[Official] R2-D2 [D2] Owners Thread

Redflea

Silver Member
Reaction score
Not sure - my phone is rooted so I can't test - I never tried to access /System w/ a file manager when unrooted. Linda File Explorer and Astro are possibilities.

However, I'd say that if here phone is going to be rooted, then you should have Root Explorer on it as well, I find it an indispensable tool...one of the few paid apps that carries its weight over the long term.

Let us know how it goes...

PiranhaDroid

Reaction score
Ok I got root explorer copied to her phone, what dump files do you guys need and where do I upload them?

Redflea

Silver Member
Reaction score
You da man!! :)

Would love to get /System. If that's too big, then:

/System/app
/System/framework
/System/build.prop

As to where, I don't have a repository available, but I think Motaboy does...I know another dev (928Droid) would love to get his hands on this as well and he has a web site up and running - I'll PM him and see if he has a place you can put it.

Failing that, you could use something like Mediafire.

So for now, if you can pull /System to your hard drive and zip it and see how big that ends up being that would be very cool. :D

Update - sounds like they really only need /System/app, /System/framework, and /System/build.prop, so maybe get those into a zip file first.

PiranhaDroid

Reaction score
I have all 3 of those zipped and ready to go. Are there any sensitive files in there that would allow people to hack into my phone? If theres not should I just post them on here?

Redflea

Silver Member
Reaction score
I have all 3 of those zipped and ready to go. Are there any sensitive files in there that would allow people to hack into my phone? If theres not should I just post them on here?

Not sensitive - those files are all operating system and default app files installed w/Android. Your stuff is in /data...

I haven't tried to post files here so don't know what the policies are, or if they have file-size limits that might keep you from uploading them.

Feel free to give it a shot...if not, then Mediafire is what I've used in the past...

PiranhaDroid

Reaction score
I created a mediafire account and am uploading them now, its gonna take 25 minutes to upload them. Total file size for all 3 is 107.29 mb. Dunno why its taking so long but at least they are going up there ;) always glad to help the community :)

Now when rooting this badboy, is there something different in the r2d2 droid 2 than the regular droid 2 that would prevent me from rooting it? I just want to make sure I dont brick my phone. The one click method I posted earlier was way easy for the x and the other method looks a lil bit more complicated and i'm just not comfortable with command prompts.

Redflea

Silver Member
Reaction score
I created a mediafire account and am uploading them now, its gonna take 25 minutes to upload them. Total file size for all 3 is 107.29 mb. Dunno why its taking so long but at least they are going up there ;) always glad to help the community :)

Now when rooting this badboy, is there something different in the r2d2 droid 2 than the regular droid 2 that would prevent me from rooting it? I just want to make sure I dont brick my phone. The one click method I posted earlier was way easy for the x and the other method looks a lil bit more complicated and i'm just not comfortable with command prompts.

I haven't seen anything posted that indicates the R2D2 has any significant change in 2.4.5, other than general updates to the OS and the star wars stuff...

The root process is fully reversible, so shouldn't be a problem if you want to unroot.

The main considerations right now are:

- ROMs/Themes: There are no ROMs or themes available yet (obviously) for 2.4.5, so there's no reason to root to do that

- Tether: Available now w/root, also available w/out root via PDANet

- Root-requiring apps: Like Titanium Backup...Available now w/root if you need/want them

You might want to wait a bit on rooting your D2 unless there are specific things like above you want to do...until Motaboy and 928Droid get their hands on 2.4.5 and start rolling out themes/ROMs there really isn't a ton to do with a rooted D2.

The root process I pointed you at really is quite easy to do and undo, so the risk is minimal, but some risk is always there of course.

Redflea

Silver Member
Reaction score

Didn't want to forget to say thank you for providing the files...very cool. :D

rexit1982

Reaction score
Looks like I was beaten to the punch!.. If you need anything else off the device let me know.

PiranhaDroid

Reaction score
Ugh, my r2 has been acting up since I tried to root last night. It stopped halfway through the process of rooting so I thi nk something might be borked in it. The bluetooth isnt turning on properly amongst other things. I hard to reboot the phone to get it to work properly now

Redflea

Silver Member
Reaction score
Ugh, my r2 has been acting up since I tried to root last night. It stopped halfway through the process of rooting so I thi nk something might be borked in it. The bluetooth isnt turning on properly amongst other things. I hard to reboot the phone to get it to work properly now

So are you rooted? Open Terminal app and type su....do you get an error?

Redflea

Silver Member
Reaction score
Looks like I was beaten to the punch!.. If you need anything else off the device let me know.

Thanks for the offer.

You can ship your phone to me so I can do extensive testing of the R2D2. ;-)