[Official] Regarding Upcoming OTA

Koveleski

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.kovdev.com
Just for a heads up. VZW is going to begin pushing out the official Gingerbread update for the DX.

It's not known if the OTA will be rootable. Chances are that eventually a method will be found, but it's also possible it could take a long time.

If your phone is prompted to update (if on .340) and if you want to remain on the safe side, it's advised that you decline.

Stay tuned for more updates.

nerdslogic

Silver Member
Reaction score
There are tons of threads about this "upcomming update". No doubt it is going to happen but I am find myself timid to do it as I would prefer root. So....I for one will be waiting to get root established before I accept OTA.

falseprofits

Reaction score
There are tons of threads about this "upcomming update". No doubt it is going to happen but I am find myself timid to do it as I would prefer root. So....I for one will be waiting to get root established before I accept OTA.

I'll also be waiting till there is root. There is no way I'll be going back to unrooted ROM... or even considering it.

Thanks for the update!

DroidXDoes4G

Reaction score
I don't see myself every taking the update.

Since it isn't rooted yet, there isn't much of an update to anything, (by that I mean its a VERY minor update.) and it would suck to have to reROM over again.

n4dog

Reaction score
I think I will wait. I just rooted and do not want to go back

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums

CD95YJ

Reaction score
Does Liberty not block OTA updates?

Any rom will block the OTA, you have to be on stock 2.3.340 to get it.

I'm not one to spread rumor, but there has been a lot of speculation that VZW is going to use this update to track root users by monitoring who does and does not accept the update. If this is true my guess is that they plan do doing more than just tracking root users as rooting isn't illegal, but plan on watching data usage of those who don't take the update. Again just rumor and speculation right now.

Trav06

Reaction score
I would think they have plenty of other ways of seeing who is a root user.

berto1014

Reaction score
Verizon can kiss my @$$. I OWN my device, so I can legally modify it in any way I want. I also pay for UNLIMITED DATA, so I should be able to use that data however I want, because I paid for it. There is no little rule that says I can't use more than so many megabytes per hour. I pay them for the SERVICE, I think they should just back off.

ldopa

Silver Member
Reaction score
Until I see some actual evidence of this and not just here say, ill chalk it up to paranoia

From my Liberated DROID2 at 1.25ghz

kernelhappy

Reaction score
Verizon can kiss my @$$. I OWN my device, so I can legally modify it in any way I want. I also pay for UNLIMITED DATA, so I should be able to use that data however I want, because I paid for it. There is no little rule that says I can't use more than so many megabytes per hour. I pay them for the SERVICE, I think they should just back off.

No, you pay for "Feature Phones, 3G & 4G Smartphones" Unlimited Data. They are selling you a service priced upon the average usage for a person using one of the devices in the plan description. Smartphones in general use less data/network utilization because they stream lower bitrate video, music, many larger sites today recognize the device from the HTTP request and serve the mobile site. I travel extensively and use my DX tons, I have never come close to using the amount of data from the phone in a month that I do in a couple weeks when I have to tether for work (yes I pay the $20 when I know I'm going to need the service).

I can't argue that Verizon charges a premium for their services but you have other choices, just because they charge more than other carriers for smartphone data doesn't you're paying for a different service.

This whole "OMG I'M ENTITLED" is a BS rationalization. I don't give a crap that some call it "stealing," what annoys me is the a) obvious self inflicted delusion that people want to believe that unlimited data for a phone means unlimited data for whatever they want, b) that it's giving Verizon additional rationalizations for limiting our abilities to mod our phones (the "OMG see they're "stealing services" we can't let them root).

If you're going to lie to yourself that you're entitled to tether do the community a favor and keep it to yourself.

Edit: Although I do agree that you own your device and should be allowed to do whatever you want to it and I think it's a reasonable request as long as we don't cost the carriers additional money to support us (in other words, hardware warranty should remain intact but don't expect them to support the comprehensive warranty if you're modded).

Last edited:

berto1014

Reaction score

No, you pay for "Feature Phones, 3G & 4G Smartphones" Unlimited Data. They are selling you a service priced upon the average usage for a person using one of the devices in the plan description. Smartphones in general use less data/network utilization because they stream lower bitrate video, music, many larger sites today recognize the device from the HTTP request and serve the mobile site. I travel extensively and use my DX tons, I have never come close to using the amount of data from the phone in a month that I do in a couple weeks when I have to tether for work (yes I pay the $20 when I know I'm going to need the service).

I can't argue that Verizon charges a premium for their services but you have other choices, just because they charge more than other carriers for smartphone data doesn't you're paying for a different service.

This whole "OMG I'M ENTITLED" is a BS rationalization. I don't give a crap that some call it "stealing," what annoys me is the a) obvious self inflicted delusion that people want to believe that unlimited data for a phone means unlimited data for whatever they want, b) that it's giving Verizon additional rationalizations for limiting our abilities to mod our phones (the "OMG see they're "stealing services" we can't let them root).

If you're going to lie to yourself that you're entitled to tether do the community a favor and keep it to yourself.

Edit: Although I do agree that you own your device and should be allowed to do whatever you want to it and I think it's a reasonable request as long as we don't cost the carriers additional money to support us (in other words, hardware warranty should remain intact but don't expect them to support the comprehensive warranty if you're modded).

I don't even care about the warranty. Even if the screen goes dead I can still SBF back and there will be no trace of liberty since it is a solid state storage.

We don't cost them more using more data. They massively overcharge for data. They just don't like the amount of bandwidth we use up. If everyone paid for the lousy tethering service they would still have the same issue. What we pay for data goes way beyond what it costs them to give us the data service.

danielkr

Reaction score
I'd like to take the OTA just so I'm not on any lists Verizon might be compiling. Will the following steps work:

1. Make backup
2. SBF to stock FroYo
3. Accept OTA
4. SBF to stock FroYo
5. Root, install clockwork recovery, restore backup

Would that put me back where I currently am (.591 Giberated)?

Thanks for y'all's thoughts,

Daniel

CD95YJ

Reaction score
If the radio version or bootloader change you wont be able to sbf back to froyo. Something tells me vzw thought of that too.