[Official] R2-D2 [D2] Owners Thread

Discussion in 'Motorola Droid 2' started by DF Smod, Sep 30, 2010.

1. Redflea

Redflea New Member

Seriously? I had no idea...I've always been rooted so I've never even tried to view those folders unrooted. Nice...makes it easier for someone w/an R2D2 to do it. :)
  2. Acdc695969

Acdc695969 New Member

Getting my R2 today. I'm reel excited as this is my first droid n when I saw that I knew I had to have it especially since it was time for my upgrade, what a coincidence lol my question is, will I be able to use the one click root method to root it? If not can someone point me in the right direction as I don't want to brick my phone :)
  3. PiranhaDroid

PiranhaDroid New Member

r2d2 root

I am new to this forum but I bought a droid x on the 15th of july and an r2d2 droid 2 for my gf on the 30th (her Birthday). I just rooted my droid x no problem tonight by using this method..

Easier 1-2-3 Droid 2 Root for Windows / Linux / Mac - xda-developers

and following this video...

After I rooted my Droid x, I tried to root the R2D2 droid and it didn't work.

If someone can point me in the right direction to getting this r2d2 rooted I will be more than happy to send you the 2.4.5.a957 system dump.

Love the forums by the way!
  4. Redflea

Redflea New Member

5. PiranhaDroid

PiranhaDroid New Member

Thx flea, i'll try that method tomorrow before work if I have time. Is there a free file explorer that I can copy the dump off her r2d2? I downloaded root explorer on my X but I need a free way to get it off hers.
  6. Redflea

Redflea New Member

Not sure - my phone is rooted so I can't test - I never tried to access /System w/ a file manager when unrooted. Linda File Explorer and Astro are possibilities.

However, I'd say that if here phone is going to be rooted, then you should have Root Explorer on it as well, I find it an indispensable tool...one of the few paid apps that carries its weight over the long term.

Let us know how it goes...
  7. PiranhaDroid

PiranhaDroid New Member

Ok I got root explorer copied to her phone, what dump files do you guys need and where do I upload them?
  8. Redflea

Redflea New Member

You da man!! :)

Would love to get /System. If that's too big, then:

/System/app
    /System/framework
    /System/build.prop

As to where, I don't have a repository available, but I think Motaboy does...I know another dev (928Droid) would love to get his hands on this as well and he has a web site up and running - I'll PM him and see if he has a place you can put it.

Failing that, you could use something like Mediafire.

So for now, if you can pull /System to your hard drive and zip it and see how big that ends up being that would be very cool. :D

Update - sounds like they really only need /System/app, /System/framework, and /System/build.prop, so maybe get those into a zip file first.
  9. PiranhaDroid

PiranhaDroid New Member

I have all 3 of those zipped and ready to go. Are there any sensitive files in there that would allow people to hack into my phone? If theres not should I just post them on here?
  10. Redflea

Redflea New Member

Not sensitive - those files are all operating system and default app files installed w/Android. Your stuff is in /data...

I haven't tried to post files here so don't know what the policies are, or if they have file-size limits that might keep you from uploading them.

Feel free to give it a shot...if not, then Mediafire is what I've used in the past...
  11. PiranhaDroid

PiranhaDroid New Member

I created a mediafire account and am uploading them now, its gonna take 25 minutes to upload them. Total file size for all 3 is 107.29 mb. Dunno why its taking so long but at least they are going up there ;) always glad to help the community :)

Now when rooting this badboy, is there something different in the r2d2 droid 2 than the regular droid 2 that would prevent me from rooting it? I just want to make sure I dont brick my phone. The one click method I posted earlier was way easy for the x and the other method looks a lil bit more complicated and i'm just not comfortable with command prompts.
  12. Redflea

Redflea New Member

I haven't seen anything posted that indicates the R2D2 has any significant change in 2.4.5, other than general updates to the OS and the star wars stuff...

The root process is fully reversible, so shouldn't be a problem if you want to unroot.

The main considerations right now are:

- ROMs/Themes: There are no ROMs or themes available yet (obviously) for 2.4.5, so there's no reason to root to do that

- Tether: Available now w/root, also available w/out root via PDANet

- Root-requiring apps: Like Titanium Backup...Available now w/root if you need/want them

You might want to wait a bit on rooting your D2 unless there are specific things like above you want to do...until Motaboy and 928Droid get their hands on 2.4.5 and start rolling out themes/ROMs there really isn't a ton to do with a rooted D2.

The root process I pointed you at really is quite easy to do and undo, so the risk is minimal, but some risk is always there of course.
  13. Redflea

Redflea New Member

Didn't want to forget to say thank you for providing the files...very cool. :D
  14. rexit1982

rexit1982 New Member

Looks like I was beaten to the punch!.. If you need anything else off the device let me know.
  15. PiranhaDroid

PiranhaDroid New Member

16. Redflea

Redflea New Member

Woot!!
    :icon_ banana:dancedroid:icon_ banana:dancedroid
  17. PiranhaDroid

PiranhaDroid New Member

Ugh, my r2 has been acting up since I tried to root last night. It stopped halfway through the process of rooting so I thi nk something might be borked in it. The bluetooth isnt turning on properly amongst other things. I hard to reboot the phone to get it to work properly now
  18. Redflea

Redflea New Member

So are you rooted? Open Terminal app and type su....do you get an error?
  19. Redflea

Redflea New Member

Thanks for the offer.

You can ship your phone to me so I can do extensive testing of the R2D2. ;-)
  20. AngDroid

AngDroid Premium Member Premium Member Developer

Thanks man!

The complete system folder would be cool. Sent you a PM.
Search tags for this page
boyfriend hiding apps on android
droid r2d2 overheating
droid r2d2 restarting 2013
motorola droid 2 r2d2 wallpaper
office space fax machine
r2d2 digitizer issues
r2d2 motorola open case screw
r2d2 phone glitching really bad. does the wifi updates fix t

r2d2 shell

r2d2 wallpaper

soa wallpaper