[Official] R2-D2 [D2] Owners Thread

Discussion in 'Motorola Droid 2' started by DF Smod, Sep 30, 2010.

1. AngDroid

AngDroid Premium Member Premium Member Developer

I was not planning on getting one but am/was a Star Wars fan and I "happened" to walk by a Verizon store at the mall. I was kind of surprised they had them in stock. Needless to say, I walked out with one.
  2. JimMariner

JimMariner New Member

My original interest in this thread was, my GF's Son wanted one bad, So I helped him get it. Since he is on my account, It's almost like it's mine :p I guess I have one in the family now.

His R2D2 arrived friday afternoon. FedEx next day FREE shipping. He is Stoked !!! He's a big Star Wars Fan. And an up and coming Android Dev.

So this means, my Droid 1 comes back into my hands once again. :)
  3. SlateJones

SlateJones New Member

Mine will be arriving Monday... I will most likely root, but keep the original star wars rom. Just want to be able to keep using all my root apps that I have previously purchased for my Droid.... until then Im just patiently waiting on the porch watching for the fedex truck... Hurry up.
  4. GunslingerXIX

GunslingerXIX New Member

Well, go ahead and add me to the list! I'm a proud owner of an R2D2 Droid 2 : )
  5. celebi23

celebi23 New Member

I don't have an R2-D2 Droid 2 but, I do have a small request for those who have one & have rooted it. I'm looking for 2 of the Live Wallpapers that aren't located in /system/app. I'm looking for the "3D Millennium Falcon" & the "The Empire Strikes Back" Live Wallpapers.
    They're shown/listed in this video

If anyone has root & can somehow extract the apk's, I'd greatly appreciate it :D
  6. CYodaRun

CYodaRun New Member

Mine should arrive on Monday as well. This will be my first smart phone experience.....I have no idea what I was thinking? I can barely send a text message!
  7. danbuc09

danbuc09 New Member

I had an X and gave that to my brother. Now I have this and love it. It seems faster than the X.
  8. Johnny Zoo

Johnny Zoo New Member

r2

I just got my droid 2 R2 edition on Friday. I just came from an iPhone and decided to make the switch to Verizon after seeing that this phone was coming out. So, I will be asking questions on here, and hopefully, people can help out!

Such as this: Does anyone know how to turn off the facebook contacts on it, but still have the pictures show from their facebook accounts?

Been having trouble but playing around with it I have learned a lot so far!
  9. bhughesiii

bhughesiii New Member

I would love to have one, but no money = no way.. Unless family chips in together to buy me one for my birfday.
  10. faefaeR2

faefaeR2 New Member

I received my R2D2 D2 on Friday!dancedroid I ordered it at 11:30 central time on the 29th! It is my first Android based phone after going through a couple of blackberries:blackberry:. It is taking me some getting used to but I'm getting there! I am really like the Android system, but I love R2! I don't know if I'll root mine or anything else, simply because I never have before. I have actually been surprised that they haven't sold out yet, but then again I guess a lot of people upgraded with the X or regular D2 came out. I saw an R2D2 D2 listed on EBay for something like $1,200 already! Craziness!:heart:
  11. rexit1982

rexit1982 New Member

I actually own 1.5 R2D2 units. I got my first one Friday ... and bricked it friday night rooting it and putting roms for Droid2's on it :) New one will be here Tuesday.
  12. AngDroid

What version is everyone's R2-D2? 2.4.0 or 2.4.5? If 2.4.5 and if you would like to help me with something would you please PM me.
  13. Redflea

Redflea New Member

Cool...saw that as well, glad you're on it! :)
  14. AngDroid

I have one as a collectors item but I really do not want to open it, root it and not be able to SBF it.

If anyone can provide me with a system dump of 2.4.5 you will be doing myself and the rest of the D2 community a favor :)

Thanks!
  15. Redflea

Redflea New Member

The D2 and R2D2 are the same phone...why they are holding back on releasing a 2.4.5 OTA update (assuming it does exist) is beyond me. Wonder what they are cooking up?
  16. Redflea

Redflea New Member

Android Forums - View Single Post - R2D2 Droid

Got one here confirming 2.4.5, Motaboy. Thought you might want to contact him to get the 2.4.5 dump... :)
  17. rexit1982

rexit1982 New Member

I have 2.4.5.A957.
  18. efexay

efexay New Member

Here's my story..

Supposed to be a costume contest at my store at 9:30PM. I show up at 10:15ish and there's a Verizon employee playing techno on a complete DJ setup outside and like 12 Vz employees inside. Yet there are only 5 customers including me at the store. Apparently, they'd been doing trivia contests all day for the phone and I arrive just in time for the last one. It's down to the 3rd and final round of trivia between me and some kid that's been there all day. He wins*. (It really should have gone to the next trivia question because the way the previous 2 rounds had gone, if everyone got the multiple choice question wrong, and it happened like twice, the Vz employee would say the correct answer and move on to another question. For some reason in the final round: he guesses wrong, I guess wrong, and he's allowed to make another guess with only 2 multiple choice left in the pool. I got screwed, but I was instantly over it and tried to congratulate him as he ran around the store like an idiot hugging all the employees.)

Moments later, I was buying the phone anyway and the store guy screwed up and charged me $326 and wanted to give me $100 in Verizon bucks (account credit?) or a debit card via mail-in rebate. Something about because it was only 11PM our time, the rebate wasn't kicking in the system? Who knows. I was like **** no and I got it for $199.99 as my new 2 every 2.

We got the Droid X for my wife this past Saturday. Sweet phone. But I don't regret my buy one bit. X is humongous and I don't do belt clips so I'd rather not put that ogre of a phone in my pocket. I figure, if something awesome comes out on 4G/LTE within a year, I'll pay the $20 and upgrade. Otherwise, I haven't even felt a need to overclock my R2Droid. Noticeable difference from Droid I.

Can't really see but I got a matching blue case for the screen part of the phone that looks pretty sweet. Will have a clear gel one for the bottom part soon.

[​IMG]

Thanks for reading all.
  19. Redflea

Redflea New Member

I'm sure motaboy would love a /System dump, or at least /System/app and /System/Framework, and the /system/build.prop file.

All you need to do is root (takes just a few minutes) extract the files, and then you can unroot and your phone will remain stock 2.4.5 (assuming that's what you want).
  20. AngDroid

Would you perform a system dump for us?

Yes I would...even the app and framework folders would be good for now. You can use root explorer, even if not rooted to copy the app and framework folders :)
Search tags for this page
boyfriend hiding apps on android
droid r2d2 overheating
droid r2d2 restarting 2013
motorola droid 2 r2d2 wallpaper
office space fax machine
r2d2 digitizer issues
r2d2 motorola open case screw
r2d2 phone glitching really bad. does the wifi updates fix t

r2d2 shell

r2d2 wallpaper

soa wallpaper