[Official] R2-D2 [D2] Owners Thread

Redflea

Silver Member
Reaction score
Thanks! I knew most of that stuff already (precautions, returning to stock before returning to store), but I'm sure not everyone did. I read on XDA that 2.2.20 won't work on the R2D2, and the poor guy bricked his phone. So...I think I'll wait.

But good to know a ROM is incoming tonight!

By the way, someone earlier in the thread mentioned that the 123 easy-root worked for their X but didn't work for them on the R2D2. Give it a few tries. It works, I promise. I've successfully done it (and unrooted) with that method twice...long story.

Sent from my Droid R2D2 using Tapatalk

Where'd you see that post on XDA?

R2D2 is the same HW as the standard D2...if he really bricked his Droid (and I've only ever heard of developers futzing around bricking anything), I'd initially be much more suspect of something not being done right, or other issues, than the SBF not being compatible. I'd like to read more about it.

Redflea

Silver Member
Reaction score
[Q] R2D2 sbf - xda-developers

He mentions the regular D2 firmware about halfway down the thread.

Yeah, I found it.

I would not set that as fact w/out more info...it is good to caution people about it so folks are cautious, but one post does not necessarily indicate there is a problem w/the SBF on the R2D2 yet. Who knows if this person knew what they were doing, or made an operator error while SBF-ing, etc.

I'm asking some questions on the thread over there to get more info...

Reaction score
Yeah, I found it.

I would not set that as fact w/out more info...it is good to caution people about it so folks are cautious, but one post does not necessarily indicate there is a problem w/the SBF on the R2D2 yet. Who knows if this person knew what they were doing, or made an operator error while SBF-ing, etc.

I'm asking some questions on the thread over there to get more info...

Sorry for causing unnecessary alarm. I just always want a sure backup plan in case of disaster when trying new, untested things.
And yeah, I noticed the person seemed a bit discombobulated. Hopefully you can help shed some light on that.

rexit1982

Reaction score
I'm the dude who made that post.

What info would you like about the brickage?

I used RSDlite 4.7. the flash get to the reboot point and then got a bootloader error that said "bootloader err:A5,70,70,00,1f". I found this was the same error that DroidX users who OTA'd to their 2.2 update and then tried to SBF back to 2.1.

PiranhaDroid

Reaction score
That was me that tried the 123 ez root on the r2d2 and it didn't work. Did you use that method to root your r2d2?

Yes. I wasn't sure it would work at first (and then I had an unrelated problem with the adb program) but I tried it a few times and it finally recognized and worked. Make sure if USB debugging doesn't show up in the notification window in PC mode, switch to Charge Only. The USB debugging thing is crucial.

I just tried it again. It hangs on the part that says..

Adb connection will be reset...
Then 5 minutes later it comes back and says this...
Could not kill pid 8124: no such process

~Droid X~

Reaction score
I had that error, too. I wish I knew what was different when I got it to work, but I don't remember anything being different. I just tried it later after restarting my computer, and it suddenly worked.

PiranhaDroid

Reaction score
Ugh... I don't know why its doing it... Had no problems what so ever when I rooted my x last night

~Droid X~

PiranhaDroid

Reaction score
Hmmmm I copied the Files into the tools folder again and tried it a third time...
It gets a little further and says it loss daemon successfully then checking for device...

It then comes back and says boot failed would you like to retry y or n

~Droid X~

PiranhaDroid

Reaction score
Ok finally got it to work on try#5.
Unplugged phone, rebooted phone, rebooted computer, plugged in phone, started the program and voila! Root with no errors!

~Droid X~

Pbrad08

Reaction score
hrxxz4.jpg

Count me in! dancedroid

Sorry for image quality, sent from my old iDon't.

PiranhaDroid

Reaction score
Unplugged phone, rebooted phone, rebooted computer, plugged in phone, started the program and voila! Root with no errors!

~Droid X~

See? Persistence pays. :) Congrats.

Couldn't have done it without u! Thank you for giving me the confidence to keep trying :)

Now I need to figure out how to install a stealthy way of forwarding my gf's text messages to my email.
(i know its morally questionable but she's been hiding stuff from me and it had me worried.. That's why I bought her a phone on my plan.) ;)

Anyone know how I can turn r2d2 into a rebel spy? ;)

~Droid X~

Redflea

Silver Member
Reaction score

~Droid X~

Just like we said...easy! :D