[Official] R2-D2 [D2] Owners Thread

Discussion in 'Motorola Droid 2' started by DF Smod, Sep 30, 2010.

1. GuiltyBreak

GuiltyBreak Member

I got to check this out!! thanks
  2. MrCatPC

MrCatPC Member

@ GultyBreak, Yes, DO! Re: root goodness & Re: bypassing bootanimation.zip, let us know what you think or if you want help.

::: In other news :::

Today I ordered replacement parts for R2D2:
    * another keypad overlay
    * digitizer+glass
    * speaker grille sticker
    * antenna back sticker **
    * cam lens back sticker **
    ** = see below re these back panel pieces...

I have on-hand the chrome face frame (not installed during previous keypad repair), and that will finally be utilized. When I verify that replacement digitizer solves the schizo touch screen touching itself (stop that, it's dirty!), fresh keypad will go on the slider, and then...

I usually have the backlight activator override set to force keyboard illumination off full-time. I have noticed a substantial drop in temperature after using this app, which requires root, of course. :)K ...anyone wants a Google Play market link to that one or the other one which overrides illumination of the home row touch buttons, I'll post both via edit (or you may PM me).

Yes I type too much, it's obvious (here & everywhere else), and this artoo unit tends to be primary e-mail, LogMeIn, txt (duh derp de derp) communication device for my support biz. Therefore the keypad design overheats, bubbles up as adhesive flexes/fails, and before long the seams between "keys" (they're not really key cap mechanisms anyway) separate... the letter [G] (dead center ish) was first to peel off last time. And the keyboard gets noisy while typing since there's air pocketed between the pink ELF layer & the back of the keypad. More travel, more click?

** (above) A955 back stickers are just in case I destroy the blue lens panel or silver-blue antenna cover on the R2-D2 design while accessing the hidden slider screws for the display removal/replacement. I didn't replace my cracked chrome frame last time because I was unsure about those 1 or 2 screws, you know, after extracting at least 6-7 by carefully flexing the slider & deciding removing the screen was too much work at that point. So if I can't double-stick-tape the R2-D2 themed back panel pieces after repair, then he'll go dark side with black instead.

To that end, daydreaming on the dark side, already considering a wrap redesign to transform this device into an R2-Q5 anyway, black & bronze, but that will be a when-I-have-time (when?) kind of mod. Mock-ups are in my gallery, photochopped brainstorming, definitely not bragging there. Using a clear case with paint on the inside and a contact paper covering that, so paint shows through outside under the clear case shell and doesn't rub off onto the actual device, maybe that's a reasonable project solution.

The bottom line:

I missed out on NEW boxed A957 offering on eBay for $160 (BIN price), just not in my getting-kids-back-to-school budget. So of course eBay shopping for D4 as replacement is silly for me, too, right now. Meanwhile have watched auctions with "Droid 4 plus bonus Droid 2" (both used condition), often won for the same bid range as a D4 or D4+accessories. Because of the improvement in its keyboard design, the knowledge I can root to control keyboard backlighting (among _other_ things root allows *ahem*), and well, keeping unlim data by not shopping with VZW subsidy, the next goal IS ABSOLUTELY D4. At that point, my R2-D2 will become a WiFi only game/video unit (plus perhaps a 2nd D2 for the same features, we have 2 boys that DO NOT get to play "Lego 4+" or any other games on Daddy's next biz device). Knowing the scrapes, scuffs, and drops this A957 has survived I wouldn't oppose a gently used "new to me" device.

So I figured $43 for a genuine A957 glass+digitizer (R2-D2 flare bumps price up from other $30ish A955 compatible parts I've seen), a few more bucks here & there for extra screws, speaker grille sticker etc., not a bad fix overall. Results to follow (incl step-by-step pics, if anybody's interested)...

[Pause R2-D2 pre-op transmission, plastic surgery bits en route for transplant]

NEWS [08/27/2012]: Parts arrived today, planned to install tonight!
  3. AbusedRib

AbusedRib New Member

Does anybody know if it's possible to pull the Asteroids.apk (3D Millenium Falcon Live Wallpaper) and install it on another phone?

