warranty and violating terms of service are two different things.

I don't agree with rooted / free wireless tethering, and I suppose it's because I'm a business owner, and because I know that Verizon is just a step away from doing the whole AT&T data limit plans. I don't use much data - I try to stay on wireless if it's close to me (at work, at home, at the coffee shop, downloading ROMs, whatever).

I would suggest the people who think the days of free / rooted tethering are still around get a grip and accept that YOU HAVE TO PAY FOR THINGS.

UltraDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 3, straight stock
+3 - falseprofits hit the nail on the head - turn out the lights, the party's over. Get used to the idea of paying for what you use. It's the only fair way to operate.

-Mike

ldopa

Silver Member
Reaction score
And for this Community to be taken seriously!

From my Liberated DROID2 at 1.25ghz

joeshell20

Reaction score
+4 falseprofits! My only issue is, that I live in a crappy area where all I have is 3g from VZW. I can't get dsl, cable or dialup. I use lots of data just from my phone, because it is the only connection I have to the outside world. I checked my usage for this last month and it showed that I used 6gb. It is my understanding that the people that use tethering for free will use way much more than that. I read a guy boasting that he used 120gb in a two week period! Jeez!

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums

ldopa

Silver Member
Reaction score
I probably use a gig or two a day just through netflix and i dont tether. I'm on about 25-30 gb each month. Gotta love unlimited data

From my Liberated DROID2 at 1.25ghz