[Official] R2-D2 [D2] Owners Thread

chasehammer

Reaction score
i concur that someone that already has the GB update installed needs to make a backup and upload it for us. Im thinking this is going to be the only way to get around the update checking issue.

peterdoctor

Reaction score
I think this is our only hope atm, anyone able to oblige?

Sent from my R2D2 using DroidForums

Ok, I finally got mine to update successfully. Give me a few minutes and I'll write up how I got it to work.

IMG_0190.jpg

jedifire11

Reaction score
Looking forward to the writeup, peterdoctor!

peterdoctor

Reaction score
AWESOME ! ! ! Rock On peterdoctor ! ! Thanks for the update !

After several failed attempts here were the steps I took.

History: I never installed roms, only ever rooted the phone.

1. Root phone.
2. Reboot.
3. Went to /system/apps/ to rename all *.BAK files back to *.APK. (I renamed a lot of bloatware files to *.BAK instead of deleting them; for example Blockbuster.apk).
4. Unroot phone.
5. Reboot.
6. Remove SD card from phone.
7. Did a factory reset - settings, privacy, factory data reset.
8. Ran the OTA update - settings, about phone, system update.
9. Successfully upgraded to Gingerbread.

Sent from my DROID R2-D2 using DroidForums

chasehammer

Reaction score
sigh, back to square one. aside from removing the SD card been there done that.

mind making a backup of it for all of us Peterdoctor?

jedifire11

Reaction score
I agree with chase, it would be greatly appreciated if you could provide a backup for us. Most of us have installed other ROMs, I know I had to in order to keep it from rebooting constantly on its own. That may affect the update process as well.

peterdoctor

Reaction score
Sure, but need you to tell me how or show me a link with instructions because I have never done that before.

Sent from my DROID R2-D2 using DroidForums

Zottig

Reaction score
I believe what you're going to have to do is install the Z4root app. It allows rooting and unrooting. Once that's installed you then need the Droid2 Bootstrapper program which allows you to make a clockwork backup which is saved on the SD card. Thing is you'd want to do a factory reset before any of this so your personal data isn't in the backup.

Ben

bigdav1178

Reaction score
I have a hunch the problem that most of us are experiencing has to do with the date stamps on the system files. I noticed that when you restore a CWM/nandroid backup, the files' modified dates reflect the date of your restoration (at least this was my case - mine said 9/13/11; should have been 9/11/10). I'm not sure how you would make the modified dates correct. I could be wrong, but I wouldn't be surprised if that was the cause of this mess.

Has anyone here still experiencing problems with the update NOT performed a restore on their phone using CWM?

bigdav1178

Reaction score
i dont think Z4Root works on gingerbread. think you have to using a computer...not sure though.

I believe you are correct; I think SuperOneClick works for Gingerbread Moto phones, but it does require the use of a connected PC.

Zottig

Reaction score
It checks the SHA1 or MD5 hash on the files. It pukes on either the logwrapper file or boot related files. Considering you have to SBF to a Droid2 to do anything some bits might be from the Droid2 not the Droid R2D2. I'm just guessing, but I do know that the update script file in the GB update has the hash value it's looking for each system file. I think the date is irrelevant because once I fixed the logwrapper file it died farther down in the check at something called the MDH boot checksum. At that point I figured I am screwed unless there is a real R2D2 sbf or someone posts a post GB update clockwork backup.

Ben

chasehammer

Reaction score
It checks the SHA1 or MD5 hash on the files. It pukes on either the logwrapper file or boot related files. Considering you have to SBF to a Droid2 to do anything some bits might be from the Droid2 not the Droid R2D2. I'm just guessing, but I do know that the update script file in the GB update has the hash value it's looking for each system file. I think the date is irrelevant because once I fixed the logwrapper file it died farther down in the check at something called the MDH boot checksum. At that point I figured I am screwed unless there is a real R2D2 sbf or someone posts a post GB update clockwork backup.

Ben

i concur. mine always fails on AdService.apk. Pretty sure if it fails you are screwed unless you have a backup. Ive tried every which way to get this to work but it doesnt want to unless you hold its hand, treat it to dinner, give it access to your money and pleasure it with a french tickler....in other words it has to like you.