Whenever I try, I get app was not installed error. Reading around it seems to be some kind of odex/framework issue? Is there any way to get around that?
  4. MrCatPC

MrCatPC Member

If it helps, when I ran the Droid 2 v621 SBF+root, my R2D2 "became a Droid 2 model A955" and refused to open any of the StarWars ESB content, including the live wallpaper & intro "Best of R2D2" movie. So since my R2D2 was temporarily "another phone" until I used the newer Droid 2 v622+root made for R2D2 model A957, I'd say yes that it's a model-identity thing mismatched somewhere deep in there.

I want to say there was some mention of exported SW ESB content somebody extrapolated to install on other phones, but that's my muddy memory. Maybe try a search for that? The Hacks forum could be helpful for general APK export stuff...

I have no experience with deodexing, reverse-engineering in Android/Motorola software, or splitting atoms, so maybe someone else can chime in? If it was, say, the Windows system registry, I'd be onboard & all-in to help/hack you out... :)K
  5. MrCatPC

MrCatPC Member

BHIGHAM: THANK YOU AGAIN!!

Yesterday found my R2D2 displaying the (M) moto logo and unresponsive after an overnight charge on cradle (original StarWars R2-D2 dock and Moto AC power cable). Panic! This would not do for my business phone on a busy Friday, naturally.

Temporarily I activated the zombie phone: rooted Moto Devour (devour, zombie, see what I did there?), and ambled through the day's PC support biz on what felt like very lo-tech hardware. Devour, you sir are no Artoo. Then I experimented on beloved R2 in his sudden coma state...

When I got home last night, dug up the USB battery bypass cable I made when last "unbricking" the A957 from low battery power failure mid-flash once upon a time, and tested whether low power or battery defect could be the cause of this new problem. Nope.

Keeping battery bypass cable AND battery in place (bypass cable to the ± pins, battery on the two center pins), original Moto "ECO" USB data cable connected to laptop & Artoo's micro-USB port, we booted up the trusty 622SBF+Root_EZSBF CD and ran the full SBF reflash for 622. Did it fix the problem? Nope. However...

I decided a working phone at no upgrade/replacement/repair cost (even to Asurion or eBay) would be worth the loss of data if doing a factory reset data wipe was all we needed to get past the glowing red/white (M) seemingly permanent boot logo... So I ran BootLoader mode (battery was fully charged now so pulled bypass cable out of the battery chamber), vol/pwr buttons to erase all data, and then...

Ahem, bhigham, my hero, to the rescue again: booted up the trusty 622SBF+Root_EZSBF CD and performed the 622-compliant ROOT process successfully to re-root Artoo.

I guess I was amassing too many apps anyway, considering I spent considerable time reinstalling from Google Play/Market history, taking a moment to delete several apps from my download history so the list still takes several swipes to scroll through but doesn't contain so many apps I "tried and tossed" long forgotten & unwanted. Just wish I had been better about setting up automatic schedule for call logs & sms restore backup routines so I could retrieve everything in my conversation history that was there before Friday's adventure began. Oh well...

PS. Thanks I guess also is owed to "my googles" for tracking & saving so many little things I would otherwise miss in a big way. Titanium Backup will probably help with the rest. :)K

AND ONCE AGAIN OUR BELOVED ARTOO UNIT IS SPARED THE HORROR OF RECYCLING, HAVING NARROWLY ESCAPED REPLACEMENT. LONG LIVE UNLIMITED DATA!! What's that you say? UnltdData is dead?? Times like this I wonder if the grass is greener on the other side: should I switch carriers? When this well-worn R2D2 finally quits operating then I'll buy his replacement unsubsidized (3rd party, outside of VZW) just to keep my unlimited family data plan unchanged. Good to know at least that a day activating & using the old Moto Devour zombie phone (a.k.a. not-so-smart-phone) did not cause any change to *the plan.*
  6. zephyrjs

zephyrjs New Member

refurb your own?

Anyone have some sort of guide on how to refurb your own R2D2, or at least swap out the case? Mine's getting pretty dinged up; since there's no root w/o flashing, I can either:

a) buy a new unit, reinstall everything, transfer over as much of the data as I can (can't touch internal memory though)
    b) refurb what I've got

I'm not looking forward to losing a bunch of my data, so I think it might be best to just swap out the esthetic elements (case, etc.) and call it a day.

If there IS some way to just physically swap out the innards into a new phone though, including internal memory, that would be ideal. I really don't know much about this though, so if there's a do-it-yourself repair manual (preferably something that doesn't require sodering), then I'd be willing to take an afternoon and take a crack at it.
  7. justin82

justin82 DF Super Moderator Staff Member Premium Member

8. themib

themib Well-Known Member

9. zephyrjs

zephyrjs New Member

Why thank you! Very helpful. I can't tell if these parts have the R2D2 markings though - are there parts available for the R2D2 specifically, or just these Droid 2 parts? (I did look myself first before asking - I don't see anything specific on that site unfortunately, but maybe the markings just aren't shown in the photos.)

Of course, I COULD just buy another R2D2, tear it down using these guides, and use that for the parts, if I must have the graphics. :)
  10. themib

themib Well-Known Member

so many people have downloaded bhigham's files, that rapidshare has cut him off
    new links here Magic MD5 Root 2.3.4 for D2, R2D2, D2G, DX and 2.3.5 for DX2 - Google Docs
  11. themib

themib Well-Known Member

the D2 and R2D2 internal parts are the same, don't think you can buy just the outside shell, for either
  12. zephyrjs

zephyrjs New Member

Thank you. That answers my question.
  13. izzfizzleyo

izzfizzleyo New Member

hello all you wonderful people who also own droids!:)
    got a few simple questions if you don't mind..!
    I currently own a droid 2 global, however he just started acting up (issues with the screen, shouldn't be texting when its raining/snowing)
    so i'm looking into a new droid and I am not totally sure what the differences are between the Droid 2 and the Droid 2 global,
    but the main thing I wanted to ask is how does the R2D2 differ from the D2G? because it is such a kickbutt looking phone but I dont want to ..move backwards so to speak?
  14. themib

themib Well-Known Member

droid R2D2 a957, has a 1g processor and is cdma (verizon) only
    droid 2 Global a956 has a 1.2g processor, radio is cdma and gms(global)

the rest is virtually the same, the processor difference is minor
  15. izzfizzleyo

izzfizzleyo New Member

ahhh okay!
    thank you so much for the insight!
    (the R2D2 doesn't have a sim card spot like the D2G right?)
  16. themib

themib Well-Known Member

correct r2d2 is cdma so no sim card slot
  17. themib

themib Well-Known Member

[ROOT] Framaroot, a one-click .apk to root
    I have verified it works with these Motorola devices running android 2.3.4
    Droid 2 (a955), Droid 2 Global (a956), R2D2 (a957), & Droid X (MB810)

just download, allow unknown sources, install, open, select top root method (Gimli), reboot phone, done

no pc needed
  18. MrCatPC

MrCatPC Member

Niiiice! Thanks, themib, and for noting the overload on bhigham's rapid share source.

My R2D2 is soon to be a toy now that I'm typing on a new Droid 4. I, too, may be swapping new parts onto the old artoo unit before re-sbf-ing & re-rooting it with disabled VZW radio to be a strictly Wi-Fi game/media drone. This would be keyboard overlay replacement #3, screen frame #2, and he needs new adhesive on the antenna + cam plates.

I will share R2-specific links if I find anyplace new vending parts, but I've been considering a "dead" decent physical condition eBay option for transplanting R2's good guts this time around, as long as I'm already geared for tearing down this phone again. Maybe I'll get creative & pursue those R2-Q5 dark side droid designs I was dreaming up once upon a time...
  19. zephyrjs

zephyrjs New Member

I don't know why I didn't get notified of this post when it was posted, but I just wanted thank you - I've been waiting a long time for this. :D
  20. themib

themib Well-Known Member

You only get one notification, per thread, it resets when you visit the thread.
    Your welcome.
Search tags for this page
boyfriend hiding apps on android
droid r2d2 overheating
droid r2d2 restarting 2013
motorola droid 2 r2d2 wallpaper
office space fax machine
r2d2 digitizer issues
r2d2 motorola open case screw
r2d2 phone glitching really bad. does the wifi updates fix t

r2d2 shell

r2d2 wallpaper